Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Make your 240sx/Silvia's handling better and stopping faster.

busted steering rod?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2005, 09:14 AM

busted steering rod?

I'm looking underneath my car at the driver side wheel. A bushing, this sleeve, is leaking badly. This bar comes off the tire, slips over this ball sockets thats obviously busted, and runs up from there onto a mounting plate onto the bottom of my bumper. I looked in a book and from what I can tell its called a steering rod bushing.

When I hit the breaks, my front tire bobbles back and forth a bit with a slight creak sounding from the mid front. If that helps any.

So questions occur. Do I need a shop to do this? I heard something about having to press the bushing in/out. To me it looked easy enough to just unbolt, but the buhing might be a problem. Any words on this would help, i've got to get it fixed soon.
Old 06-29-2005, 10:41 AM

if you could post a picture of what you're talking about, it would make it alot easier. The tie rod end is a ball joint end that bolts to the control arm. There is also the tension rod, which bolts to the control arm, and goes up the the front of the car. Take a picture. They are worth 1000 words.
Old 06-29-2005, 11:07 AM

i just bought the peice i need. its a tension rod ( 68 i think ) anyhow, i got it for 50 bucks. the bushings inside the bar that holds it, so i shouldnt need any compressing right? from the looks of this, it bolts in easy, one through the bushing. and the other peice does connect to the control arm. any words of adive before i jack up the beast?
Old 06-29-2005, 12:09 PM

nope...just simple bolt in.
Old 06-29-2005, 01:02 PM
Contributing Member

did you get the whole tension rod? or the bushing? I just did my tension rod install today. If you got the whole rod, make sure you got a new bushing, or an aftermarket adjustable rod. If you just got the bushing, take the rod to a machine shop and get the pressed out, its a lot easier than doing it yourself.
Old 06-29-2005, 04:12 PM

bolted right in. came in one peice, dealership was the only place i could find a good one. doing the other side next week when it comes in. i'm redoing a nissan with some front damage, replace the core support, bumper, hood, both fenders and the pass. flip light. gonna be fun. i'll try to get some pics.
Old 08-06-2005, 10:31 AM

My cars busted in a simelar way and i need some help. My rotors got warped i think, so the car would be like "BAM BAM BAM" and bounce as i hit the brakes. It was bouncing so much that it broke something else.

I jacked the car up and went to take of the wheel, but the wheel moves about a good 1/2 to 1 full inch left and right with out even moving the steering wheel. So i took the wheel off, but couldent see if the rotor was warped or not (can you tell by looking?) But i see this rod. It is on the rear side of the brake assembly going from behind the wheel to what looks like where the power steering rod? It connects with a ball joint in the middleish of the car. When I move the wheel left and right, I looked at it, inside the ball joint, the actual ball part moves around inside the socket.

What part is this, where can i get it, how much is it, and is it easy to fix??? I am Very afraid, and have to drive Very slow to work, I am afraid it will disconnect and my wheel will do what ever it wants to since it wont be connected anymore.
Old 08-06-2005, 10:32 PM
Contributing Member

That sounds like your Tie Rod End took a **** and you need to replace them BOTH.
Old 08-07-2005, 07:40 AM

blast. how much do they run usualy? and ease of installation?
Old 08-07-2005, 12:49 PM
Contributing Member

Intallation - 4

out of 1-10 1= easy 10=difficult

buy some kazama or tein search and fine whats bests for you.