Audio, Video and Security Stereos, Subs, In-Dash Tv's and alarms

Almost 20 hours later, the system is in!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2003, 05:59 PM

Almost 20 hours later, the system is in!!

Well, my brother and I installed my system into the 240 this weekend in wretched NJ temperatures. We had done one ourselves in my Tercel that I had before this, but it was done half-*** (as in not clean) so this time we decided to do it right. All in all it took us about 20 hours (including 4 meals) over 2 days.

By far the most difficult part was running the 4 gauge power cable from the battery to inside the car. We tried for almost an hour and a half to run it through the rubber plug of the wiring harness but it was just too damn big. We ended up cutting a hole in the passenger side frame above the door hinges and snaked it through.

Put in an Aiwa CD head unit, steering wheel remote, MB Quart component setup in the front, Infinity references in the rear, a Blaupunkt Overdrive 10" sub in a bandpass box and 2 Profile Clarus amps (one 600w 4 channel and one 600w mono).

The whole setup sounds great, very clear and full. I was also pleasantly surprised by the lack of rattle coming from the trunk (those Overdrive subs hit crazy hard) but the grills on the rear deck are buzzing too much.

Things I need to clean up are the buzzing and the engine noise as there's a deep hum when the system is on regardless of volume and a high pitched whine that changes in relation to RPMs. But all in all a very sucessful home install.
Old 01-13-2003, 12:55 AM

at lot of the time much of the rattle comes from the license plate vibrating against the car. wedge something with a stiff elasticity between the plate and tail end. those little styrofoam popcorn could be a super ghetto fixer...worth a try i suppose. eliminating plate vibration might even remedy the whole problem. good luck
Old 01-13-2003, 08:04 AM

Thanks for the tip, but I walked around the outside to check for vibration first and I was very suprised that everything was pretty solid. The vibration is defiitely from those stock grills in the rear or from something in the rear deck (maybe wires or the thin metal braces running on the underside of the deck). I'll probably take a better look at it when it gets a little warmer.

My main concern is the low, deep hum that occurs at any volume. There's a tad bit of engine whine like I said, but this is a deep hum that doesn't vary so it actually is washed out once the volume is turned up. But I'd like to get rid of it for when I've got passengers and the volume is very low. Any suggestions anyone?