S-Chassis.com

S-Chassis.com (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/)
-   Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/suspension-chassis-brakes-15/)
-   -   Bouncy S13 (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/suspension-chassis-brakes-15/bouncy-s13-44898/)

240smoke 10-17-2008 05:50 AM

Bouncy S13

I installed Tein super drift coil-overs and now my car is bouncy as hell. I have the suspension set to the softest setting.

Does anyone know why my S13 is so bouncy? It is hard to drift and autox with the car being as bouncy as it is.

Endura-Tech 10-17-2008 08:27 AM

Maybe you have too much spring load on them. Back off the spring load (what I mean by this is reduce the spring seat off the spring themselves so that the spring is not compressed really tight). You want to have the actual spring to be just snug between the spring seat and the top mount. Well a little more than just snug. For example, if the springs free length (not being compressed) is 8". Then put enough spring load so that the springs overall height compressed is then 7 and 14/16, basically just less over 7 3/4". YOu shouldn't have the spring compressed even 1/4" of an inch.

Your height adjustment of the coilovers should be made by the lower bracket on those, not by adjusting the spring itself. Make sure that is the case.

What are the spring rates?

Once you have made sure the spring load is correct, then work on the dampening of the shock.

In the end, if you are not happy with them, sell them and buy Endura-tech.

Safe Driving!

240smoke 10-17-2008 09:26 AM

The Spring rate in the front is 559lbs or 10Kg, rear is 448lbs or 8kg. I have the car lowered all the way in the front and almost all the way in the rear. When I raise the car, the spring is loose and can be moved easily. not sure how much they seat with pressure cause I cant really see them...

Biggamehit 10-17-2008 09:39 AM

the biggest error people make is thinking that the collar at the bottom of the spring lowers the cars becuase i was one of them years ago.. as mentioned that is how you preload them... if the spring can't compress and uncompress properly, the car will bounce

you adjust ride height with the Very very bottom collar.

also

10kg in the front and 8kg in the rear is WAY wrong for drifting brother way wrong

more like 7 in the front and 8 or 9 in the rear.

USMCDrifter 10-17-2008 09:57 AM

It feels like somethin's heatin up can I leave wit youuuuu

I don't know what I'm thinkin bout really leavin wit uuuuuu

240smoke 10-17-2008 11:23 AM

Alright, so there are 3 collars on the suspension. i have all 3 at the bottom in the front. the back I have the one collar all the way to the bottom and the other 2 are half inch above it. So am I supposed to pull that **** back out to lower the car?

Endura-Tech 10-17-2008 01:18 PM

IT sounds like you need to go back and look at the Tein install manual.
The collar just above the lower brackets that attach to the spindle etc. is where you will adjust the height of the coilovers (the lower bracket will rotate up and down and then use the collar to to lock that in place). If the fronts have all 3 collars stacked on top of one another, that is not correct.

Maybe you should adjust the ride height a little higher, you can drift without being slammed to the ground and as well it will prevent any more wear and fatigue on the shocks than you have all ready caused. As it sounds like you are running around on bumpstops.

There should be some gap between the lower collar (just above the lower attachement brackets) and the two collars that set the pre load to the spring.

You should swap your springs rates around so that the 10K are on the rear and the 8k are on the front.

240smoke 10-18-2008 12:24 PM

Yeah, I am new to coil-overs so I am absolutely clueless. My friend said that we might need to send them back to tein to get re-valved. They were already pre-assembled from japan. I just took them right out of the box and installed them. as for the installation manual, it is translated poorly so some of the stuff doesnt make sense. Ill go back through it and lower it the right way and adjust the spring load the correct way. Damn, I feel like such a dumbass, haha. Spend $1500 on suspension and screw it up.

fadedsilvia 10-19-2008 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by USMCDrifter (Post 374564)
It feels like somethin's heatin up can I leave wit youuuuu

I don't know what I'm thinkin bout really leavin wit uuuuuu

?

240smoke 10-20-2008 06:53 AM

yeah I was kinda confused by that too. haha. What song is that and what does it have to do with suspension?? haha.

Endura-Tech 10-20-2008 10:23 AM

[QUOTE=240smoke;374600]as for the installation manual, it is translated poorly so some of the stuff doesnt make sense. QUOTE]

Go live in Japan for a few years. Then it will make sense.

240smoke 10-20-2008 11:22 AM

haha, yeah right. I barely even live at my house these days cause I am so busy. I dont think I have a couple years to spare to live in Japan.

Endura-Tech 10-21-2008 07:29 AM

It's not sparing time if you are getting paid for it. Got a college degree? if not get one. Then research teaching English in Japan. They are always hiring English teachers for private night schools, elementary schools and junior high schools or even in government offices etc.
If there is a will, there is a way.

240smoke 10-21-2008 09:42 AM

I am currently going to school for electrical engineering. haha. plus english is my worst subject. I cant write a paper if my life depends on it.

240smoke 10-27-2008 07:11 AM

Alright, I finally brought my car to the shop and adjusted the suspension the right way. Set the pre-load and lowered with VERY bottom nut. It made a world of a difference.
Thanks alot for the info.
Funny story,
so i went gripping that night and ended up running over a black cat after leaving a halloween party. Hmm, is this good or bad luck? It didnt completely cross my path and my friend was behind me and said that the cat did a triple axle. haha. I feel like such a doush for killing the cat. My nick name is now CK Scott. (Cat Killer Scott)