Audio, Video and Security Stereos, Subs, In-Dash Tv's and alarms

an article about sub - box's

Old 06-08-2003, 10:34 AM

haha, i've had 2 10's... 2 12s and it just aint cuttin it for me.. so orginally i was thinkin 3 10's.. cuz those always sound good.. but now im startin to feel 4 10"s... but yeah i agree about 10's i think they sound MUCH better then 12s personally.. and i think 15s suck ;x
Old 07-24-2003, 12:33 AM

My experince,
I had a flase floor with a JL15 WO in the spare tire well, sounded not so good.
I had 3 JL 10WO in a standard box, sounded great expecially when added with the 15.
I have 3 alphasonic 10s, on in each rear side panel in the frame, will post pics, one on the shelf, and the 3 JL 10W0s in the back. This sounds not nearly as good and I will explain.
When the subs are firing the ones in the panels are in enclosers that are not big enough, the can't be turned up to loud. The one on the shelf is going straight up and sounds ok. The 3 in the trunk fire back and sound great alone but when the others are on, bad.
When the sound goes the trough of one wave hits the crest of another therefore compressing the out going wave. All the subs blaring the same way would result in crests hitting crests and troughs hitting troughs of the waves and therefore amplifying the sound! I would have to say, no matter what you do, get them all going the same way!
Old 08-16-2003, 11:31 PM

It really depends on what you are wanting out of your sound system. If you want spl go with a a sub like mtx's 8000 series or their new 9500. JL audio subs are much more about sq. They are not as loud, but if you want something to hit low and hard I'm yet to hear a better sub. Eclispe makes a great mid priced sub in their alum. series. I'm currently using a polk audio 12 inch momo sub. It is plenty loud and it it sounds really smooth. The thing to remember the most is that you get what you pay for (just like everything else).
Old 09-27-2003, 06:55 PM

i have been a car audio installer for about six years now and i have almost heard it all. What i have found is that the sound is all in the owner, if they like it then it sounds great. I personally like three 10's, i have had that set up in my last 3 cars. But power is more important than the woofer, a good amp makes more of a difference than an expensive woofer. but that is just my opinion.
Old 11-05-2003, 08:05 PM

the trunk on this 240 is soooo danm small , that's the only thing i miss about my maxima. i've had 10's,12's and 15's. for all of you that think 10's have better sq than say a 12 or 15, ur wrong, it is the biggest misconception about subs.i personally like the sound of one 15 the best. w7's aren't bad but for the money you could do a whole lot better. i'll add some sites as to some not so mainstream subs that kickazz; www.edesignaudio.com , www.beyondauid.ca.tc , www.reaudio.com , www.adireaudio.com , www.stereointegrity.com ,
Old 12-09-2003, 01:31 AM

solobaric L7's and L5's are both really good for the price. they hit hard and have a great sound. i'd say they're pretty close in quality as the jl w6 and w3 line, but the square design is supposed to make them hit harder because of more surface area.
Old 01-06-2004, 04:18 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by rycegrl
haha, i've had 2 10's... 2 12s and it just aint cuttin it for me.. so orginally i was thinkin 3 10's.. cuz those always sound good.. but now im startin to feel 4 10"s... but yeah i agree about 10's i think they sound MUCH better then 12s personally.. and i think 15s suck ;x

i totally agree with you about the 10's vs the 12's...and 15's blow ***
Old 01-30-2004, 10:06 AM

hahaha i got to 10'' mtx thunder 6000 and they pound pretty dam good but i'm thinking about getting alpine instead..
Old 07-16-2004, 12:12 PM

i have a 93 coupe with 3 MB Quart Premium 10" subs in a custom box, and a JL 1000 for my bass. I have never, and i mean never heard better, cleaner bass than i have in my car, and i've heard a lot since i have been an installer for 7 years, and i have worked at a few shops. I now work at Sound Advice. JL subs are great subs. they have the best of both worlds. they have great sq, and good spl at the same time. as far as comparing them to kicker, there is no comparison. kicker is more bass for the money, but jl's have superior soound quality.
Old 07-28-2004, 12:10 PM

I WILL GO WITH TWO 12'S . THE MORE CONE AREA YOU GOT THE MORE SPL YOU WILL GET. 2 10'S WILL DO BUT, 2 12'S WILL KNOCK YOUR HEAD OFF( IF THEY ARE GOOD SUBS AND HAVE GOOD POWER) .
Old 08-12-2004, 12:51 PM

