NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

Where to buy a FULL pulley kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by RMS13FU
Sooo.. Where did you find it?
hahaha, holy cow dude, like mrthins said, read the post again

i have never really liked ebay parts and try to stay away from them because they seem to have fitment issues 90% of the time, but sense ebay seems to be the only place that has what i want i guess i'll have to try it again
Old 04-17-2009, 11:14 PM
Contributing Member

if they are overdrive pulleys post you're impression of them once you get them on.
Old 04-18-2009, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by jramosthe1st!
if they are overdrive pulleys post you're impression of them once you get them on.
no prob, i will man
Old 04-18-2009, 09:43 PM
Contributing Member

Are you gonna run the Crank Pulley too?
Old 04-19-2009, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by 240-kid
Are you gonna run the Crank Pulley too?
yes
Old 04-19-2009, 08:34 PM

WARNING: Light weight aluminum pulleys do not dampen belt slap. This will degrade the longevity of an engine, and as well can lower steering pump pressure from less rotation per engine revolution.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by BigVinnie
WARNING: Light weight aluminum pulleys do not dampen belt slap. This will degrade the longevity of an engine, and as well can lower steering pump pressure from less rotation per engine revolution.
ok, i' afraid i've never heard of belt slap, so you will have to fill me in vinnie.

ps - hey vinnie, you still selling ported/polished intake manifolds?
Old 04-20-2009, 11:45 AM
Contributing Member

isnt it less rotation if its an under drive pully? mine is just a lightweight pully its the same size as stock and i had no loss of Alternator power or power steering power.

oh and ilikegofast if i were you id buy a new ka and having it at my house ready to swap when you spin a bearing in your current one

Last edited by battosaii930; 04-20-2009 at 11:49 AM.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by battosaii930
isnt it less rotation if its an under drive pully? mine is just a lightweight pully its the same size as stock and i had no loss of Alternator power or power steering power.

oh and ilikegofast if i were you id buy a new ka and having it at my house ready to swap when you spin a bearing in your current one
why would a light weight pulley cause me to spin a bearing?
Old 04-20-2009, 04:17 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ilikegofast
why would a light weight pulley cause me to spin a bearing?
i don't know just how much truth there is to that but i like to play it safe and avoid crank pulleys that do not use a damper. some will say that the ka's are internally balanced and don't really need a "balancer". i put balancer in quotation marks because some question as to whether the crank pulley is really a harmonic balancer or a vibration damper.

i like to believe it's both and therefor was placed there by nissan engineers to deal with the torsional vibration and belt resonance (belt slap). both of which are not a problem at low rpms but can be at higher rpms. i haven't botherd looking too much into the matter so i could be wrong.

this is a conclusion i came to years ago and don't see a reason to change my opinion. so unless i can see proof i'll just stay away from these crank pulleys and recommend that others do so also
Old 04-20-2009, 06:29 PM

ps - hey vinnie, you still selling ported/polished intake manifolds?
Yes, $150 plus shipping, plus core deposit, and I have one for you, I guarantee a minimum of 6 wheel HP for NA, and 12 wheel HP for forced induction, this is compared to the stock manifolds, that's also without any work done to the head.

Last edited by BigVinnie; 04-20-2009 at 06:34 PM.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:41 PM

hahaha, holy cow dude, like mrthins said, read the post again

My apologies, the way you posted it, it sounded like you found them somewhere besides ebay.

Sorry about that
Old 04-20-2009, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by jramosthe1st!
i don't know just how much truth there is to that but i like to play it safe and avoid crank pulleys that do not use a damper. some will say that the ka's are internally balanced and don't really need a "balancer". i put balancer in quotation marks because some question as to whether the crank pulley is really a harmonic balancer or a vibration damper.
All OEM crank shafts are balanced to a certain extent to where the engine will exceed a certain RPM before the harmonics of the crank shaft, and the valve train start to give.
My problem with aluminum pulleys is that there is no rubber damper to absorb the belt slap that will occur at slow and fast RPM speeds. The belts begin to slap (or vibrate as revolutions increase). This can wear down on the bottom end assembly, mostly crank bearings. In my case I rev the **** out of my engine, and to date I still haven't seen any dynos on the internet of a KA with under drive pulley that can beat my 162 whp, so do I personally think aluminum pulleys are bogus.... yea
If anything it's better to invest into an aluminum or lightened fly wheel than it is to invest into a aluminum crank pulley, if the objective is to drop over weight inertia.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:42 PM

If anything it's better to invest into an aluminum or lightened fly wheel than it is to invest into a aluminum crank pulley, if the objective is to drop over weight inertia.
this is the objective, yes, but this car is being built to autocross ST class specs, and no aftermarket fly wheels are allowed but aftermarket pulleys are. so, anyone have crank pulley they have had on for awhile and not had a problem?
Old 04-21-2009, 02:34 AM
Contributing Member

The Almn pulley doesnt Dampen the Harmonics that the engine makes

Read here...

Quick Reply: Where to buy a FULL pulley kit