S-Chassis.com

S-Chassis.com (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/)
-   Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/suspension-chassis-brakes-15/)
-   -   question about cutting springs.... (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/suspension-chassis-brakes-15/question-about-cutting-springs-45568/)

1991se240sx 03-16-2009 06:39 PM

question about cutting springs....

well see.....this summer i plan on doin a complete overhaul of my suspension and brakes. Gonna do a 5 lug conversion and maybe Q45 brake conversion, change out and upgrade all my bushings and what not and get some TEIN flex coilovers and invest in some strut bars(upper and lowers). But my question is....for now i wanna lower my ride height stance(considering i plan on getting it overhauled this summer) Whats gonna be some factors if i cut a coil or 2 off of each strut? was thinkn bout doin a two coil cut on each one but i dnt want to bounce around over evry lil crack in the road( my buddy did that on his 93 sentra SE-R and it rode like dogshyt) i jus cant stand how high up it sits. So what type of flaws am i lookin at by doin this and what will be sacrificed by this?? thanx guys

240smoke 03-16-2009 06:45 PM

I wouldnt do this if I were you. I did it and regretted it. It looked way cooler but the result was a bumpy ride and soon after, I blew 2 struts. If you are going to do it, I would only do it very little.

Nickmerrone 03-16-2009 06:51 PM

just save up for springs like i'm doing..its not worth to cut them.

240smoke 03-16-2009 06:56 PM

I would just not worry about it till you get the good suspension. Instead of getting lowering springs, you could get adjustable rear camber arms as the rears are going to be cambered inwards pretty badly.

jramosthe1st! 03-16-2009 07:08 PM

DO NOT CUT THE SPRINGS!!!!1!

now that that's out of the way i'll just say that i've been riding on cut drop zone springs for about 5 years with out any problems of any sort. if you plan on doing any sort of aggressive cornering definitely don't cut them. for everyday driving a coil or two won't harm much but it will affect the spring rate. if you do cut them leave both driver side springs a bit longer. just don't over do it to the point that the car moves like a teeter totter when driving. not only is it super gay but dangerous as well.

1991se240sx 03-16-2009 07:29 PM

so basically its just not worth it to sacrifice looks for ride quality? my dream setup sounds a lil somthing like this( prolly take the rest of the year to save up for) TEIN FLEX coilovers maybe Tanabe front and rear stabizer bars,front and rear strut brace, tension rods, KAZAMA aluminum bushings,tie rod ends,rear upper contrl arms,Energy Suspension polyurethane bushings, NISMO front power brace, SPL rear brace,SPL rear lower control arms............sounds kinda dramatic on a daily driver i know.......but its only a dream right now, too much??

240smoke 03-16-2009 07:37 PM

Are you planning on tracking the car at all?? Just replacing the bushings will do wonders. Wouldnt really worry about getting coil-overs or all those arms and such if its just a daily driver.

1991se240sx 03-16-2009 08:10 PM

not really....just basically take it to the track/strip on the weekends to have a lil fun. Might be makin the journey out to your hood cuz i dont know of anything down here in Columbus. Im a novice at that kinda stuff to begin with but it sounds like fun to be able to go out on weekends and track it or what not. Also want it to handle its own just in case some lil punk bastards in their hondas or mitsus wana get slapped up on the e-way.

240smoke 03-16-2009 08:57 PM

Yeah, I dont even bother racing them. That pisses them off more. HAHA. I found out that one of the local honda fags was trying to race me, turns out I was driving normal and he was flooring it and was having a hard time keeping up. HAHA. I have to represent DriftCleveland so I cant really be caught drifting/racing my car.

shaban 03-16-2009 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by 240smoke (Post 383583)
Yeah, I dont even bother racing them. That pisses them off more. HAHA. I found out that one of the local honda fags was trying to race me, turns out I was driving normal and he was flooring it and was having a hard time keeping up. HAHA. I have to represent DriftCleveland so I cant really be caught drifting/racing my car.

blah blah blah. pussy.

240smoke 03-16-2009 09:22 PM

Cant say that I dont mess with them every now and then. Just prefer not too.

1991se240sx 03-16-2009 10:11 PM

ur the man smoke.....i feel u on that one. Lil fags aint even worth the time. i laugh when a lil single came crx with an exhaust trys revving up on me at a stop light and i can shyt on thm with a bone stock dual cam 240.....off topic as hell, but what are the stats on a dual cam KA24DE motor? HP and torque?

Rmetler 03-28-2009 03:18 PM

155hp 160tq @ the crank

1991se240sx 03-29-2009 08:21 PM

sweet man/.....thanx, My dude has a s14 and told me 240's only hav 120hp to the crank and 130trq to the crank....now i can finallly shut em down. thanx a ton dude

240smoke 03-29-2009 09:15 PM

He prob meant that much to the wheels which is prob accurate.