S-Chassis.com

S-Chassis.com (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/)
-   Turbo Motor (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/turbo-motor-12/)
-   -   turboing the ka (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/turbo-motor-12/turboing-ka-8179/)

auto240 12-16-2003 07:47 PM

turboing the ka

thats what i decided to do. turbo the ka instead of a swap. im just wondering how many people done it. are you happy with it? how hard was it? how much did it cost? thank you

drnovascotia 12-16-2003 07:48 PM

1. Search button will find you many answers!

2. Wouldn't this beloing better in the Turbo forum? Then it shall be so!

Dr.

87camarodan 12-17-2003 09:13 AM

i recently made the same decision. hit me up with some PMs, we can share info that we find as we both go through the process!

JR.h1jax0r 12-17-2003 08:06 PM

try heavy throttle. they have some turbo kits for the KA i believe.

To do a decent bolt on job, just slap the turbo, manifold, and intercooler on to have a functioning kit. Just don't boost too high as the pistons and rods are the weak link of the KA.

A proper job should include low compression, forged pistons and forged rods. New cams, ported and polished head (personal preference, but not needed), and 3 inch exhaust should be done as well. You'll also want a metal headgasket installed as well.

There's a thread in the engine swap entitled "why are people swapping their KATs" where Night from Night 7 racing lists off a KA rebuild list with prices.

jspec_silvia_13 12-18-2003 11:53 PM

I would like to know from anyone Turboing the KA24DE would be a fine substitue for the SR20DET, for drifting or drag racing. I know the ka is a iron block and it would be much better suited for a higher psi with of course the right internals rather than the sr's aluminum block. Yes i know theres a diff. in weight but, would the power compinsate for the weight?

drifterswanted 12-19-2003 09:40 AM

I am interested too...

drnovascotia 12-19-2003 10:27 AM

KA isn't that much more weight than a SR! With a properly built engine the KA can do just as much as a SR, arguably more. Check out some posts on KAT, it's a little more DIY, but I am planning on rebuilding next year, and then getting up the $$ slowly to do KAT.

Dr.

VT_motor 12-29-2003 06:14 PM

Not to sound like a record...but i am turboing my 92 240 KA. If you guys run into anything interesting send me an email ....thanks

Driftin RPS13 01-18-2004 07:48 AM

Originally posted by JR.h1jax0r
try heavy throttle. they have some turbo kits for the KA i believe.

To do a decent bolt on job, just slap the turbo, manifold, and intercooler on to have a functioning kit. Just don't boost too high as the pistons and rods are the weak link of the KA.

A proper job should include low compression, forged pistons and forged rods. New cams, ported and polished head (personal preference, but not needed), and 3 inch exhaust should be done as well. You'll also want a metal headgasket installed as well.

There's a thread in the engine swap entitled "why are people swapping their KATs" where Night from Night 7 racing lists off a KA rebuild list with prices.

ummmm.....i am like 98% sure that the KA has forged rods!!!!! so i dont think the rods would be a weak link in the turboing of th eKA!@! pistons i would believe but i am pretty damn sure the rods are ok as (like i said before) many a person has told me the Rods are forged!!!!!

cdigity 01-18-2004 01:24 PM

i say the ka24de is just fine for turbo
i've got my ka turboed, love it!
so far dyno at 5psi w/ manifold leak produced
226whp and 235 ftlbs. torque
stock internals and injectors and ecu
next dyno will be at 10 psi
i'll be running stock injectors w/ 2 supplimentry injectors
that come on after 5psi for extra fuel.
hope to see 300whp(should'nt be a problem)

cdigity 01-18-2004 01:26 PM

oh yeah, the specs:
kkk k-27 turbo
jgs log manifold
audi wastegate
hks b.o.v.
vortec s.f.m.u.
jgs front mount intercooler
split second extra injector controller
turbonetics manual boost controller

just added:
pivot a.f.c.
apexi avcr(first gen.) boost controller

elks240 01-18-2004 11:17 PM

i am at 258whp 278 torque @12psi with stock internals on a motor that has a little over 153k
t3t04e spearco fmic walbro fuel pump 39#injectors homemade manifold safcII aeromotive fpr set at 42lbs base 1st gen dsm bov there is more but that is the basics

with everything down to fittings i am around 3400 with about $450 in installation fees

chriswgsx 01-20-2004 04:38 PM

the problem with high boost on a ka is not the internals it is the compression. with improper tuning you will get bad o2 and timing and as a result you will get knock and detonaton. a good way to lower compression for cheap money is a low compression head gasket and a good idea is arp head studs(highly recommend for turbo cars) some head gasket companies are cometic and rideal. im sure there are more, but the honda/acura fmax kit has an option for an rideal that drops a full point! that makes a huge difference for extra boost.

elks240 01-20-2004 08:35 PM

go cometic that is what i will put in when things start going pop

no one i have heard of has blown one yet out of about 35 people with hp's between 250 -687hp

Driftin RPS13 01-20-2004 09:22 PM

i no only one person that blew his KA and thats couse he spiked to 19 psi on the highway!!!

but i was wondering(not to thread jack) if anyone knows if there is a company that makes aftermarket Cams for the KA??!?!?!?!?!

or is anyone selling there 91 cams?????

i need cams!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!-