Are Bazooka prducts any good? My friend was going to sell me a P. Miller 12in with an 800w P. Miller amp
Old 08-15-2004, 02:59 PM

simply put......................you would be stupid or just plain ghetto if you bought it

most of that p miller crap is just that....crap
Old 08-17-2004, 10:19 PM

hey i work at andres car audio in kelowna, so far i have custom molded my dash and put a set of componets in the doors, i have also custom molded a 12" PG tantrum in to the right rear quatrer panel, i was gona do a small wheel well but it is so shallow so you dont have too much deapth to work with. this winter i am convertitng my car into a full out PG demo car with all of there new octain r series stuff. Anyways to get back to the topic you realy have to decide if you want sound quality or spl, personaly i like sound quality, jl w7's are not what i would call a sound quality sub sound quality you want a very efficent sub, another question is weight how much weight are you willing to put in the rear. as for you 15's blow *** they only sound bad when the dont have enough power there are alot of people who use 15s for sq but the trade off is that you need alot of power, you need the power to start and stop that super heavy cone, but once your over that hurdle its awsome form there. as for my choice of good subs, the new alpine type x are an awsome sq sub that is also capable of huge power hadleing so it can go loud with its 75mm of excusion and i also like the new PG xenon as well as my favorate SQ sub is AVI hand built and a life time warenty built right here in canada

thats my 2 cents
Old 09-17-2004, 06:58 AM
Contributing Member

i have installed car audio equiptment for 13 years and i love hearing the debates about what subs are the best... in this post it has been said befor that it all depends on what you are looking or better yet listening for... if it is fast bass response such as the double bass kick drumb sound in the song one from metallica then a 10" woofer in a sealed encloser would be better for that application... if you are looking for ground pounding give the ole lady 5 cars away a heart attack then 15" woofers in ported (or if you must a bandpass) with loads of power...2 years ago i set the state record in california with a single jl10w7 in a jl ho wedge box built for the w7 and ran 2 crossfire bmf1000 mono amps... it was in a 1992 honda civic hatchback that was too loud to sit in...and then i have gone overkill with a texas truck i built with 16 12" subs and 5000 wats of power... it all comes down to what you are trying to accomplish with the audio systems...
my next audio set up that i am in the process of putting together... pics will come when i start construction... im going with 3 10" jl audio 10w6 woofers powered by 3 jl 250/1 amps fiberglassed into the hatch area of an 89 240...this should give me the fast double kick drumb bass from metallica or the pounding bass from most rap/r&b music... there are also products on the market that will help to contour the bass for all types of music... any good signal processor will help... products from companies like audio control give you the ability to boost or cut the bass signal from the dash... there are also produts such as a bass cube from phoenix gold that give you not only a bass boos or cut but an adjustible frequency to help tune the boos to that of your enclosure... ask any installer out there layout is the first step in building a quality system... getting the right equiptment to do exactly what you ask of it befor you turn the first screw...go to your local shop and talk to the installers... most will answer your questions and give you ideas of what parts to get you the sound you are looking for... the second thing is quality... you get what you pay for... sure you can make wal mart equiptment sound okay... but you will not get the quality that you would get from a jl or a kicker...then it is the install... each speaker needs to work in the area it is designed for... if that means things like fiberglass enclosures in the doors then thats what it takes... it is going to cost you more money for things like that but well worth the price... one other thing... almost every installer i know dosent mind makin the cash after hours... if you cant do the job yourself you might be able to get them to do it on the side... money talks...spend the time to look into what you are going to do befor you rush out and buy this or that cus your friend has it in his car and you want it too... i now live in knoxville tn and i have to hide my eyes from some of the work i have found out here...a lot of the hack and slash that happens to cars from people doing it themselves... if you take your time read and follow directions then you get some of the things like are posted on this forum... it all comes down to are you going to do something you wont want others to see or not???
thats more than 2 cents worth but car audio is my second passion...
Old 09-30-2004, 06:58 PM

wikd240, what would you suggest for putting my 12" Kicker CompVR into my 91 240sx? i gotta make it fit and definetly want it in the trunk. are there any bandpass boxes available that would fit in my car? otherwise, would a small sealed box make quality sound?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: an article about sub - box's