S-Chassis.com

S-Chassis.com (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/)
-   Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/suspension-chassis-brakes-15/)
-   -   Burning Rubber Smeel Coming from Wheel Well (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/suspension-chassis-brakes-15/burning-rubber-smeel-coming-wheel-well-33228/)

BurnOut 06-19-2006 05:44 PM

Burning Rubber Smell Coming from Wheel Well

I have a burning rubber smell coming from my rear left wheel well after I drive my 240 for a little amount of time. I dont know if the oem muffler I just got plays a role in this but I can definetly smell the rubber smell. I took it to the mechanic today and he says it could be the clutch. I don't want to spend tons of money just to CHECK if its the clutch when the clutch seems to be working fine. I forgot to mention that the smell was coming from the wheel well to the mechanic. Does anyone know what may be causing this??? I am guessing either the brakes or the muffler may be playing a role. The only new part is the muffler though and it does not smell like oil.

I would appreciate any help from you guys if anyone has any ideas. Thanks alot.

Sincerely John

Levi SPL S14 06-23-2006 10:32 PM

Umm jack up your car and see if the tire is hitting or rubbing on anything. Tires with real low PSI will start to burn since now your driving on the side wall.

motegineon 06-24-2006 06:47 AM

also check your pads/rotor maybe the brake is seized up or rubbing and the smell is brakes on fire.

g3bio 06-24-2006 10:36 PM

if your car is to low ie. coilovers, your problem might be with rubbing against the coils and rotation of the wheel is causing rubs.

Badazz_240 07-08-2006 11:47 AM

I agree.... My best guess is that you are rubbing on something (most likely wheelwell or strut/spring) or you are just accelerating a little too hard :)

Also, if you dont know what clutch smells like, its along the lines of a weak rotten egg smell

Give your brakes a check, and if your clutch starts slipping then look into that as well.

positron 08-04-2006 08:53 AM

Re: Burning Rubber Smell Coming from Wheel Well

Originally posted by BurnOut
I have a burning rubber smell coming from my rear left wheel well after I drive my 240 for a little amount of time. I dont know if the oem muffler I just got plays a role in this but I can definetly smell the rubber smell. I took it to the mechanic today and he says it could be the clutch. I don't want to spend tons of money just to CHECK if its the clutch when the clutch seems to be working fine. I forgot to mention that the smell was coming from the wheel well to the mechanic. Does anyone know what may be causing this??? I am guessing either the brakes or the muffler may be playing a role. The only new part is the muffler though and it does not smell like oil.

I would appreciate any help from you guys if anyone has any ideas. Thanks alot.

Sincerely John

When that happened to me it was because my tires were too wide/big and were rubbing on the struts/fender well.