S-Chassis.com

S-Chassis.com (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/)
-   Off-Topic (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/off-topic-22/)
-   -   Doom3. Wow. (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/off-topic-22/doom3-wow-14742/)

l2aine 08-04-2004 09:19 PM

Doom3. Wow.

Had Doom 3 for a couple days now, and all I can say is WOW.

BTW my comp specs:

Pentium 4c 3.02ghz
512 OCS Dual Channel DDR 3700
MSI GeForce FX5600 256mb
MSI Neo 2 865PE mobo
Western Digital 80gig HD

Not the greatest, but I can run Doom 3 at 1024 x 768 no sweat, and man, the game owns all (until HL2)

ok that's it 'til someone says anything.

-HyJynX- 08-04-2004 11:45 PM

Wish I had the comp to play it well. I'm sure I can play it in 800X600 but that's not good enough.

Lot dif. then past Doom games?

l2aine 08-05-2004 05:19 AM

Originally posted by -HyJynX-
Wish I had the comp to play it well. I'm sure I can play it in 800X600 but that's not good enough.

Lot dif. then past Doom games?

Storywise it's a retelling of the first game; kind of like a remake of Doom 1, but with a deeper storyline and puzzles etc. The plot revolves around this big company on Mars called the UAC... think Umbrella Corp. mixed with "Total Recall" and that's the feel of the game during the opening sequences.

Graphics-wise, it's like comparing the performance of an R34 (Doom 3) to... a Honda Civic HF (Doom, Doom 2) ROFL

SnickersGirl 08-05-2004 07:09 AM

I want this gamee really badly...But my computer cant handle it..haha..its 3 1/2 yrs old...the only thing that's really upgraded is the video card..which was 2 years ago..haha..I wanna try playing it on 7.1 surround sound..I'll probably pee in my pants..

LightDriver 08-05-2004 08:19 AM

Seriously, I've been all about this game ever since I heard of it!!! Unfortunately, I dont have the pc specs to even hope to run it without seeing a fabulous Doom 3 slideshow, LOL. I played the living hell out of the other ones! Deathmatch is the greatest!

Post up some scary screenshots, l2aine! :D

-HyJynX- 08-05-2004 09:43 AM

I think I will have to go to a comp. cafe and play it haha

l2aine 08-05-2004 10:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's screenies:

01: the main menu (note the name ahaha!)

l2aine 08-05-2004 10:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
a good shot of how dark the game is (which really gets to you later when all hell breaks loose)... think Silent Hill, and you know what I mean. There's the nice army dude giving me access to guns since my mission is to locate a missing doctor.

Now WHY WOULD I NEED GUNS?!?! LOL

l2aine 08-05-2004 10:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
shot of one of the various people working at the UAC... note the light in the background moves with the texture of the wall; the computer console to the left is animated too... BTW bottom left is armor and health meter

note there's no flashlight or gun on screen - whenever you approach an interactive switch, computer, door, or person, your hands and whatever you're holding automatically lower down and you get a cursor to activate code panels, switches, etc.

(had to drop this image to 60% jpg to attach)

l2aine 08-05-2004 10:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
another example of darkness... note the broken hose that my flashlight is pointing at - that smoke/fumes thing makes the ground beneath it distorted in real time, like in real life, which gives that "mirage" effect... really nice job here... you can't get the full effect by looking at a screenshot but if you understand what I mean, then you'll know how impressive it looks

l2aine 08-05-2004 10:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
rare outside shot of Mars... the wind and smoke are all realtime and random (not some patterned effect), you can also walk around the rocks and the railing to the left, but you get 100level oxygen (see the meter to the bottom left) so you really don't stay outside long lol

l2aine 08-05-2004 10:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
okay that's me on the right (LOL) talking to some asian dude about SR20's and LSDs

l2aine 08-05-2004 10:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
this is about where ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE. Note that fire is transparent and distorts your vision of whatever is behind it, same with the flaming skull guy, and this is where you first realize that they make a good use of the directional sound

l2aine 08-05-2004 10:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
same dctor guy, now turned into a zombie, slapping me silly. The blood splatter effect happens whevever you get hit (bullets, fireballs, the back of this guys hand) along with a jolt in controls, and BTW the blood splatter is 100000 times better than in "House of the Dead" when you get 3 cheesy slash marks lol

l2aine 08-05-2004 10:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
look this guy needs to sleep more. One aspect of this game is that you can't hold a gun and the flashlight at the same time, which makes for some pretty scary confrontations, since mind you a lot of the underground you CAN'T SEE unless you bust the flashlight out