Turbo Motor Discussions about aftermarket turbo'd 240sx and Silvias.

SR20 Turbo Problems, Need some help

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 06:00 AM

SR20 Turbo Problems, Need some help

Hello,

I am new to Turbo charged engines and have just encountered my first problem. I was driving my car that has just recently been put together. It has a black top SR20. I had brought the car up to the higher end of the rpm range during a straight line acceleration when I heard what was a rush of air leaving the system. This occurred at about 6400 RPM in second gear. Immediately after that I let go the throttle and the care started to bog down and want to stall. I was about 2 minutes from home so drove the car home with not much more than an idle. Yesterday I started the car again, it idled fine for about 90 seconds and then started to experience a rough idle and the exhaust gasses smelt extremely rich. I am also seeing extremely high engine vibrations.

From what I am thinking now ....... do I have some part of the intake plumbing disconnected causing a leak? Can the waste gat be stuck in an open position? Is there something I am missing?

I was also told that running a small amount of propane gas or aerosol starter gas along the plumbing and listening for spike in the idle rpm is one way to look for leaks. Can anyone advise on this method? Any additional tricks? Help with this would be appreciated!!
Old 10-27-2006, 09:15 AM
Contributing Member

search "boost leak tester" and make one, sounds like thats ur problem