Off-Topic Anything Non-Related to the above topics.

S-Chassis.com Official Firearms Discussion Thread.

Old 12-26-2009, 07:58 PM

S-Chassis.com Official Firearms Discussion Thread.

Questions, comments, concerns, open discussion. Have fun!

I'm able to answer a good deal of questions, as the Marine Corps gave me a good amount of experience with a lot of different calibers, makes, models and variants. I've also been through extensive combat training both armed and unarmed and have been trained in personal protection.

JRamos is also a connoisseur of sorts with firearms and can answer many questions as well.

Let's get some discussion going.

So far, I've owned a Glock 17 9mm (of course). Sold it, fired roughly 1000-1200 rounds through it. Didn't modify it really, just added a laser.

I just recently purchased a Hi-Point .45ACP JHP. It's a fabulous firearm, lots of great reviews. The biggest complaint is the bulk, but it's been reviewed as super accurate, very smooth, not a lot of recoil for the firepower, and very reliable. It's also very affordable. For the price of many firearms, which may look better, you can get the same exact function, plus be able to buy another one, ammo, and extra magazines. LOL!

Carry on.... and keep it civil, they're just firearms.
Old 12-26-2009, 09:01 PM
Contributing Member

the only real complaint i have about hi point guns is that they are too top heavy (for lack of a better term at the moment) any one who's held one will know what i'm talking about. what i do like it how sturdy, reliable and accurate they are. plus they are not expensive at all.

i considered buying the the 995 you mentioned in the Christmas thread but i couldn't find one. i just don't want to have too many different caliber firearms. that's why i'm looking for a .357 lever action rifle so i can fire the same rounds in it and a revolver which will cut down on the cost of ammo.

it's funny that you should ask for the comments to be kept civil, becuase even when we're in disagreement, the gun owners i've dwelt with have been nothing but civil. i think all the negativity comes from the anti gun crowd, although there are some elitists on forums who will criticize every opinion contrary to theirs.

regardless if you chose to carry a 9mm, .357,.44, .45 or anything in between or grater, we're all on the same team.
Old 12-26-2009, 09:18 PM
Contributing Member

Guns are bad, mkay.
Old 12-26-2009, 09:25 PM
Contributing Member

yes they are.
Name:  10mm.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  51.7 KB
Old 12-26-2009, 09:32 PM

Magnum Research 5 Round 444 Marlin w/10" Barrel/Stainless Fi

Ruger Super Redhawk .480 Ruger 9" Target Grey (KSRH-9480)

Taurus 2500109 M500 10" AS Raging Bull PT Matte Stainless

Last edited by USMCDrifter; 12-26-2009 at 09:35 PM.
Old 12-26-2009, 10:20 PM
Contributing Member

i have a question about scopes for you dave. today i ordered a barska 3-12x scope for my ar. i have a barska 4x on my .22 caliber savage arms model 64. the scope is called plinker 22 becuase that's what it's intended for. with the scope i don't have any problems hitting 12ga shells at about 50 yards. so if i wanted to do the same thing with my ar at 200-300 yards or so i'd need a better scope.

my question is this, is there a basic rule of thumb when choosing the right scope for a specific distance?
Old 12-26-2009, 10:25 PM

I'm not gonna lie, I'm not that keen on scopes as I've never really used one. The USMC makes us qualify open sights from 150, 200, 300 and 500 yards. Yeah, M16A2, open sights, 500 yards . . .makes you feel like a badass for a bit.

There probably is a rule of thumb, I'll look around and see what I can dig up.
Old 12-26-2009, 10:29 PM

Check this out . . .

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...objectID=29903

Picking the Right Scope written by Don Sangster

Not sure which scope to put on top of your old shooting iron? Here's what you need to know before you buy. . .

. . .The size and power of the scope you ultimately choose will depend on your firearm and the hunting you do (and the shooting situations you expect to encounter), but the rule of thumb is to buy the best scope you can afford. You won't regret it, and you'll think its money well spent when that big buck appears just before dark and you can see him clear as day through your scope.
Old 12-26-2009, 10:35 PM

In turn, JRamos, I have a question for you, and it's gonna require some opinion along with fact.

I've never owned a .380 before, and have been looking at getting a small-form weapon once my concealed permit gets approved. Should I get a .380 or should I just get a 9mm. They seem to be the same price (ish), I know the .380 is just a shorter slower 9mm and I know that 9mm ammo is more plentiful and less expensive than .380. I just wonder what you would prefer and why. Something like a Bersa Thunder .380 or a Glock 26 9mm. You know what I'm saying? Something small, concealable that can be quickly drawn in case **** hits the fan when I'm bike riding at night or jogging early in the morning.
Old 12-26-2009, 11:31 PM
Contributing Member

you've already said everything i was going to say, yes both in essence are 9mm rounds but the luger rounds slightly more powerful than that kurz. the comparison isn't all the same, but i equate them to the .22lr vs the .22 short. i deiced to go with the 9mm luger just because they are easier to find. .380 rounds are a bit scarce online and locally.

generally speaking .380 guns tend to be a bit smaller than 9mm so depending on the size of your hand that may or may not be a problem. other than that, for a cc either or should be fine imo.

btw that link helped but i'm still not sure about the scope i got. my problem is that i don't have a rear sight so it's a bit more challenging to hit targets at greater distances. any decent scope should allow me to line up properly hopefully it will be suitable for the distances i have in mind.
Old 12-26-2009, 11:50 PM

Yeah, looking at the specs you put down, it should be fine on up to 100yds. You're probably a better shot than you think, so if you get it sighted in (preferably at a gun shop) then you should be good to go by keeping scope picture centered on the cross hairs

And yeah, I'm usually all about caliber, because the only thing more scary than this:

Name:  S7300002.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  87.5 KB

Is this:

Name:  S7300004.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  68.9 KB

Gyah, I love that light . . .
Old 12-26-2009, 11:54 PM

Here's a pic with the flash so you can see the light . . .mostly

It's just a standard Super-Brite LED flash light, carried weak-hand using the wrist for strong-hand support aim.

Name:  S7300005-2.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  81.8 KB

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So Jesus . . .how do you tend to stand when you fire? Like if you're in a situation where you can draw and not immediately fire such as the range or home protection. As you can see, I stand weaver-isosceles. It's funny, because I was one of the only officers to stand like that. Most MP's, CRF and Camp Guard stand isosceles.
Old 12-26-2009, 11:59 PM

http://www.opticsplanet.net/how-to-c...iflescope.html

I'm Google Searching "Choosing The Right Scope"

These seem pretty helpful, if you have any doubts, I would say contact a local hunting or competition shooting club and talking to an instructor. Contact your local NRA Chapter and talk to their rifle experts or, if all else fails, get in good with your local Police Department/Sheriff's Office and talk to their S.W.A.T team. All of these people will be MORE than happy to share information with you, I'm sure.
Old 12-27-2009, 12:59 AM
Contributing Member

Name:  RichardDeanAnderson.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  47.6 KB
Old 12-27-2009, 01:00 AM

LOL! Whatever . . .I'm the guy with the .45 . . .I win . . .

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: S-Chassis.com Official Firearms Discussion Thread.