S-Chassis.com

S-Chassis.com (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/)
-   Service, Parts & Tuning Review (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/service-parts-tuning-review-50/)
-   -   A question on seasonal tires. (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/service-parts-tuning-review-50/question-seasonal-tires-1476/)

StanBo 10-04-2002 11:16 AM

A question on seasonal tires.

The Fall is here and Winter is coming. Another thread has started a conversation asking for opinions of bad weather tires?

Any opinions or suggestions?

rudeboy 10-04-2002 07:18 PM

Stanbo, you talkin front or rear wheel?

i hear good things about Blizaks (SP) --you get the idea--

battlestylespl 10-05-2002 03:02 AM

yokohama A520's = no good

Import Fanatix 10-05-2002 06:16 PM

All season performance tires suck anyway, might as well get a set of winter tires if you really need it or get some pep boy wonders for the winter that will get the job done.

Import Fanatix 10-05-2002 06:20 PM

Originally posted by spitz7985 on other thread
as long as we're on the subject, I was thinking about getting a set of Pirelli P7000 Summers and a set of Bridgestone Blizzaks. anyone have any experiences with either of these or hear anything about them (i.e. tread life, grip, sidewall strength)
If your gonna get 2 sets of tires, get something more stickier for the summer. Get the falkens as I suggested. The P7000 aren't that great or sticky. The blizzaks I've heard some good things about as a winter tire. But for the summer, more stickier than P7000. The paradas are pretty nice and decently prices that I had, and you know S-03's, Pilot Sports, and BF Goodrich KDW (all 3 pricey but you get what you pay for, right?)

spitz7985 10-05-2002 07:12 PM

tread life is especially important to me. how is the tread life on those tires you listed?

Import Fanatix 10-05-2002 07:26 PM

well the stickier the tire, the lower the tread ware is usually. the paradas have like a 300 treadware and are pretty good for the $ and I think better than the 7000. Check the rest on tirerack and they should have some more information.

SilvaPwr 10-15-2002 03:11 PM

Well right now, on the civic I have Nitto 450s and I really cant say anything about them bad. They have been good to me ever since I bought the rims back in June of 01. I have only replaced 2 tires in 1 year (I have a camber kit, not like all those other lowered hondas going around replacing tires every 3 months) and they have been a good tire through wet and dry weather. But this is FWD car, not RWD. What tires get a good rating here?

StanBo 10-15-2002 03:36 PM

I had Nittos and liked their wet traction but hated their sidewall strength. There was none. Tires didn't hold up to potholes or steelplates and bubbled on me.

SilvaPwr 10-15-2002 04:21 PM

Originally posted by StanBo
I had Nittos and liked their wet traction but hated their sidewall strength. There was none. Tires didn't hold up to potholes or steelplates and bubbled on me.
yeah i have heard about that kinda stuff, I dont drift in my civic so i wouldnt know, so whats a good "all season tire to buy"

StanBo 10-15-2002 04:58 PM

Originally posted by SilvaPwr
yeah i have heard about that kinda stuff, I dont drift in my civic so i wouldnt know, so whats a good "all season tire to buy"
I am rolling on a set of Toyos right now. They are a ***** to break in the rain. I can't break them unless I am pissed and my foot gets heavy. But if I just want to screw around they regain and don't want to break.

205-60-15 Stock SE sized tires. Here is what they look like:

http://www.toyo.com/tires/tire_lines...jpgs/spect.jpg

boro240 10-15-2002 09:04 PM

im glad i dont have to worry about snow and such...one of the benifits of hawaii..:)

Import Fanatix 10-16-2002 05:40 AM

Originally posted by boro240
im glad i dont have to worry about snow and such...one of the benifits of hawaii..:)
Lucky Lucky and your closer to Japan, so you get all the parts, all you need to do is swim. But All season tires, are basically anything that has some decent tread pattern IMHO

StanBo 10-16-2002 05:06 PM

Originally posted by Import Fanatix
Lucky Lucky and your closer to Japan, so you get all the parts, all you need to do is swim. But All season tires, are basically anything that has some decent tread pattern IMHO
Good point. I went to the tire place expecting to get a set of Kumhos. They didn't have them so they installed these tires.

Shoot I was on the highway doing 70 today in heavy rain. Feels good to have treads that cast water away.

SilvaPwr 10-17-2002 01:49 PM

Ya know I saw a commercial on TV the other day watching speedvision for toyot tires, they actually look like good tires. I see alot of people with them and was wondering if they were any good, but now i know. :D