Audio, Video and Security Stereos, Subs, In-Dash Tv's and alarms

crossover question

Old 11-03-2007, 06:44 PM

crossover question

Hey could somebody please explain to me the prosess of installing crossovers
and what exactly do thjey do
Old 11-03-2007, 07:52 PM

Cross overs split an audio signal for component speaker setups. You have the audio coming out of your head unit or amp into say, your front right speaker. But instead of a single 6x9 or something you've got a separate tweeter. The cross over filters out the high end for the tweeter.
Old 11-03-2007, 08:09 PM
Contributing Member

what kind of crossover, electric or passive (capacitor)? most good amps have crossovers built in. most midrange speakers such as 6x9 have passive crossovers that divide the frequencies for each corresponding speaker. most tweeters come with passive crossovers but woofers do not.

electric crossovers are far better because they are adjustable and in combination with a pre amp the sound quality is by far superior to that of most component speakers alone.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:19 PM
Contributing Member

Well, if you're installing a component system, or a set of speakers that have crossovers that come with them you're going to want to wire the output from your headunit (that go to the speakers) to the main "in" on the cross over. Then another will say "mid" or "woofer" sometimes, and the other will say "high" or "tweeter", you just have to connect those to the correct components.

That's essentially it. If you've got an amplifer with a built in crossover then you're just going to have to run the speaker wires as normal and adjust the sound at the amp itself. I know Eclipse brand off the top has a very nice crossover, but most higher end amps that will be able to push past 130w or so RMS will have a decent crossover as well. Hope that helps.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:21 PM

alrite alrite how do i hook them up i dont know what kind they are but they have a input tweeter and woofer connections
Old 11-03-2007, 10:06 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by samsmybabygirl
alrite alrite how do i hook them up i dont know what kind they are but they have a input tweeter and woofer connections
Well like I said, the output from your headunit needs to go to the "input", then you need to have speaker wire going from "woofer" to the "woofer" and "tweeter" going to the "tweeter".

...I don't know how to make it any clearer...lol. Let me know if you're still confused.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:30 PM

nono i understand now and also i have a 6 bolt sparco steering wheel wut is the cheapest installation kit i can get for it
Old 11-04-2007, 02:50 AM
Contributing Member

To be honest, there are a lot of steering wheel kits that you can get, but I'm not sure what exactly the cheapest would be. Here are a few, you can feel free to browse around:

http://performance.accuratetechnolog...products_id=90

http://www.optionimports.com/accessories4.html

http://store.titanmotorsports.com/stwhsp.html <---that doesn't have a complete kit, but I'm sure if you search it you can find something.

I say if you still can't find it, do a little search here and see what you can pull up, if not ask someone who knows a little bit more about it than I do (or someone who actually has one!)

I found this thread, I don't know if it'll help you or not though.

http://www.club240.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26292
Old 11-04-2007, 08:30 AM

thnk you very much