S-Chassis.com

S-Chassis.com (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/)
-   Show and Shine (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/show-shine-4/)
-   -   mods for the poor man.... (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/show-shine-4/mods-poor-man-18637/)

illipse 12-28-2004 10:42 PM

mods for the poor man....

got any recommendations for mods which are nice but can be done without draining the bank account?

even small things which you think help out your car's looks.

thanks

C-Walk 12-28-2004 11:21 PM

front lip... maybe some eyeliners?

Timeless240 12-29-2004 03:09 AM

Cheap stuff I've done so far, which adds up =)

FREE sleepy eye mod for s13 hatches (cut the brown wire)

ebay - $30 clear turn signals, $20 clear sidemarkers, $20 upgraded bulbs all around, $40 Sylvania Silverstars headlights

$5 CAR WASH and Vacuum

$20 rubber floor mats for the winter beaters

$5 SEAFOAM your fuel injectors and throttle body (search)

$10 NGK spark plugs

$40 K&N drop-in air filter element

$5 HOME DEPOT FRONT LIP! haven't done yet, but the idea is intriguing.

2fast4y0u 12-29-2004 08:30 AM

octane boost :) im just playing

Amolao 12-29-2004 08:56 AM

Generic intake air intake filter and ebay filter element bracket....

Polish valve cover...and paint if desired..

JC Whitney fog lights....

:dunno:

gazelle 12-29-2004 03:36 PM

Hell look at what Raines done, most his stuff is incredibly nifty and nice looking for not much, he painted his wheels and painted on eyeliners, check out his car domain page

naptime 12-30-2004 12:00 AM

yea get a front lip if your car didn't come with one. what do you have anyway? yr? coupe/fastback? to lower your car and have a decent setup, go with kyb agx OR koni yellow for struts/shocks. h&r OR eibach OR intrax for springs.

rivneo1 12-30-2004 03:00 PM

A full tune up in the engine and advancing the ignition timing should give some ponies w/o draining the bank account.

l2aine 01-04-2005 08:41 AM

Originally posted by gazelle
Hell look at what Raines done, most his stuff is incredibly nifty and nice looking for not much, he painted his wheels and painted on eyeliners, check out his car domain page
:D :D :D :D free commercial LOL!

...stuff off the top of my head (I might repeat some of TImeless240's post):

- Brown wire sleepy eye mod (S13)
- Unplug the resistor(?) if your car is auto
- Cut airbox
- Z32 fuel filter (let's not debate this again - it's been done LOL)
- 8.5mm plug wires (PDM has Auroras for a good price compared to Magnecor, etc.)
- Paint stuffs (valve cover, etc.)
- Repaint stuffs (like my taillights - bring back the shine)
- Ebay strut bars (just front upper and rear upper; forget the tie bar crap, that's Honda stuff)
- Upgrade brake pads
- K&N drop-in (combined with the cut airbox mod mentioned above)
- Vented hood
- Wire up the front corner markers to blink opposite of the bumper signals
- Remove OEM intake resonator
- $10 on 2 cans of engine degreaser and one medium steel brush; make your engine bay sparkle

That should be enough for a weekend or 2 :D

Abo1787 01-05-2005 10:36 AM

Originally posted by Timeless240
Cheap stuff I've done so far, which adds up =)

FREE sleepy eye mod for s13 hatches (cut the brown wire)

ummm explain please i have an s13 hatch and i am wondering what ur talkin ab can u please explain do you mean where the headlights flip like halfway up or something else im kinda lost i kno im a noob but please help lol

NissanS14Kid 01-05-2005 10:43 AM

i painted my wheels Graphite Black.

twofotisx 01-05-2005 11:45 AM

it's possible to make pop up headlights sit halfway up for a pretty cool look for free. However your going to half to look to find it. Mind you that it's not that hard to do or find (Hint it's in this forum).

SR20detoofast4u 01-05-2005 03:56 PM

hey Jay, what's that about the resistor? I have an auto and was kinda curious...

l2aine 01-06-2005 03:45 AM

Originally posted by SR20detoofast4u
hey Jay, what's that about the resistor? I have an auto and was kinda curious...
Not too sure on this (I'll have to look it up) but I read somewhere that under your airbox, on the inner part of the front fender (under the hood, not behind the wheel) there's some small harness with like 2-3 wires or something, and I remember reading that if you unplug it the auto tranny will "shift differently" like at a later RPM or something.

Again, I kept the subject in memory but I'll have to look it up again - I didn't really make it a point to remember the details since I have a clutch :)

Timeless240 01-06-2005 08:19 AM

Don't do that auto shifter mod! Well, if you're like me, do it once, try it for a day or a week, then get over it. I don't have any concrete evidence, but for people that know trannies they say it's deterimental to your automatic transmission in the long run. Experts chime in and correct me or back me up, please.

Basically if your have an automatic transmission s13, open your hood, and on the driver's side near the top of the wheel well is a little gray plastic "connector". Unplug it, close your hood and go. Now your car will shift a lot "harder" going from first into second gear, as opposedto the completely smooth shift before it was unplugged. That's the only difference. All other shifts...2nd to 3rd, 3rd to 4th are all the same. Shifting now will give you that faux-5 speed head jerk when it shifts.

If you're in a turn when this happens it will definitely break traction. It is fun for a while but the head jerk effect is a little too much, especially for passengers.