Audio, Video and Security Stereos, Subs, In-Dash Tv's and alarms

Anyone running infinite baffle subs in the 240's rear deck?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2004, 02:14 PM

Anyone running infinite baffle subs in the 240's rear deck?

Hi guys, I'm trying to get an s14 this summer and I'm really into sound quality. I'm gonna be installing a bunch of audio stuff, and i was wondering if anyone here is running subs in the rear deck of the 240. Have you had any issues with excessive flexing or difficulty in sealing the trunk off from the cabin? thanks,
ross
Old 02-04-2004, 06:25 PM

<------audio guy myself.
and to be honest I/B takes alot more work then its worth. you'd more then likly be better off just making a box that fires through the rear deck. I/B is in most cases more then its worth in work.
Just my $.02
Josh
Old 02-04-2004, 09:49 PM

Well, its a lot of work, but besides not having a box take up space, you get greater efficiency, a lower overall system Q, and more low end response. I'm just wondering if the 240 has any specific issues with sealing off the trunk since I haven't bought one yet. Thanks!
Old 02-05-2004, 05:32 PM

you would honestly get more low end response for a ported box tuned low.
and yea no box to take up space, but if you do put stuff in the trunk its gonna change your air space and effect your response.
to each his own. i would personaly go with some decent subs and go ported.
and thats exactly what i intend on doing. my box for two 10's is only gonna take up 3cuft of my trunk. to me thats not much for the amount of output im gonna get and my low end response. 3cuft tuned to 32hz, (2)10" RE XXX's 1600wrms each im gonna
run themm at 1200wrms each. but for 770 for the pair i should hope im getting the lows i want.
Just my $.02
Josh
Old 02-05-2004, 10:27 PM

whoa, thats some power. i have 200 watts to play with here, this setup really isnt designed to get obnoxiously loud. the sound of an IB sub and a sub ported and tuned low is totally different to my ears, and I prefer the dry bass of an IB setup. I'm gonna look into working with the plastic side panels by the rear seats, supposedly about .75 cubes in there, which is just what i need for the sub(s?) i'm gonna be getting. Thanks for the advice, and I'm sure 2 10" XXXs will get sick loud. If i had the power I'd run a brahma 10 in a tiny sealed box probably, same idea pretty much. Peace!
Old 02-06-2004, 10:32 PM

yea i understand where your coming from with the diff in sound. most people dont really notice but as you said your into sq. and for sq your headed the right way.
im not really trying to get obnoxiously loud tho. im gonna be running a pretty balanced system. i like it to play really clear but also have the power to ripe your head CLEAN off! key word there being clean lol
i just cant stand loud muddy distorted sound systems.

best of luck buddy hope it works out to your liking.
Josh
Old 02-07-2004, 03:17 PM

thanks i was working on my friend's 240 with him today, and without the spare in the trunk, there's a ton of space back there. I may look into ditching my spare and doing some fiberglass work, maybe incorporate an amp rack into it too. Peace!
Old 02-07-2004, 07:35 PM

thats a great idea. thats what i would do also but i wanna be able to pull my box out easily. subs weigh 56lbs a peice. so a regular box will work for me.
since your into SQ i would recomend a image dynamic's ID Max. even with just 200watts it would play VERY accurate and could be ported/seal/ or Ib like your looking to go and with a sub that versatil you have plenty of room for upgrade. bigger amp diff box's. it may be a lil outa your price range tho. 399 for the 10 and 449 for the 12's at sounddomain.com if you can find them cheaper anyplace else online thats not e-bay or on sale sounddomain will price match it. but yea its a truely amazing subwoofer.
Josh
Old 02-08-2004, 07:00 AM

yeah, idmaxes are great, but the price and powerhandling are really unnecessary for what i'm doing. im gonna probably get a creative sound sx10, its a really efficient sub using xbl^2, has really low distortion numbers and will get plenty loud with my 200 watts. But my dream setup would be 3 idmaxes IB with about 800 watts each
Old 02-08-2004, 09:02 PM

yea 3 max's would be insane. but yea i thought that might be a lil outa your range for your goals now anyways.
sounds like you have a real good idea of what you want.