S-Chassis.com

S-Chassis.com (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/)
-   Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/suspension-chassis-brakes-15/)
-   -   fadage when applying hard breaking (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/suspension-chassis-brakes-15/fadage-when-applying-hard-breaking-42592/)

Sillybanshee 01-05-2008 11:27 AM

fadage when applying hard breaking

What do you guys think could be the problem of this? when i apply the breaks at a hard application at a descent speed of 25+mph my car fades the the left but turns the wheel to the right...... what in the eff could b doing this? poor wheel alignment, bad overall breaks, or a screwed up frame? idk what it could be.:crap: mayb blown shocks?

CharlesJ 01-08-2008 06:41 AM

Pulling to one side under braking can be a sign of a bad alignment or a faulty brake system. Possible problems with the brakes include seized calipers, glazed, worn out, or otherwise ruined pads. Inspect you brake pads to make sure they are still there with life left. Look at the rotors to see if they still look smooth or if they are really messed up. If your rear brakes are drums, you will not be able to see if they are worn out, but should be able to hear. To see if the calipers are seized, have someone apply the brakes while you look at them and see if they are moving. The rotors could also be to worn (thin) for the calipers to apply proper pressure. If you are not able to do this, take it to a shop. I think brake shops even do free inspections.

Also, I understand that it is pulling to the right, but I dont understand what you mean by fading to the left. Fading is a term used to describe the cars ability to slow down going away usually due to overheating the brakes. This generally only happens from very high speed stops or repeated hards stops like on a track where mid way through slowing down, the brakes slowly have less ability to stop the car

evanyj 03-25-2008 08:24 PM

I had this problem with my Jeep and it was just warn pads. If its pulling hard to the right the problem is likely with one of you left brakes, not producing as much stopping power as the right side, causing the right wheels to slow faster, pulling you in that direction.

Poor wheel alignment would usually make the car pull/drift to the right while driving as well as braking.

I suppose a blown shock in the front right would cause it to pull to the right under hard braking since most of the cars weight is shifted to the front, but handling would probably also be effected i think.

If fading left then pulling right is a sequence of events then i would assume the right brakes are damaged or worn, causing them to have less stopping power at first (making the car fade left) then locking up (pulling hard to the right). This might happen if you have no pad left, caliper on rotor, explaining poor friction at first then building more friction and locking up.

Like mentioned above a full brake system inspection is a good idea, i saw a commercial for midas today doing a 55 point inspection. If you have ABS it also may be a sign of failure there.

SuperHatch 04-02-2008 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by CharlesJ (Post 350624)
... Possible problems with the brakes include seized calipers, glazed, worn out, or otherwise ruined pads. ...

I agree with Charles, and as an addendum, siezed caliper pins can also cause all sorts of phantom issues and have you chasing problems in all the wrong places. Makes sure the pins of your sliding calipers are properly lubricated!

Also, if the fluid in the system has been boiled a number of times or if there is air in the system, you will also get strange issues.

I also agree with Charles on your use of the term "fading", can you clarify?