New England MA, ME, VT, NH, RI, CT

MAINE, the greatest stae in the union

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2004, 11:59 AM

The head will give me another 30-40hp after tuning, which wont happen until march. I'm also adding on an aem cai to get rid of the ebay short ram i have now and probably a header. Not sure about the header yet though, I might be getting some money soon so I don't wanna bother buy a header if I'm just going to replace it during a turbo build up.

My goals are for 200hp. Might turbo, might now. Not sure. If I don't turbo I'll atleast go for n2o.
We'll see. I don't feel like rumaging around for a home-made turbo, I'd rather just get a kit, so I gotta come up with $2k.

Swapping a head shouldn't be too hard. It's a matter of about 10 bolts.
Old 02-07-2004, 01:26 PM
Contributing Member

Shouldn't be? I haven't done it so I haven't a clue.
how much would you part with the a6 head for? I mgiht pop hat omn my buddies engine that doesn't work, add a timing belt and she if she goes.

2K for a turbo isn't too bad, but kit's your paying more, but it's generally done right with a kit. I was thinking about investing 1K and getting a homemade kit for the a6 and running 140hp, that'd be nice.

Dr.
Old 02-07-2004, 05:05 PM

140hp with a turbo would be simple. you could put a tiny little turbo on there and hit 140hp. I'm planning on running between 8-11psi which will easily hit 200hp. I've heard of setups running 6psi on a z6 head hitting 200hp, so should be no problems with an a6. I'm not sure about selling my head yet, I need to think about it a little bit more.
Old 02-08-2004, 07:28 AM
Contributing Member

well right now it's 106 stock, 140hp isn't much at all, but with a 2100 pound car that should be pretty quick. I have to decide if I'm gonna turbo my 240sx or crx, I can't decide. or I might sell my running crx and try to get the not running one and make it work, who knows.
with such a built engine couldn't you run higher than 11psi? with that much hp you'll be more worried about traction, lol. How fast you think it'd run in the 1/4?
When are you planning on doing it all as well.

Dr.
Old 02-08-2004, 10:30 AM

My turbo setup will depend on when my cash flow comes in. Probably early summer time.

Traction does become a huge issue, so just get some better tires. You can get some good (soft) street tires or even go for slicks to help out.

Also, even though the head is built, the bottom of the block isn't and can only handle so much until a piston gets fried/melts etc.

I need my car to be a daily driver so I would just make it so I could pump up the boost. I'm not looking forward to having to run 93+ all the time though so I might not go turbo, might stay n/a for a while. No clue, all depends on money.

If you want a fast 1/4mile car, then go with the crx over turbo 240sx, but the 240sx has the handling that a crx, well, a crx with a fully rebuilt suspension and sway bars etc could get up there, they're used for autox alot.
Old 02-08-2004, 11:07 AM
Contributing Member

yeah, i've been looking into keeping the crx and trying autox. I just love the handling my 240sx has, and all the $$ i've put into it, this winter alone i've put in like 700 worth of stuff to put on by summer. this crx is definately growing on me though. I gotta decide what i'm gonna do with the crx with some rust and minor body damage with the blown engine. It's free if I pick it up, however I can't have 3 cars in the driveway, lol. A little bondo and another a6 engine and I could turn around and sell it for 2K if done right.

Well keep me updated on whats going on, good to know someone around here into crx's as well. You have to get a 240sx though man, my love for that thing is on a whole different level, lol.

Dr.
Old 02-08-2004, 12:50 PM

check out http://www.honda-tech.com/zeroforum?id=3

All 88-91 CRX/Civic all the time. That's where I've learned everything. They are very harsh on rice though.

How are you with body work? Paint? I suck at body work, my quarter panels are rusty... http://members.cardomain.com/tiggscrx
Old 02-08-2004, 01:59 PM
Contributing Member

the one of the 3 crx forums I go to. Not the best layout, but still lots of info. They can be dicks, but there are a lot worse forums out there.

I'm kinda new to body work, learned to bondo this winter, gonna learn some more this summer. My buddy is in CT autobody school for the next 15 months, so anytime I do any bodywork he helps
me out.

But that would be a good project, especially when it's free and I could sell my 90 si for probably 2400 this summer, and put 1400 towards the one with the blown engine, and 1K towards turbo or a laptop.

Good lookin car you have there, looks really clean for it's age. Like the white interior.

Dr.
Old 02-08-2004, 06:26 PM

Man, if I could find someone to buy my rex for $2400 I'd be all set. Not gunna happen though. They don't sell for much anymore.
Old 02-08-2004, 06:46 PM
Contributing Member

thats not true @ all.
the one I almost sold had 90K, clutch was DEAD and he sold it for 2200, in decent shape

one without rust here in NH and 150K in NH 3 weeks ago sold for 2600.

Mine has redone hg, radiator, timing belt, etc, and only 94K, and with how rare they are I should be able to get 2k range, body will be in good shape

Dr.
Old 02-08-2004, 08:35 PM

I don't think a CRX is too too rare, but one with only 94k on it is! Hahaha

94k and already needed a new hg? That stinks. my 195k motor never had the hg replaced, the valves went we think.
Old 02-09-2004, 08:08 AM
Contributing Member

yeah, I couldn't belive the HG neede replacement, but to know it had been done only months before, as well as machined head, timing belt and everything, I couldn't complain. She puts out really well, lol.

Keep me updated as to whats goin on with the rex, where in Maine do you live (keeping in mind I don't know anywhere in Maine)

Dr.
Old 02-09-2004, 08:48 AM

I live half way between Augusta, and Lewiston. Like, 15 minutes from both.

I just got the head off my replacement engine, the 70k one getting ready to put on the built head. Just waiting for a friend to show up with some gasket remover. Freakin' thing was a pita to get off. Had to use a 4 foot pipe on the ratchet to get the head bolts loose. That was the fun part though. Hard part was getting the head loose. Nothing about a hundred whacks with a mallet didn't take care of.
Hopefully I can get the head on tonight, and who knows when I can get into a garage to replace the engine. I wish I could today to get started but I don't have a garage of my own.
Old 02-10-2004, 11:06 AM
Contributing Member

yeah, not having a garage sucks, I can agree with that. A garage will cost some $$ though, ugh. Sounds like the head was on there tight, lol.

Dr.
Old 02-10-2004, 02:09 PM

Yeah the head was on like a motha. But what's worse..the old damn paper headgasket. AUGH. Had to stop yesterday and wait til I could get a brush attachment for my dremel. Now I got one and it works like a charm! Just gotta be carefull and not take off any of the block!
Looks like this saturday is doomesday for my engine!

Quick Reply: MAINE, the greatest stae in the union