S-Chassis.com

S-Chassis.com (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/)
-   Off-Topic (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/off-topic-22/)
-   -   Skyline question (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/off-topic-22/skyline-question-37170/)

nvrstock 02-02-2007 06:14 AM

Skyline question

in order to register a skyline they still need to be legalized through a company like what motorex does or did correct. The reason i am asking is that there is a shop around my area selling some skylines and they dont know what motorex is and when i asked them if they had them legalized they said "People buy them and drive them around all the time." just wondering what you guys thought about this.

cheryred240 02-02-2007 06:46 AM

alot of it depends on what state you live in , im in arkansas, i have a friend that lives in mississippi and he hasnt converted anything on it to be legal but the restrictions are low there so he has it tagged and drives it every day it is his third one .

nvrstock 02-02-2007 07:31 AM

how did he go about registering and insuring it? I am in VA.

KerosineK 02-02-2007 01:34 PM

Check your local laws before buying it. Also, if a company that imports vehicles doesnt know about motorex, I'd find somewhere else to buy cars from.

Your best bet is to call your DMV and ask them.

nvrstock 02-02-2007 08:31 PM

What questions should i ask DMV specificly(sp?)? I wanna try everything i can to get it and not worry about it being impounded or crushed. The shop has 5 skylines so they can't be doing too much illegal stuff, and the car is my dream car a R32 GTS-T. my dad is willing to help me pay for it so if there is a way that i can get it and make it legal i would really like to do it.

http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/ci...g_imported.asp My state laws.

Zenki_SliderS14 02-03-2007 10:11 AM

Good luck man. Theres a shop here also in Spartanburg, SC that has imported 3-4 skylines. all which they have sold out to the public for street use. I dont know how they did it, because i didnt ask. but, they have had R32 GTST, R33 GTR VspecII, and 2 R34's, not sure which trim they were, import and sold.

nvrstock 02-04-2007 02:53 PM

this is when the saying "Everybody else has been doing it" comes into effect lol. well i dunno i think i found a R32 that is supposedly US registered for sale so ill check it out and see what happens. When i tell people that my dream car is a skyline they say "I see them for sale all the time they are easy to get and drive around. If they only knew. I feel that this is gonna be such a pain in the ass.

neville610135 02-21-2007 12:21 PM

Im in CA, and forgot where i read it, but there are sites online that show which cars are possible to legalize, and those that aren't, from nissans to toyotas, to even fiats and other non-usdm copies. the only skyline that i remember seeing that is even possible to legalize is the late model R33, including all trims i think. i remember this because i have been wanting a R33 GTR or GTS-T and they are the only skyline you can legalize. Any others you would have to do a complete engine swap. I guess it has something to do with emissions or something. Once again, this is a CA only site, but im sure you can find them for any state.

Unholy FD3S 03-20-2007 02:46 PM

you can get the car registered and get a title and all that but it still wont be totally legal.

i have a chance to get a R32 GTR like this but im not sure ill do it.

RuizXIII 03-20-2007 03:03 PM

^ You better do it. R32 is awesome.

There was some kid selling his R33 on eBay here in NJ and he said that it was registered and legal. He was also selling the car for $37,000 (wtf??!!).
And Heavythrottle was selling their R32 last year and it was "NY Legal" but it was also selling for like $36,000.
Furthermore, there is a importing shop in Paterson,NJ thats sells alot of JDM cars like RHD S14, R32, SW20,etc. and their prices are alot more reasonable but, non-registered.
So im not sure if getting the car legalized is a HUGE expensive process

Unholy FD3S 03-20-2007 03:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
thats the car

id have to sell my FD

Attachment 24111

RuizXIII 03-20-2007 03:12 PM

Great Scotts!!! its a tought call I mean ur FD is tight but I really love the 32s alot. Hmmmm. Are u gettin a sick ass deal on that Skyline?

Unholy FD3S 03-20-2007 03:14 PM

yea its a great deal for the 94.

I still have plans for my FD this spring

street port, new turboes, new paint, 99 spec bumper and wing.

and some other things but its a ****ing GTR lol.

RuizXIII 03-20-2007 03:27 PM

awww man tuff ass decision.
Ur FD will be so awesome when you make those upgrades
But skyline GTR !!!! I dunno, are u gonna Daily Drive it? Might be somewhat of a pain in the ass but still GTR!!!

spt 03-20-2007 08:17 PM

You should check out our other site:

www.gtrforums.com

Specifically this sticky made there: http://forums.gtrforums.com/showthread.php?t=468

It has a ton of info about legalization and processes for skyline and gtr importation.