Off-Topic Anything Non-Related to the above topics.

Midwest Drifting!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 07:25 PM

Midwest Drifting!

Or lack there of...

I've gotten permission to contact the land owner of food4less in our mini-city of kansas about using their parking lot. My issue is if he agrees to allow us to use it, then it has to go thru food4less corporate. Most likely to get denied.

My plan is to go through city council somehow and try and pursuede them to let us hold a drift event, even a practice, at/near the town. After all who wouldnt want to be the town to hold the first drift event in the entire state!?

Anyone have any experience with dealing with city councils or attempting to get an event like this off the ground?
Old 01-06-2008, 08:12 PM

I have no experience in this, but my guess would be your best bet would be to get in touch with a local auto club sanction (SCCA, NASA) and talk to them about it. I doubt you would be able to get an event without someone like that due to stuff like insurance, tech inspections, and other things that they provide at every event by qualified individuals. Like I said, I have no firsthand experience, so thats pretty much my guess...
Old 01-06-2008, 08:40 PM

bryan were all just brainstorming at the moment so even educated guesses are very welcome!
Old 01-23-2008, 08:35 AM

Did you every figure anything else out about this?
Old 01-23-2008, 10:12 AM

I actually contacted the road course manager of a huge track here in kansas. Theyre interested in nopi-forumla D-D1 coming to kansas but they (d1, etc) said that they dont think theres any interest in drifting in Kansas. So Im working with Heartland Park Raceway to get a HUGE event to happpen this summer. The bigger the better in their eyes.

So what went from a little event for us to practice in is slowly becoming a sponsored event with over 200 spectators and 25 drivers.

Its going to be bad ***! Im actually looking for a couple people that *know* how to drift inorder to be instructors.

Yay time to build the 240

p.s. hope this made sense, im pretty tired so...yeah.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:14 PM

Man Good luck. Also you can say 1St event here by ME=Fries
Old 01-23-2008, 05:25 PM

Start out small once you have alot of events and people from kansas making a name for themselves it'll also bring up the state. Which will in turn help bring the big names in.

Also if you want contact Greatorex (jason) or Josh of driftcoalition.com

on how they got their events going and such. It was a bit easier because we have our events at a track and not a public parking lot but somethings might be the same. Tell them hayabusa03rx sent you. I'm a member over there too.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:37 AM

acutally it is a track. Whats really going down is this.

Manager of Heartland Park Topeka(place where nationals for SCCA was held last year) Ed wants to have nopi come to kansas.

Nopi says no, theres no interest in drifting etc in kansas.

Ed wants a huge event inorder to show nopi that there is infact interest in drifting.

I am gathering everyone who would be interested in a drift event. Right now we're at 25 drivers and 200 spectators. Thats just the people Ive spoken to without any type of advertisement.

I prefer small then grow large, but we're starting big. Small practice events every month and huge events every 2.

We'll see how it goes. Thanks for the info though -hayabusa