S-Chassis.com

S-Chassis.com (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/)
-   Turbo Motor (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/turbo-motor-12/)
-   -   BOV adjusted tight or loose? (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/turbo-motor-12/bov-adjusted-tight-loose-30308/)

b0rdin4life 02-04-2006 01:01 PM

BOV adjusted tight or loose?

I was wondering if you all could tell me the advantages and disadvantages of having your BOV adjusted tighter or looser. Thanks.

nsn240 02-04-2006 03:33 PM

too loose - back firing, the air already metered by the maf is blown out, so the engine runs rich at that point
too hard - doesnt blow, comprosser surge

i have mine on the hard side, slight surge at low rpms, but not as much backfiring and sh*t

b0rdin4life 02-04-2006 04:29 PM

I have mine recirculated, does that make any difference of how to have it set?

nsn240 02-10-2006 09:11 PM

Originally posted by b0rdin4life
I have mine recirculated, does that make any difference of how to have it set?
yes, certainly... all the air is recirculated, so all the metered air says "in the system", no backfiring, so technically, you could set it really loose. But hard enough so there's no boost leak

b0rdin4life 02-10-2006 09:33 PM

Sounds good. Is there any real reason for me to make it looser or adjust it at all since it's recirculated?

nsn240 02-11-2006 12:24 AM

Originally posted by b0rdin4life
Sounds good. Is there any real reason for me to make it looser or adjust it at all since it's recirculated?
personally, i wouldnt like my bov to be blowing at real low rpms... the only reason would be to keep the spring tight enough so there is no leaking

silviasichigo 02-11-2006 01:46 AM

Yeah totally what I would have said....if you ever get the opportunity to go Power FC D-jetro you never have to worry about your BOV settings (Minus the leaking part) again I know most people that do not recirc it get the car shut off feature added to their list of mods D-jetro eliminates that. Power FC is so easy to Tune and I can get them relitivly Cheap with commanders around $700~ sometimes less.

nsn240 02-11-2006 03:37 PM

Originally posted by silviasichigo
Yeah totally what I would have said....if you ever get the opportunity to go Power FC D-jetro you never have to worry about your BOV settings (Minus the leaking part) again I know most people that do not recirc it get the car shut off feature added to their list of mods D-jetro eliminates that. Power FC is so easy to Tune and I can get them relitivly Cheap with commanders around $700~ sometimes less.
do you have any idea how that works? im curious to know what it does to keep it from backfiring/stalling. I never had any trouble with stalling, just backfiring when the bov was too loose. The D-Jetro sounds sick though

Kaion1000 02-12-2006 10:14 AM

Originally posted by silviasichigo
Yea SAFCs have the decel air function which is supposed to do the same thing... I think it just tells the ECU to cut back the amount of fuel being put in when you let off the throttle from WOT. This prevents the motor from running extremely rich and stalling in between shifts...
good chance I'm wrong about this though*

nsn240 02-12-2006 11:53 AM

Originally posted by Kaion1000
Yea SAFCs have the decel air function which is supposed to do the same thing... I think it just tells the ECU to cut back the amount of fuel being put in when you let off the throttle from WOT. This prevents the motor from running extremely rich and stalling in between shifts...
good chance I'm wrong about this though*

nope, you got it right

Otterman 03-10-2006 09:02 AM

Is there any way to tell when you have it too tight or too loose or do you just have to drive around and tell by yourself?

nsn240 03-10-2006 12:51 PM

Originally posted by Otterman
Is there any way to tell when you have it too tight or too loose or do you just have to drive around and tell by yourself?
1, you can hear it cracking open all the time, whistling.. and backfiring and sh*t

also not building boost, and hearing the bov whistle/woosh/blow whatever while building boost or at wot

you really should be blowing off if you are shifting over ~3500+

what bov do you have?

Otterman 03-10-2006 08:05 PM

HKS SSQV. I backfire a lot unless Im really gunning it so I was thinking about tightening it. It is not recirculated so that could be the reason for the backfiring.