S-Chassis.com

S-Chassis.com (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/)
-   S-Chassis Newbie / FAQs Forum (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/s-chassis-newbie-faqs-forum-43/)
-   -   Rotary tech has come home (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/s-chassis-newbie-faqs-forum-43/rotary-tech-has-come-home-44393/)

Rotary_tech 07-14-2008 06:21 PM

Rotary tech has come home

Hey guys, name is Anthony.
I'm 22, from northern California, and I've recently bought a 1996 240sx. It's a stock blurple SE model. It's my first car in roughly 2 years. Previous cars were an 87 RX-7 that landed me my job at place called Rick's Rotary Performance, a 94 Corolla, and my baby....a 1990 Nissan D21 Hardbody pick-up truck. The truck was my first love that got me into Nissans. I did a lot of stuff to that truck, and used it to run the mountains. That's what I do, I'm a canyon carver. I may not have a lot of experience with the S-chassis, but I do know quite a bit about diagnostics, and physics. I hope to learn a lot more about my car, and contribute any of my own knowledge to anyone who wants it.

Thanks for readin guys

BigVinnie 07-14-2008 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Rotary_tech (Post 369517)
a 1990 Nissan D21 Hardbody pick-up truck. The truck was my first love that got me into Nissans. I did a lot of stuff to that truck, and used it to run the mountains. That's what I do, I'm a canyon carver. I may not have a lot of experience with the S-chassis, but I do know quite a bit about diagnostics, and physics. I hope to learn a lot more about my car, and contribute any of my own knowledge to anyone who wants it.

Thanks for readin guys

Glad to have you aboard.. My name is Vince. I grew up in Chico, CALI. My first vehicle was a 1988 Nissan hardbody D21 with a NAPSZ motor. You are lucky to have owned a D21 with a SOHC KA, it is an excellent engine for modifying...
I think you will grow to love the S-Chassis, whether you keep it KA or go sr, it is definitely a fun car to own.
The after market support for most Nissans is enormous, and it keeps getting better. I think you won't have any problems sharing your knowledge with the rest of the community.

Biggamehit 07-14-2008 06:49 PM

welcome bro.

Rotary_tech 07-14-2008 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by BigVinnie (Post 369519)
Glad to have you aboard.. My name is Vince. I grew up in Chico, CALI. My first vehicle was a 1988 Nissan hardbody D21 with a NAPSZ motor. You are lucky to have owned a D21 with a SOHC KA, it is an excellent engine for modifying...
I think you will grow to love the S-Chassis, whether you keep it KA or go sr, it is definitely a fun car to own.
The after market support for most Nissans is enormous, and it keeps getting better. I think you won't have any problems sharing your knowledge with the rest of the community.

Yeah I've got big plans for it. Ultimately i'd like to swap a VQ35DE into it, that's why I got a 96, so I won't have to go thru the hassle of converting it to OBDII...I'm also a SMOG tech, so I know all about what I can/can't do to my car to keep it legal. I aim to stick it to the man!

BigVinnie 07-14-2008 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Rotary_tech (Post 369522)
Yeah I've got big plans for it. Ultimately i'd like to swap a VQ35DE into it, that's why I got a 96, so I won't have to go thru the hassle of converting it to OBDII...I'm also a SMOG tech, so I know all about what I can/can't do to my car to keep it legal. I aim to stick it to the man!

So you plan on the true RWD engine swap?
350z, FX35, or G35, VQ35de with tranny?
I understand that the transverse engines(murano, maxima, ultima) aren't C.A.R.B compliant with the state ref since it originally wasn't a rwd engine......
It will be very interesting to see your outcome....
I myself am starting a second 240sx project with a VQ myself, after all the research, I will probably go VQ35de, or HR, but it will definitely be from a 350, FX, or G35....
Since the 240sx weighs less than the 350, FX, or G35 I was planning on using the 1990-1996 Q45 VLSD with a 3.56:1 final drive ratio, for better consistent gas mileage and peak power.
Whats your take on it?

Rotary_tech 07-14-2008 09:10 PM

good idea, although that Q45 uses a 3.531:1 final drive, not a 3.56, U would need a longer gear ratio to keep the power down too as well as not to burn up VLSD from a car with lesser power. If the gearing was too short you would just spin the tires. From what I remember to to a legal Cali engine-swap, 3 requirements must be met.
1. The engine must have been manufactured in the US
2. The engine must be from the same model YEAR or newer
3. The engine must be from a similar vehicle type (car>car - truck>truck no mixing)

BigVinnie 07-14-2008 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Rotary_tech (Post 369530)
good idea, although that Q45 uses a 3.531:1 final drive, not a 3.56, U would need a longer gear ratio to keep the power down too as well as not to burn up VLSD from a car with lesser power. If the gearing was too short you would just spin the tires.

