S-Chassis.com

S-Chassis.com (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/)
-   S-Chassis Newbie / FAQs Forum (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/s-chassis-newbie-faqs-forum-43/)
-   -   I'm new. Hard decision (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/s-chassis-newbie-faqs-forum-43/im-new-hard-decision-44947/)

shaban 10-29-2008 10:45 AM

if they have coilovers, you can adjust the stiffness...

and i wouldnt say yes to that turbo.

USMCDrifter 10-29-2008 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by shaban (Post 375219)
if they have coilovers, you can adjust the stiffness...

and i wouldnt say yes to that turbo.

THANK YOU!

LOL!

eBay turbos are selling cheap for a reason, it's not a brand name thing like jeans, these bad boys simply won't hold up to the abuse of drifting like you think they will. Ask Biggamehit, he'll tell you, he started off with a cheaper turbo and went up to a Holset. It probably will hold for a few months of constant abuse but you'll be lucky to get 10,000 miles out of it.

Do yourself a favor and buy a name brand turbo kit for your car or build your kit with at least a name brand turbo. It's better to spend a little more now than a whole LOT later. Trust me, I've been in this stuff for a while now, I've seen the ups and downs. When people try to save money by going the "cheap" route they wind up spending more money down the line.

I have a friend with an S13 coupe that he bought for 600 bucks because it had a blow motor. He wound up dumping so much money into it just to get it back to stock that he could have bought a running/driving S13 in really good condition or a worn S14.

-Dave

lifted&lowered 10-29-2008 11:29 AM

Alright. Where would be the best place to get a nice turbo? I just don't want to spend more then $1500 if its possible.

shaban 10-29-2008 11:35 AM

http://www.240sxmotoring.com/oemsis15srt2.html

you don't need a giant turbo for a small build.

USMCDrifter 10-29-2008 11:39 AM

Honestly, if all you're going to be doing is tuning and driving . . . I'd just pick up a used turbo from a used engine supplier or something. eBay has private sellers that are always parting out their engines and stuff.

Remember, you have to be flanged for the turbo you want to use and once you're flanged any turbo in that family will bolt up. So if you're going to be setup for a T28, any T28 or T25 turbo will go right on. I would suggest going with a T3 or T3/T4 hybrid. Just thinking to myself about the metrics of CFM and overall boost effect you would want.

If you're serious about drifting, which to be honest you don't sound too serious about it, I would say skip the power BS all together, get a running/driving 240, buy a helmet and go to an event and stop worrying about what "build" you're going to do.

-Dave

crazydrifter 10-29-2008 12:00 PM

well i have only seen good things from ebay turbos, i know a couple people with them and they run fine and have been running fine for awhile. they are all in hondas, maybe that has something to do with it...

i have no experience with them, just letting the OP know what i have heard/seen about them.

USMCDrifter 10-29-2008 12:06 PM

But what are they doing with these turbos?

Most of the people I see with "long lasting" eBay turbos are running them on cars that are just for to and from work. If this guy is going to get into "drifting" then his turbo isn't going to last very long.

-Dave

crazydrifter 10-29-2008 12:10 PM

what are all turboed hondas used for.... 3rd gear highway pulls/races over and over again duhhhhhh

lifted&lowered 10-29-2008 12:15 PM

The thing about ebay kits though is you get the entire kit for the price of just a turbo. I might be fine with an ebay kit since I won't be doing a lot of drifting.

USMCDrifter 10-29-2008 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by crazydrifter (Post 375231)
what are all turboed hondas used for.... 3rd gear highway pulls/races over and over again duhhhhhh

Okay, you got me, LMAO!

I spit out my Mountain Dew on that one . . .nice! If there was a rep system here, I'd rep you on that one, LOL!

Funniest line of the day hands down!

-Dave

shaban 10-29-2008 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by lifted&lowered (Post 375232)
The thing about ebay kits though is you get the entire kit for the price of just a turbo. I might be fine with an ebay kit since I won't be doing a lot of drifting.

Buy the kit, use everything except the turbo...

lifted&lowered 10-29-2008 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by shaban (Post 375234)
Buy the kit, use everything except the turbo...

That would work. Or use the turbo till it craps out then buy a new one. See if I buy the NA one I will have 3k to put into it. I could go all out on the turbo kit but I would rather not. I'll post pics if anyone is intrested.

shaban 10-29-2008 12:35 PM

why not just get the one with the Sr?

lifted&lowered 10-29-2008 12:38 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 12895

Attachment 12896

crazydrifter 10-29-2008 12:58 PM

is that the ka one?