S-Chassis.com

S-Chassis.com (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/)
-   Off-Topic (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/off-topic-22/)
-   -   To all Rc car fans (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/off-topic-22/all-rc-car-fans-12472/)

soulfly99 05-13-2004 09:12 PM

To all Rc car fans

If anyone is into remote control cars(i'm not). A guy I work with owns a hobby shop. He knows I'm into 240s and showed me a new car. It's a s15 I think that is designed to drift. Remote control drifting sounds pretty cool. I think it's got a pretty hefty price tag. Around $500. Too much for me, but just wanted to let u guys know.

twofortyessex 05-13-2004 09:27 PM

an RC drift car? huh. most RC cars are all wheel drive now, the traction is unbeatable with that driveline. we can get some crazy 4 wheel drifts on the tennis courts here at school, or out on the grass or softball fields, and on the tile in the bathrooms. see if you can find out whats different about it that makes it a 'drift' car. 500 bucks is a little steep if its an electric car, unless its all carbon and Ti or something. if its a nitro though, thats not bad at all.

LTSCUDRFT 05-13-2004 10:41 PM

http://www.yokomousa.com/index3.htm

scroll down on the page^^ to get to the grift cars
:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

-HyJynX- 05-13-2004 11:44 PM

My friend has a small electric r/c that he got for 100 and it drifts pretty damn well if ya ask me. BTW...its 4wd.

Moved to OT, post in the right area please!

l2aine 05-14-2004 05:02 AM

NO way - $500 is about dead-on for a basic setup. With these 1/10 scale RC cars, you buy everything seperately - the car, the radio (controller), battery(at least 1), charger for the battery, sometimes you have to buy the motor too (elecrtic or nitro depending on chassis), and misc little things like paint for the body, super glue for the tires, etc. I used to work for HPI (if anyone knows that company) as well as an R/C car magazine for a few years during my 1/10 scale racing days, and we used to get a lot of people writing or emailing us about why they are so expensive.

Most of those people only know "R/C" as those all-in-one TOYS you buy at Toys-R-Us or Radio Shack. The Yokomo Drift car is a high tech shaft driven 4WD with independent fully adjustable (caster, camber, toe) suspension, oil filled tuneable (oil, piston, spring) shocks, multiple suspension mounting points, upgradeable parts (like carbon fiber or aluminum), and has won numerous world championships over the years. You can't say that about them Radio Shack toys.

As for the "drift" part, Yokomo worked around the traction of a 4wd chassis by making special rubber tires that have grooves in them which hold replaceable plastic rings. The plastic rings are actually what's touching the ground... and technically it's really a 4 wheel drift (ala Rally) then an actual D1 syle drift.

They had their stickers all over N.O.B.'s car at the last D1, but for some reason it's not on their website anymore. Anyhow, if you want more info on the car you can give them a call (they're nice people) at 949.252.8663. There's 2 cool guys there named Robert Ito and Paul Dabao - I used to race with them back in the days and they were at the Yokomo booth @ D1. (or PM me because I have 5 years of R/C experience stuck in my head)

R/C is a fun hobby to supplement real car racing... a lot of real car guys (that sounds funny) I know also race R/C on weekends. It's a highly competitive hobby and many of the fundamentals of mechanics that apply to full sized cars also apply to the 1/10 scale counterparts :thumb:

twofortyessex 05-14-2004 07:05 AM

we're running shaft driven all wheel drive cars too Raine, fully adjustable suspension - camber, toe, caster - and all of that. parted them all separate and built the cars from the frame up, and for around 300 to 350. sure, they may not be carbon frames or anything crazy like that, but they certainly get the job done

ixcocoyxi 05-14-2004 03:16 PM

i put a post here somewhere.. it has a vid of the D1 drift RC's on em.. im shure its still around here somewhere.. :D

shift_drift 05-15-2004 07:31 PM

hey, im not the only one that is interested in this stuff.

right now im runnin a cpmpletely carbon fiber schumacher mission with a p94 10turn double. the setup on it right now, gets the car to drift around a corner at 40mph, it is hot, if i could host vid's i would make one and put it up..

sadly, i have to sell it, gotta save for the real thing.

we should make a thread devoted to r/c drifting, its definately something thats fun to do!

nate

l2aine 05-16-2004 07:06 AM

The R/C drifting thing isn't really "new" ... stock Tamiya cars out of the box had these non-grippy tires that would slip and slide everywhere if you ran anything hotter than a standard Mabuchi motor... I guess since drifting got popular, the term got attached to it.

S14 RACER209 05-30-2004 10:32 PM

I have a electeic rWD R/C car :) and it drifts just fine:thumb:

ixcocoyxi 06-03-2004 12:26 PM

http://www.rcdrift.com

they'll show you what to do and how to do it :thumb:

just buy a TC3.. same chassi as the D1's :D