S-Chassis.com

S-Chassis.com (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/)
-   Turbo Motor (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/turbo-motor-12/)
-   -   What is ram air? (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/turbo-motor-12/what-ram-air-7071/)

NOS_is_4_cheat 10-28-2003 06:18 AM

What is ram air?

Ive always wondered what ram air is and what its good for.
Can anyone help?:dunno:

Sil40_Mayhem 10-28-2003 07:02 AM

Re: What is ram air?

Originally posted by NOS_is_4_cheat
Ive always wondered what ram air is and what its good for.
Can anyone help?:dunno:

the best "guessplination" i can give u is that ram air is a method that channels air directly into ur intake. for instance, if u look at the scoops on SS camaros or WS6 firebirds, u'll see that they channel air directly into the air filters (methinks) of the motors. benefits? not sure, but i think it has something to do with cooler, denser air. when in doubt, look it up!:thumb:

NOS_is_4_cheat 10-28-2003 07:06 AM

I think i get it:dunno:

ooooohhh...hey go to this website

www.howstuffworks.com

just type what ur looking 4 in the search box.

their like the best website for everything!!!!

im glad i remembered:idea: :idea: :thumb:

drnovascotia 10-29-2003 07:24 AM

ram air is when the air is forced into the intake, generally it's used with hood scoops that ram the air down into the engine and into the intake. Thats the easiest explanation I was told.

Dr.

NOS_is_4_cheat 10-29-2003 07:37 AM

Thanks 4 the help.:thumb:

Romeyo07 10-30-2003 08:14 AM

Serves the same purpose as a turbo would just at a lower level. You're trying to RAM air into your intake, thus providing more air for your engine, which when used efficiently, provides more horsepower. Typically it's induced through a ram air hood scoop or through ducting on an open vent in your front end that that goes to your intake.

NOS_is_4_cheat 10-31-2003 06:46 AM

ooooooohh...thats sounds alot cleareer than the others...:thumb:

drnovascotia 10-31-2003 07:22 AM

Originally posted by Romeyo07
Serves the same purpose as a turbo would just at a lower level. You're trying to RAM air into your intake, thus providing more air for your engine, which when used efficiently, provides more horsepower. Typically it's induced through a ram air hood scoop or through ducting on an open vent in your front end that that goes to your intake.
Wow, looks like what I said. Ram air is more effective, I've seen a couple camaro's w/it and a 300zx. HOWEVER, only so much air can go in, so it's only so effective. It's not like the turbo blower in ebay that sells for $150

Dr.

NOS_is_4_cheat 11-03-2003 06:12 AM

Turbo blower...?

s13zilvia 11-03-2003 07:52 AM

right but that would only be functional when the car is moving at a higher speed,unlike turbo cars when u can build boost off the line with an auto.but i guess when ur going fast it probaly works pretty well,the same principle can be apdoted on 240s get a ricer cowl hood and custom intake,so the car is still considered N/A

NOS_is_4_cheat 11-06-2003 07:23 AM

oh...:eek:

Romeyo07 11-07-2003 11:10 AM

ram air doesn't classify your car as a FI car, although the name implies it. once you reach anything beyond a few mph, you're shoving more air into your intake than you would without it.

Silviaspeed 11-08-2003 08:00 AM

"Ram Air" is given the name because of how it works. Your in effect directing the air through a smaller space, inline directly with your intake filter. The purpose for the ram air is for air velocity.

For example:

Take a landscaping backpack blower, and use a 10 inch plastic hose to balst your friends with. Pretty powerful.

Now minimize that opening to what you normally see on a backpack blower, roughly 3-4 inches. Now the same amount of air is being forced through a smaller opening, in effect increasing the air velocity. The same idea holds true with Ram Air setups, only the air is flowing into the engine rather then being blown out.