S-Chassis.com

S-Chassis.com (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/)
-   Service, Parts & Tuning Review (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/service-parts-tuning-review-50/)
-   -   OEM seat belts (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/service-parts-tuning-review-50/oem-seat-belts-31712/)

chinchilla 04-04-2006 09:27 PM

OEM seat belts

So, i am one of those people that doesn't like automatic seat belts that come at you when you close your door. So as i was stripping my car, i decided to take them out. relatively simple, no harm-no foul removal. but then i realized that i would be taking this thing out on the street soon, and still no racing seats or harnesseseses. so i freak out for about 4.73 seconds and decide to take the back-seat seat-belts (shoulder and lap together) and install them on the front, thus eliminating the mechanical ones that frankly scare me, and keeping my car safe. (i'll get some pictures up if anyone is wondering how)

The pupose of this post is to announce that it can be done. and also to ask for any advice from others who have done it, as it is right now the belts have about 2-4 inches of clearance before they would be too short to reach the buckle.

HOW I DID IT:

Tools needed: a socket wrench with at least a 14mm and maybe a 10mm socket, a phillips and a flat headed screw driver, and a cutting device (optional)

1. remove all seat belt components(front and rear), keeping then orderly and in order.

2. remove seats to make step 7 easier, and is essential for step 11

3. remove panels from rear sidewalls (if not already)

4. remove back seat (at least the bottom)

5. give me a second to go out and check my car to see exactly what i did

6. OK, so i forget what originally went where, so i'm going to wing it.... on to step 7!!!

7. find the DRIVER side rear seat belt BUCKLE. about 7 inches long, has a button.... take the bolt(14mm) out. Take the PASSENGER seat, remove the buckle from the side, USE THE SAME BOLT(14mm) to bolt the rear buckle in, should be no trouble, aim it correctly. Repeat as needed for driver's seat.

8. take the PASSENGER REAR BELT, Lightly screw(14mm) the base (big reel) into the hole that the end of the rear seat belt came from. (NOTE: the reel will only release the belt at about a 23 degree angle, so if it doesn't work right, don't get frustrated, wiggle it around till you find the right spot)

9. take the MID PIVOT ANGLE THING, pop the plastic cover off, screw it into the upper hole (14mm) that the mechanical belt came out of (around normal shoulder belt range).

10. bust out your phillips' and flat-head, proceed to take the screws out of the door sill (flat plastic piece at the bottom of the door jam) and remove it for now. (these bolts are tricky so be careful, they are plastic and once you get them a little loose i suggest you use the flat-head to pull them the rest of the way out, it shouldn't hurt them. if you push to hard while unscrewing them they won't move, so be gentle and you shouldn't have trouble).

11. pull the carpet up just enough to remove(14mm) the belt that is sticking out near the door. remove it, then in the REAR-MOST hole, screw(14mm) in the end piece to the PASSENGER REAR BELT. (i went ahead and cut a little hole in the carpet, because it didn't exactly fit in the other, what you do is up to you)

12. tighten the REAR SEAT BELT BASE, find the right angle and tighten'er down

13. put the carpet back, put the door sill back, put the seat back.

14. sit in your seat, relax for a period no less then 6 minutes, have a cold one.

15. buckle your seat belt, check for errors, send me $5, stress test it.

16. repeat steps 1 through 15 on drivers seat (now that you know what you're doing, you'll do the drivers seat (the mosty important) better ;)

OPTIONAL STEP: I cut the hard-plastic guides off the rear seat belt base, I am still trying to figure a way to angle them higher or guide them better. that piece just wasn't working for this application

any questions?

'92 s13 240sx coupe. done straight from stock

Mr_fish_420@hotmail.com for questions/ comments

re037 04-05-2006 02:21 PM

alternative: canadian front belts

Monkey Boy 04-07-2006 03:37 PM

wouldn't it not have enough slack? i am thinking the rears have shorter belts. post some pics up! also how much slack is there when you sit in it buckled in?

chinchilla 04-08-2006 02:07 AM

Originally posted by Monkey Boy
wouldn't it not have enough slack? i am thinking the rears have shorter belts. post some pics up! also how much slack is there when you sit in it buckled in?
as it is right now the belts have about 2-4 inches of clearance before they would be too short to reach the buckle.