Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Make your 240sx/Silvia's handling better and stopping faster.

Mild suspension/brakes setup

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 05:51 AM
Club240 Staff

Originally Posted by Levi SPL S14
Coilovers, even if you dont want them. Your car is front heavy anything besides coilovers is not going to handle that well.
You need to complete that thought. Coil overs in themselves will not be an answer to his added frontal weight. Custom coil overs with different spring rates and valving would. Could use a slightly higher front spring rate to achieve the same balance as before the RB. This however takes some thought and a lot of setup to make it better. And as mentioned, not a cheap crappy set of coilovers

If he is not going to spend the money, time, and effort on making a custom setup, then coilovers are not necessarily the answer.
Old 07-27-2007, 05:36 PM

Has anyone used the tanabe sustec coilover setup? They are relatively cheap at 700 bucks, and from a repuatable company? A good spring and shock setup is going to the cost me about 550, so I might try to find some coilovers if i can get them for less than 700. I'm iffy on using used coilovers, I had them on my old corolla and had to get 2 of them rebuilt because the original owner abused them, So id rather just get them new.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:28 PM

Do NOT put 2" drop springs on stock shocks. They will blow out within a few months. I would invest in KYB AGX shocks, and maybe some progressive springs that will drop the car at most 1.5" (as to not void the shock's warranty).
Old 07-28-2007, 01:30 PM

Yeah listen to nightkid86. He has KYB AGX shocks with a progressive spring and his car handles great. The ride is very comfortable but when he wants to push it he can. I like it a lot.
Old 07-28-2007, 07:21 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by CharlesJ
You need to complete that thought. Coil overs in themselves will not be an answer to his added frontal weight. Custom coil overs with different spring rates and valving would. Could use a slightly higher front spring rate to achieve the same balance as before the RB. This however takes some thought and a lot of setup to make it better. And as mentioned, not a cheap crappy set of coilovers

If he is not going to spend the money, time, and effort on making a custom setup, then coilovers are not necessarily the answer.

No no im right, RB is heavier so even a set of JIC, Teins,etc.. will be much better than a spring shock combo. Since most springs only go up to 5kg which is to soft. Who ever said a set of cheap crappy coilovers? I know I didnt. Most manufactures have the spring and valving set accordingly to the set you purchase. You dont buy super cheap coilovers and expect awesome performance. If you trying to get a spring shock combo that is similar to coilover stiffness then you looking at race springs and a set of ohlins or bilsteins shocks. If your going to spend that money then you might as well get the adjustablity that coilovers have to offer.
Old 07-28-2007, 08:15 PM

Or you can go with KYB AGX , and Megan racing Springs as the most affordable set up.
Or you can do the KYB AGX, and Eibach springs as teh expensive set up.
For bars I would go with either the tunabe , or the CUSCO's.