S-Chassis.com

S-Chassis.com (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/)
-   Service, Parts & Tuning Review (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/service-parts-tuning-review-50/)
-   -   Harness recommendations for AutoX (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/service-parts-tuning-review-50/harness-recommendations-autox-21944/)

nephthys 04-19-2005 07:28 AM

Harness recommendations for AutoX

Hello,

I apologize in advance if this is in the wrong section. I did a search for the word harness looking for recommendations however found very few results.

My automatic seat belt simply will not hold me in while autocrossing, so I think it's time for a harness.

Any recommendations? I'm currently looking at a Schroth 4 pt. harness online. Based on the mounting points in my 240 it seems a 4 pt might be easier to install than a 3 pt. What do you guys think?

A few people on this site mentioned they have a Sparco 3 pt. but never mentioned what they thought of it.

Any brand recomendations for ease of installation, adjusting and easy clasping?

Danke,
Lindsay

2fast4y0u 04-19-2005 08:20 AM

i would definetly go with the 4 point for the reason(i auto x too) you wont be moving all over during hard cornering and slolum(sp?). im going to be getting harnesses here soon too. its is way better then factory.

what suburbs are you from around chicago...i live out by dekalb-aurora...

i have a 98 240, ill send ya some pics of it.
Jay

nephthys 04-19-2005 08:25 AM

Jay,

Thanks for the reply. I'm in Lake Zurich, nw suburbs.. You're out in the boonies I see. ;)

The more reading I do the more this sounds complicated. I thought I'd be able to mount the two back straps to the rear seat belt mounts. However, at least in the Schroth vehicle list, the 240sx is not listed, and apparently the angle would be too much, which means it would have to be mounted up higher.

I'd really be curious to see some pictures of harnesses in the 240 to see how/where it's mounted..

- Lindsay

2fast4y0u 04-19-2005 08:39 AM

im way out in the boonies....

mouting your harness can be trickybut, are you going to keep the factory seat? there is this nifty strut tower bar so to say that you can install in your car and have it hold your harness. i have one in my car, fairly in expensive($50?), i will take a pic for you so you can see it. you mount the top part of the harness on that and the other side parts were your factory seat belts go. that way your belts all meet up over your seat were they should go.

its kinda confusing but, not to bad.

nephthys 04-19-2005 08:48 AM

Ya, I'm keeping the seats as they are. I just want to keep everything as simple as possible. If I can get away without using a tower/harness bar that would be best.

I've seen some mounting point diagrams, but I haven't seen much that would suggest what is ideal for any specific car..so confusing..

- Lindsay

2fast4y0u 04-19-2005 08:53 AM

i wish i had a pic of whta i am talking about

i ll draw a pic hang on a sec

2fast4y0u 04-19-2005 08:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
ok this is super generic but hooefully you get the idea

nephthys 04-19-2005 09:07 AM

Oh, okee, I see what you're talking about. Thanks :)

I went back out to the car, and I'm now contemplating taking the back straps through the split in the backseat, and drilling out holes and building a mount to the metal part of the trunk that's right behind the back seat. It would make the angle less severe than the back seatbelt mounts. Not sure if that made sense..

2fast4y0u 04-19-2005 09:11 AM

no its makes sense but thats a long way for your harnesses to stretch to. you want to make sure your harness buckle is going to be by your lap, becauase if its not...no comfortable.
if you have adjustable headrests then you can run the belts through there. if not just put them up were you want them.

Jay

nephthys 04-19-2005 09:19 AM

I see what you're saying, the metal is pretty much right up against the back of the seat, so I think mounting it there would only add a few inches length over using the back seatbelt mounts. Though both would be further than your harness bar.

I do have adjustable headrest so I'd be able to bring the straps through there. I do sort of wonder about the straps pulling up the seatbelt strap through.. I can't really imagine quite what it would do until it was installed and I put it on.. heh. :)

- Lindsay

2fast4y0u 04-19-2005 09:25 AM

exactly. as long as you have them long enough that they will go to your lap, you can tighten down the side belts so the top ones do move all over the place.

im planning on doing the same set up with the 4 point harnesses. they definetly will suite me for auto x and drifting. plus they look cool

nephthys 04-19-2005 09:33 AM

Ya.. I only autocross once a month or so but I found myself ending up having to turn often with my right hand on the wheel, and my left against the door to brace myself. I'll feel much more confident when I can keep both hands on the wheel in turns. :)

- Lindsay

2fast4y0u 04-19-2005 09:36 AM

i see...where you auto x at? im in the grand river region(west illinpis and east iowa). i ahve heard they have really awesome ones at rt66 speedway in joliet.

i usually steer one handed and shift with the other....even when my car was automatic for some reason is still only steered with one hand.

nephthys 04-19-2005 09:45 AM

I autocross with the chicago region scca at rte 66 in Joliet. :) Basically in the big ass parking lot behind the track.

2fast4y0u 04-19-2005 09:53 AM

nice yeah i have been trying to get down there and try it out. my friend went down there for last years very last event he said there were so many people there were i go maybe 50 people show up