I just double checked a couple references, it seems we are both wrong although you are closer......
1990-1996 Q45 diffs in R200 pumpkin use a 3.54:1 final drive ratio...
I checked this DIY source...
http://www.240sxforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=101576

jramosthe1st! 07-14-2008 10:27 PM

welcome, as a former californian i always like to hear from other californians.

BigVinnie 07-19-2008 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Rotary_tech (Post 369530)
good idea, although that Q45 uses a 3.531:1 final drive, not a 3.56, U would need a longer gear ratio to keep the power down too as well as not to burn up VLSD from a car with lesser power. If the gearing was too short you would just spin the tires. From what I remember to to a legal Cali engine-swap, 3 requirements must be met.
1. The engine must have been manufactured in the US
2. The engine must be from the same model YEAR or newer
3. The engine must be from a similar vehicle type (car>car - truck>truck no mixing)

Nope there is more truth to it than that. In order for a transverse engine to pass BAR, and C.A.R.B exemption in california the transverse headers must also be implemented since that is what is verified under it's engine block code. Since the transverse headers cannot be used in the 240sx this makes the engine far from a BAR, and C.A.R.B approval..
This is the same reason why the LS1 swap in california is not BAR, C.A.R.B legal do to placement of the headers which leaves no room for the steering column do to the position and mounting of the LS-1 engine and OEM headers into a 240sx. Now some people have been able to use the Fbody LS1 with firebird or camaro ss headers, but the true Corvette LS-1 does not meet BAR , and C.A.R.B in a 240sx or most import cars for that matter.
The only way to have a true street legal BAR, C.A.R.B approved VQ swap is to use the FR engine type of the 350z, FX35, or G35, since header type are all OEM and meet the engine code.....

USMCDrifter 07-19-2008 07:05 PM

Where's my bag of popcorn when I need it . . . anyway . . .welcome to the forums, hope you enjoy your stay, it's always cool to meet tuners and mechanics with actual knowledge, not just the crap they pick up talking to random forum goers.

Cheers!

-Stig

Rotary_tech 07-20-2008 01:02 PM

Hahaha thanks. Yeah back when I was still lube jockey status at WYOtech, I saw a black FD pull around the back with a true C5 Corvette Z06 in it to go to the state ref's office that was located on campus. Guy drove out of there with a B.A.R. Label, and minus one hood LOL.

BigVinnie 07-20-2008 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Rotary_tech (Post 369836)
Hahaha thanks. Yeah back when I was still lube jockey status at WYOtech, I saw a black FD pull around the back with a true C5 Corvette Z06 in it to go to the state ref's office that was located on campus. Guy drove out of there with a B.A.R. Label, and minus one hood LOL.

Right now we have 3 guys at Norcaldrift.org, that are unable to meet BAR with there LS1 swaps.

I believe Andrew, Mark, and Luke sold there LS-1 built cars becasue they didn't meet BAR. Lukes car was a Formula Drift Car that he sold on ebay for something around $28,000 with the Hinson swap kip.

We are actually having a stupid debate over at norcaldrift as to what to swap over into a s chassis right now (VQ35de or LS-1)....
http://norcaldrift.org/index.php?showtopic=399

NiSmO Knight 07-21-2008 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by BigVinnie (Post 369846)
I believe Andrew, Mark, and Luke sold there LS-1 built cars becasue they didn't meet BAR. Lukes car was a Formula Drift Car that he sold on ebay for something around $28,000 with the Hinson swap kip.

I heard Luke sold the FD becuase the chassis tweaked on him in the middle of testing the car out at Altimont like a while back...

Anyways, has anyone thought about the last gen ls1? the one that is a rare find, has the ls6 tb and a few other parts from the ls6? I would think that would be easier since it has no EGR... one less thing to worry about.

But looking at ncd.org, I think the best option would be a custom steering rack in this case, keep the stock headers on the motor for the CARB#. The extra $ spent would last down the road when you go back to smog and all that.

Rotary_tech 07-22-2008 10:49 PM

I'm sorry but I was raised to hate American cars by my family. Everyone in my house drives a Toyota, except for me of course. And with that just came a complete bias against everything and ANYTHING American...LS anything into a Japanese car=BLASPHEMY!!!! I will own all you LS1 guys in my VQ-powered S14, or my 20B-powered FC. The 20B is already sitting on an engine stand at work waiting to be put into something....

acfalconhawk 07-23-2008 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by Rotary_tech (Post 369993)
I'm sorry but I was raised to hate American cars by my family. Everyone in my house drives a Toyota, except for me of course. And with that just came a complete bias against everything and ANYTHING American...LS anything into a Japanese car=BLASPHEMY!!!! I will own all you LS1 guys in my VQ-powered S14, or my 20B-powered FC. The 20B is already sitting on an engine stand at work waiting to be put into something....

I know what you mean, except my family is all for Nissan. I have an 89 240sx and my parents BOTH have 99 Maximas. the only one out is my brother who has an 02 Ford Ranger (cause it was the cheapest my parents could get a pickup for in good condition).