Off-Topic Anything Non-Related to the above topics.

Night7 Lawsuit

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 05:01 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by rkcarguy
Unfortunately not. And if I did who knows maybe that agency wouldn't be straight either-contact the "expert" and decide to bend us over again? If I did get anything out of them I wouldn't expect it to be money, government tends to be a one way door for money. The biggest thing is that our government-especially state, enjoys writing and enforcing loosely written laws. Take the modified exhaust law for example:

May not modify this that or the other thing blah blah blah over stock noise level...OR may not exceed 95bd.

Now that's an "OR" not "AND". Tell me how many people have been issued tickets merely because the cop spotted the shiny stainless muffler? 95db is DAMN LOUD. Like straight pipe no muffler loud. I think most honda's and nissans wouldn't exceed 95db with no muffler at all.
True, but in most cases, honda ppl buy knock off brand mufflers that sound like **** and they dont have to meet a standard for quality nor do they meet emissions standards.

But to really beat the system with the muffler law, jus make sure ur system (from header to muffler) has all the correct fittings in the right positions for all O2 sensors and as long as the exhaust line has similar bends like factory, its perfectly legal. AND use a silencer; its ur best friend when cops look at u.

Recite that paragraph above to the cop and request for a jack, then lift up the car and show them everything is in correct position and if they still disagree, take it to court and then email Greddy, request a copy of the letter they had submitted to I think it was super street stating the exact law regarding exhaust modifications. Make multiple copies of that letter and present it to the judge, about 10 min later, u go home free. In my case, I ended up paying 10 bux to the court for "winning" my case, but I was still charged with a fixed "fix it" ticket (i.e. 10 bux for waisting court time.)
Old 05-31-2005, 05:37 PM
Contributing Member

I'm familair with the exhaust regs, just using this as an example as to how they can mess with you. It's only one of many trust me.

Nismoknight as for turbo's there's alot of info out there if you search google. The biggest thing is the application and power goals that decide how large a turbo you should use(read the flow charts-look for your desired HP and boost level to be in the sweet spot-max efficency). The rest is how much money you want to spend as larger ball bearing turbos will give you the best of everything. I love the kids that come in my shop with some T70 they bought off of ebay for their CRX, but then the stock turbo that comes on the RB20-RB25 is too small for anything except maybe a tight autocross course.
Old 10-13-2005, 02:17 PM

My "ex" got a ticket at one point for his exhaust being too loud (i.e. Driving while Mexican) and he was gonna be dumb and pay it, but here in CA they have places that test how loud it really is. He got a print out of the noise level and took it to court, and (because I was there) he didn't have to pay a damn thing, not even court costs. I sorta played his attorney and I asked the judge that if he could prove that his ticket was unlawfully issued that all court costs would be waived, and the ticket being taken off his record. So, I testified when I was there, that the officer pulled us over, and made us get out of the car. He searched the car without asking, had him open the hood, and tried to pop him for the intake and the headers. I pulled out the receipts for both mods (which I ALWAYS told him to keep in the car) and proved that they both had CARB numbers. So then he said, "well, the exhaust is too loud" and popped him with a ticket for that. I showed him the printout for the decibel levels that we got at a legitimate source, proved the case, and walked out without having to pay ish. Not only that, but I filed a complaint against the cop, and he got suspended for a month.

You gotta defend yourself against these cops, man. This all happened in Compton, CA, and cops are ruthless there. I know how the system works when it comes to their bull-ish car laws and regs. I learned a whole lot, so I know a lot of the loopholes.
Old 10-13-2005, 04:56 PM
Contributing Member

BAR does the testing, however it must be under 81 or 82 db. And as for the Carb.E.O., they too must pass inspection by state official(s). To do all this costs about 100 - 150 (pending dpeartment and area)

As for legalities, they have the 2005 (soon to be 2006) CA vehicle code book. And legislation has made mroe changes per CHP demands. But doesnt mean you cant fight for your rights!

But unltimately, we live in CA (some of us at least) and the only way ur parts will be legal is if you leave the state.

CA is one of the biggest motorsport states in the US, but laws forbid us to have it on the streets? WTF man?!?!?!
Old 06-02-2006, 11:55 PM

Haha that really sucks for you guys (living in CA) I have a 92 240 Fastback with an intake, headers and no muffler and I have never been pulled over (for the noise at least). I live in Northern Va though and we dont have emission laws yet here either because we still have "clean air" so I guess I am one of the lucky few out here. But I lost my license until October '06 because I got pulled over at 110 in a 65... kinda sucks a lot... But I never ever got warned or ticketed for noise levels coming from my car and mine is probably the loudest import in the area or close to it.
Old 06-03-2006, 01:51 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Clarke240
Haha that really sucks for you guys (living in CA) I have a 92 240 Fastback with an intake, headers and no muffler and I have never been pulled over (for the noise at least). I live in Northern Va though and we dont have emission laws yet here either because we still have "clean air" so I guess I am one of the lucky few out here. But I lost my license until October '06 because I got pulled over at 110 in a 65... kinda sucks a lot... But I never ever got warned or ticketed for noise levels coming from my car and mine is probably the loudest import in the area or close to it.
110... What were u thinking? I take it u wanted a thrill? Ur lucky u didnt get slapped with attempted manslaughter. Another law we have in CA, but it makes perfect sense that we do have something like that being enforced. Im not tryin to say wut u did was / is retarded, but overall, as a licensed driver we should at least keep the high speeds on the track and off the streets. Lets think this over...

And be honest, when I first started out driving, I was way over confident with my driving skills as most of u younger drivers do also, but not realize it. I thank God to this day I did not die from all the stupid and rediculous things Ive done. But over the years and of course tickets, I've learned that the speeding and drifting should stay on a sanctioned race track and off the streets. Conditions on the streets vs conditions on the track are like day and night. One you know how the tarmac feels (the track) and it stays that way as long as the venue remains open. Whereas on the streets, one day the road might be brand new and even, the next day it could have unnoticable dips on the road from a truck that could be deep enough that causes u to lose control of the car and may lead to an accident or worse.

I advocate keeping high speed and drifting on the track and normal regulated safe respectable driving for the streets. Lets try to keep it that way and maybe we can get some respect from the law.