S-Chassis.com

S-Chassis.com (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/)
-   Off-Topic (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/off-topic-22/)
-   -   Importing a stripped chassis (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/off-topic-22/importing-stripped-chassis-47204/)

rpk2012 03-08-2011 09:40 AM

Importing a stripped chassis

I am sorry if this is the wrong section, but I am looking for specifics. I am not trying to import a skyline, but I am looking to import a chassis only(Toyota). For the purposes of this thread, it will be a car built for track racing.

I only wish to touch on the actual process for importing it as an assembly of carriage, what can stay on, and what has to be disassembled. I know motor/tranny must come out, and they will be junked, unless someone wants to pay for it (not Nissan motor) and shipping. The car in question is a Toyota Soarer, and most of the glass, lights, and other parts are DOT compliant if that becomes an issue.

I will be working with a broker for all the customs aspects, but none will tell me what I need to know, all have left me to fend for the rules which baffles me as I wish to hire them to do just that, take care of the legal aspects and representation.

Ok, enough rambling. The following are my questions, and if you have experience in importing a chassis previously, feel free to add what you think I should know, or be prepared for. Feel free to PM me if not willing to be open about.

1:What needs to be off the car?

2:How should it be packed, any particular way to speed up process?

3:Paperwork needed? As I can gather right now, bill of sale, de-registration, and paperwork stating chassis is for parts only. (also everything needing translating as well)

Anything else I need to know? Specific ports with knowledgeable people that wont hold up the release? I have also considered purchasing from Canada, selling what I don't need, and importing myself on a trailer. In this case, how different is the difficulty of crossing the border, and paying the fees?

Thanks for any insight!

I figure there is someone lurking that has insight on one forum or another that is willing to pass on info to a fellow car enthusiast.

NiSmO Knight 03-09-2011 10:26 AM

If you are looking to have a race chassis, you're better off buying an SC here in the US for a lot cheaper. What you are going to find out, is that the car can only stay in the US for a certain period of time and must be shipped back out of the country. I highly recommend reading all federal importation laws before really thinking about this. You could end up losing a lot of money.

rpk2012 03-09-2011 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by NiSmO Knight (Post 397673)
If you are looking to have a race chassis, you're better off buying an SC here in the US for a lot cheaper. What you are going to find out, is that the car can only stay in the US for a certain period of time and must be shipped back out of the country. I highly recommend reading all federal importation laws before really thinking about this. You could end up losing a lot of money.

I understand, and have have read all the laws and info I can find. its all vague. I have found A legal loophole that I am having a customs broker look into and see how easy it will be to apply. Its a chassis only, parts only rules where nhtsa and epa don't matter so I could use it for racing perm with no issues. That's if its a decent loop. The reason I want a jdm chassis is to have a unique race car, and want to take things a new route.