S-Chassis.com

S-Chassis.com (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/)
-   Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/suspension-chassis-brakes-15/)
-   -   Do I need new suspension with swop? (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/suspension-chassis-brakes-15/do-i-need-new-suspension-swop-4925/)

sm7400 07-23-2003 01:19 PM

Do I need new suspension with swop?

I've come to this board looking for answers to the many questions I have conjured up while considering an SR20 swap.

The one for your guys in this forum is....

Do I need to replace my suspension when I install the SR20 into a 91 240?

The engine probably weighs more then the KA so I want to make sure my car is still driveable once I get this engine in, LOL.

Thanks in advance for any help.

-HyJynX- 07-23-2003 05:09 PM

isnt the SR like a few pounds lighter? or is it heavier...it isnt much differnce at all. My friend has a SR with stock suspension and it handles go0d. Doesnt seem to be a difference.

StanBo 07-23-2003 06:09 PM

Fix what is broken in your car. I just did an Nismo Power Brace install on mine.

StanBo's Install

http://www.importfanatix.com/assets/...nstall_067.JPG

I found out the hard way. Take a look at your tc rod braces. They seem to come apart when you drive the car hard. I drift hard three days out of the month and my car is taking a beating.

I would look out for anything that doesn't seem right. Does the car pull to one side? Does it look like it isn't even? Is there a moan or grown or slap that happens somewhere?

Fix it.

Get a good alignment.

sm7400 07-23-2003 09:20 PM

Originally posted by -HyJynX-
isnt the SR like a few pounds lighter? or is it heavier...it isnt much differnce at all. My friend has a SR with stock suspension and it handles go0d. Doesnt seem to be a difference.
Finally! Some good news, LOL.

-HyJynX- 07-23-2003 11:07 PM

Originally posted by sm7400
Finally! Some good news, LOL.
lol, glad i helped ya a bit:p

SHIFT_Lock 07-26-2003 03:46 PM

a sr is 3 lbs lighter than a dual cam KA.

also a swap should be next to last then body stuff.

learn the car stock . then get suspention. then brakes and so on. but fix evrything first.

and get a LSD! i hate seeing someone with a sr and broke. no suspention, steelies and a open diff. doesn't make sense.

StanBo 07-26-2003 04:13 PM

Originally posted by SHIFT_Lock
a sr is 3 lbs lighter than a dual cam KA.

also a swap should be next to last then body stuff.

learn the car stock . then get suspention. then brakes and so on. but fix evrything first.

and get a LSD! i hate seeing someone with a sr and broke. no suspention, steelies and a open diff. doesn't make sense.

Hey stop reading my ****ing mind! hahahahahah

Here is my path so far:

Front end redone. Every arm new. Ever bushing new.

http://www.importfanatix.com/assets/...nstall_067.JPG

Suspension install and aligned.

Brake swap purchased and 5 lug swap purchased.

VLSD installed and now being upgraded to a ATS 2 way.

Clutch upgraded. Short shifter. Roll bar. Harness. Steeringwheel.

The whole car will be redon before the SR even gets ordered.

SHIFT_Lock 07-26-2003 09:33 PM

see thats how you do it. and when you do get a motor swap it feels alot better cause you know the car and what to do with it. now you have the power to be even better and then you will really be able to see what a 240 is all about.......werd is born...

SHIFT_Lock 07-26-2003 09:35 PM

and stan i hope you put your swaybar on after that pic....;)

StanBo 07-27-2003 05:25 AM

and stan i hope you put your swaybar on after that pic....;)
Hahahaha you bum! That swaybar hasn't been around for months.

sm7400 07-27-2003 09:34 PM

Well I have the super Hicas so I think my car comes with VLSD.

I will do the suspension first, and the interior so i can stand being in the car (its really bad now) as for the looks, i might do soem stuff, but im more concerned with performance than looks so I'd probably get an SR before a body kit, but im definitly lowering it first.

I'm looking at the Tokico struts but im not sure what springs, the look i want is the wheel lined right up with teh front fender and the the rear wheels to tuck into the fender just a little bit ....
like the bmw convertables, my mom has a 3 series and it looks cool.

SHIFT_Lock 07-28-2003 12:31 AM

haha stanbo let out the drifters secret. tite ass lots of sway up front....i still like a bar up front tho. so does it help you alot?

StanBo 07-28-2003 03:30 AM

haha stanbo let out the drifters secret. tite ass lots of sway up front....i still like a bar up front tho. so does it help you alot?
No it quiet honestly sucks. My car rolls to the point where I am totally pissed off. I don't want to turn up the dampening to compensate because that throws off the suspension.

I have seen pictures of my car in action and the fendergap is HUGE!