S-Chassis.com

S-Chassis.com (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/)
-   Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/suspension-chassis-brakes-15/)
-   -   alignment advice (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/suspension-chassis-brakes-15/alignment-advice-42758/)

510skater 01-22-2008 05:37 PM

alignment advice

i have an s13 and im about to go get an alignment for the first time...

im lowered on kts coilover with camber plates in the front and adjustable ruca's and toe arms in the back...

my cars alignment is all messed up because of some offroad adventures so at the very least i would be happy with my car driving in a straight line after the alignment...but because of the adjustments available in the back is there any settings i should ask for to help my car handle better...im more into grip driving and autocross so if anyone has some specs or advice please let me know

MS!3 01-22-2008 05:59 PM

http://www.clubfr.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=4879
this should help out, might have to make an account if you dont have one already.

also call around and find which shop has the lowest rack.

ryguy 01-22-2008 06:26 PM

If the alignment is that bad you probably broke something or bent the frame.

510skater 01-22-2008 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by ryguy (Post 352407)
If the alignment is that bad you probably broke something or bent the frame.

ya i hope thats not the case but i havent got an alignment since changing the suspension components i just eyeballed them to make them close to stock length and made the camber plates even on both sides.. i looked under the car and nothing seems obviously bent but i guess ill find out how bad the damage is on thursday when i get the job done

Bumnah 01-22-2008 08:00 PM

go with a factory alignment setup. if you want add more negative camber.

quite honestly. if you did a major suspension rehaul and then got in an accident
you'll want to get it as stock as possible to make sure it's good. trying to fix a problem with the alignment that's not spec will make it even more difficult to problem solve.

510skater 01-23-2008 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by Bumnah (Post 352431)
go with a factory alignment setup. if you want add more negative camber.

quite honestly. if you did a major suspension rehaul and then got in an accident
you'll want to get it as stock as possible to make sure it's good. trying to fix a problem with the alignment that's not spec will make it even more difficult to problem solve.

thats some good advice...

im curious to see if they can get it close to the stock specs because i got a "sears hookup" alignment one time and all the numbers were in the red right of the bat..it turned out the guy who was trying to do it had no idea how to adjust a camber plates so it came out worse than when i brought it in... i ended up adjusting the plates to be even again right when i got home it was the worst 35 bucks i ever spent

jramosthe1st! 01-23-2008 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Bumnah (Post 352431)
go with a factory alignment setup.

the problem is that some shops will only do the alignment if the car is stock height to begin with.

510skater 01-23-2008 06:21 PM

im going to a performance alignment shop they already know what parts i have and that my car is lowered...

they told me they can try to get it close to stock specs or if i want specific settings to bring in the numbers i want

CharlesJ 01-24-2008 01:19 PM

If you didnt hit anything , you may be fine. As mentioned, a little neagtive camber will help the handling. Keep toe and castor stock until you know what you are doing. Once you are very familiar with the car, you can start messing with toe to change turn in characteristics and stability

510skater 01-24-2008 10:00 PM

so i got my car done today the numbers were way off before but they got everything straight....

the car was in an accident before i got it so on the front driver side so he needed to max out the plate on that side so get it back to normal...

so the next step is some tension rods so get some more adjustability in the front