S-Chassis.com

S-Chassis.com (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/)
-   NA Motor (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/na-motor-11/)
-   -   What can i do to my engine? (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/na-motor-11/what-can-i-do-my-engine-10541/)

speedsleeper 03-05-2004 07:39 PM

What can i do to my engine?

Hey, I'm sure that this question has probly been answered before if it has then sry. I am getting a new egine very soon and i would really really like the ca18det out of all the engines, but my dad doesn't want me to do anything "illegal" what can I do to make my car legal in california, even know my friend is sitting here teling me that it is impossible to get a jdm engine smogged in cali legally.
Tom

hitokiri_808 03-05-2004 08:31 PM

read the sticky in the "engine swap" thread. no matter what it will be illegal.

-HyJynX- 03-05-2004 09:58 PM

In cali, everything is illegal:(

matt180sx 03-06-2004 12:26 AM

and everything gives you cancer too, not in other states, only cali so watch out for that too

-HyJynX- 03-06-2004 12:36 AM

Lol, and everything in cali is overpriced :confused: I love so cal hehe

T707S13 03-06-2004 07:17 AM

Hey, the other night when i was typing that post i only typed the first half, and my dumbass friend ryan 15 typed the rest and posted it without telling me. That wasn't even my question. My question was what can i do to my ka24de to mod the engine, because my friend said theres not much you can do to it except for intake,cams,and porting. i need to know everything. thanks.
-Tom

drnovascotia 03-06-2004 11:20 AM

you can do anything to a KA you can to another engine
you can go KAT

This dude i've talked to in Florida fully built up his engine and ran NA 13 seconds.
Intake, header, exhaust, pulleys, cams, port & polish, ecu, pistons, valve springs, the full 9 yards can be done.

I'm saving up to rebuild and go KAT, just a matter of $$ and time.

Dr.

re037 03-06-2004 10:09 PM

florida is a bit diff than cali. im from cali too. also wondering about what mods to the ka24de are CARB exempt. maybe we should all make a list specifically for cali owners and have this thread a sticky ;)

side bar: isnt there a 15 year rule where you can import any car thats over 15 yrs old? like bring over r31 gts-r or fc3s. or am i mistaken? if so, cant we swap ca18det's from 1988-1989?

last thought: oh yeah, i think its lame how we cant swap in SR20DE NA just because nissan never sold them in rwd configuration :rolleyes:

T707S13 03-06-2004 10:56 PM

Ya i really wanna go KAT but that does cost serious $$.

That would be cool if the skyline engines could be used in our cars from like in the 80's or w/e it was, i hope someone answers you, i would like to find out too.

And oh yah, you guys really should make a sticky thread about what people who wanna go all N/A should do if they live in cali, cuz their is a whole lotta us out here, and a whole lot of crappy smog laws and jerky-cops who want to make life for us people who care about our cars suck. But ya. . . thanx 4 the info. And all more is welcomed.

-Tom

nissean 03-07-2004 02:22 AM

from what i know...anything that's older than 20years, your car is smog exempt...so if you have a car that's more than 20years old you can do what ever you want with it...and as far as JDM motor... if it was never sold in here...than it's illegal...

sr20det power 03-07-2004 09:18 PM

its 25 years

TheStartingLine 03-08-2004 12:24 AM

cali sucks...
jk here in idaho they dont care.

ryan15 03-08-2004 10:12 PM

yea you guys im a dumbass according to him w/e, I guess ill say it now. Tom KAT does not cost alot, it takes alot of time and patients, it would cost you alot more to go all motor. You can get cams, JWT ecu upgrade high flow cat, ported head, ported valves, bored, stroked, honed, some kinf of fuel computer. I just didnt tell you about this because all that stuff I listed would cost way more than any swap. I didnt really bring this up to you because you say all the time what is speed good for, I tell you wait till you get ur license then ull find out. LoL, you want to go more looks, its all good but the stuff I listed could cost up to $5000. if you are going all motor your gonna want to gut your interior as well and remove all weight necassary to get to ur goals, ur electronics cant stay in this situation. Also all-motor usually requires alot of tunning, that means more than mild turbo upgrades and tunning in that area.
we are best freinds by the way, o yea im not a dumb ass

Ryan