Service, Parts & Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Vendors can also use this forum to make product announcements and post review/results from thier product.

Cold Air in the rain

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2004, 03:56 AM

Cold Air in the rain

i was wonderin what someones experience with a cold air intake in the rain was. ive heard that it can suck up water into your engine and cause alootta damage. im about to order one but i wanna kno if anyone can help me out
Old 04-02-2004, 11:42 AM
Contributing Member

If you have a full on cold air intake, if you hit a puddle and suck up a lot of water say bye bye to your engine. Happened to my friends car...
Old 04-22-2004, 03:20 PM

not nececssarily. YOu just have to buy an air bypass valve from AEM. THey have different sized for different tubing. You can add it on even if you have lets say, an injen.

The bypass valve allows the engine to intake air through it if the cold air filter is submerged in water. Since the filter may be submereged, the valve kinda actly like a snorkel. Since there will be a presusre change, it will reroute air through the valve. like a short ram air intake

just think. you have a straw, and your drinking soda. now, put a hole that is considerably above the water (soda) line. you won't be able to suck all the drink in full stregnth.

you may think, "well, won't this happen also to the CAI with a bypass valve?" the answer is NO it will not happen. THe bypass valve has "holes" all around you can say. meaning it's sucking in more air through the valve.

the end. lol
Old 04-22-2004, 03:21 PM

and is engineered to do it's job
Old 04-22-2004, 04:48 PM
Contributing Member

^^^It all matters on the size of water you suck up, Bypass valves wont work if you hit a big puddle and suck a good amount of water...bye to your engine. Its possible becuase the same thing happened to my friend(same one that I was talking about earlier)
Old 04-22-2004, 09:08 PM

ah ic...well then if he's so worried about the cai, then just get a SR lol (short ram, not sr20 )
Old 04-22-2004, 11:59 PM
Contributing Member

^^Yea I wouldnt get a full on CAI...I dont trust the bypass valve
Old 04-23-2004, 06:18 PM

ooo you're in pasadena. nice
Old 04-23-2004, 07:08 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by SilviaS14KA24DE
ooo you're in pasadena. nice
You live around here?
Old 04-28-2004, 01:02 PM
Contributing Member

That's why the 2-piece CAI's are a little more "pussle friendly" since when it rains you can always convert to "short ram" action
Old 04-28-2004, 06:01 PM
Contributing Member

^^true.
Old 04-29-2004, 12:39 AM
Contributing Member

I just realized I typed "pussle" instead of puddle... but since none of us can read anyway, I guess it slid by
Old 04-29-2004, 12:49 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by l2aine
I just realized I typed "pussle" instead of puddle... but since none of us can read anyway, I guess it slid by
No it didnt, I noticed it but didnt say anything since I still understood your sentence
Old 05-21-2004, 10:05 AM

Two Piece CAI

SO What about the tubing going around the motor...I heard that it gets really hot and the tubing actually makes the air hotter...but on the other hand I guess the CAI is forcing more air into your motor...but I dunno if a CAI is good because of the metal tubing that goes around the motor right? So what's the point of getting one?

OH yea who makes good two pieces?
Attached Thumbnails Cold Air in the rain-sideleft.jpg  
Old 05-21-2004, 11:38 AM
Contributing Member

Re: Two Piece CAI

Originally posted by dvasallo
SO What about the tubing going around the motor...I heard that it gets really hot and the tubing actually makes the air hotter...but on the other hand I guess the CAI is forcing more air into your motor...but I dunno if a CAI is good because of the metal tubing that goes around the motor right? So what's the point of getting one?

OH yea who makes good two pieces?
True, the engine's heat will affect the temperature of air flowing through the cold-air tubing, buthere's a simple way to explain why a CAI is better than a short ram - a short ram has the air filter positioned closer to the engine, and when it takes in air, it takes in UNDER-HOOD air, which is hot. A CAI has the filter positioned farther away from the engine, and when it takes in air, it gets a majority of that air from the OUTSIDE of the car (relatively speaking). Both are affected by the engine temp, but the CAI starts with cooler air in the first place, somewhat countering the engine's heat to the CAI pipes.

Also, not all cars have their CAI pipes going around the engine like the 240sx. My old 200SX SE-R had a CAI that wouldn't wrap around the engine like the 240SX configuration. This in turn gave me more power potential than a short ram, which held the air filter approx. 12 inches from the exhaust header.

Finally, check the dyno numbers with CAI testing. They all show the same thing - increased horsepower compared to a short ram.

Oh - and I think Injen has a 2-piece, but don't quote me on that

Quick Reply: Cold Air in the rain