Audio, Video and Security Stereos, Subs, In-Dash Tv's and alarms

head unit wiring issue - no power + antenna stuck up

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 11:36 AM

head unit wiring issue - no power + antenna stuck up

after finally getting all my speakers wired up (which i will post later how i did it as i had a lot of trouble) the head unit won't turn on. it gets no power at all..buttons do nothing on the front.

before i go through the same old troubleshooting routine of checking every wire at every spot i was wondering if you guys had any insight.

the head unit was working fine until yesterday when i was messing around under the passenger side dash. its possible i may have hit some wire with the coathanger but i really have no idea.

the other thing is my head unit has been hanging out of my dash for a week now - its possible some wire was pulled out. if that is the case i will eventually find it.

the reason i'm posting here is because i thought you guys might be able to narrow it down to a location or wire due to the fact the power antenna is stuck in the up position. it is always up after this issue - car on or off.

i know there are certain issues relating to the power antenna on 240's regarding adapters/harnesses. could this be a signal of a specific wire to help narrow down where to look?

thanks again for your help guys.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:01 PM

if it was a problem with the antenna then the head unit would still turn on. i dont have an antenna at all. just a wire coming out of the back of the head unit. just read out all the wires on the back make sure everyhting is getting power
Old 06-28-2007, 12:27 PM
Contributing Member

Check fuses.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:19 PM

"read out" all the wires?

ill start with the fuses first considering thats the easiest and out of the few possible solutions i have probably the most likely.

ill post what it is when i figure it out. thanks.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:30 AM

most aftermarket head units wont turn on unless the antena wire is plugged into the back. make sur eyours didnt pop out.

but i would say that a combination of fishing with hangers under the dash as if you were trying to abort the heatercore and a dangling radio could *possibly* contribute to your problem... but thats just me.
Old 06-29-2007, 04:57 PM
Contributing Member

check the fuse on the back of the head unit.
Old 06-30-2007, 06:53 PM

so after playing around with it for a bit i haven't made any progress and i have no idea what to do now.

there was one fuse behind the head unit in the jumble of wires which checked out ok. i also checked the fuse near the pedals that was labeled for the radio. i think that covers all the fuses i can check?

as of now i really am stuck. i guess the best options are to start tracing the power wires and finding out where there is power and where there is not? what can i do from here? ANY help at all is really appreciated as my car is in pieces and my head unit is hanging out and totally useless. thanks for all the help.
Old 06-30-2007, 07:28 PM
Contributing Member

Don't mean to thread jack but I installed a power antenna motor a couple of weeks ago but I have no head unit or speakers but my antenna has extended all the way up. Anyone know how I can get it to go back in. I don't want to push it in with my hands because I don't want to bust anything. I just want to get it back down so I can pull the radio fuse until I get a headunit installed.
Old 06-30-2007, 09:35 PM
Contributing Member

on thing i notice with some units is you have to combine both the 12v ign and 12v constant to make it work.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:17 AM
Contributing Member

The radio fuse may be okay but theres another one to check, I think it's the dome light fuse. I could be mistaken, and I think if that were the case you'd have other symptoms, but it couldnt hurt to check. When I blew that fuse my radio and seatbelts wouldnt work properly.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:01 PM

so i used a test light - the constant wire (yellow out of the back of my aftermarket head unit - pioneer avh-5700) is getting power but the switch/ignition wire (red out of head unit - turns into s13 stock blue wire) isn't getting anything. i haven't had a chance to check but before i dive in there tomorrow does anyone know where this wire runs through and ends? it goes into a wire cover behind the unit then disappears. i want to be able to check it at different points in the wire.

thanks again.
Old 07-15-2007, 07:32 PM

Make sure you have a good ground
Old 07-15-2007, 10:26 PM
Contributing Member

Holy crap. I just put a head unit in my friend's Plymouth Sundace today and had the EXACT same problem. The fuse that controls the 12v ignition was blown. The constant still had power.
Old 07-15-2007, 10:57 PM

i haven't had a chance to post my update, but i figured it out. i got the FSM out and found that the ignition/switch wire had a fuse in it. it was the fuse box near your pedals and it was the left column - 4th from the bottom. it was a red 10 amp fuse which was blown. this may help anyone else when troubleshooting. if you have any problems get a FSM (factory service manual - do a search on the forum) to find out where the wires go to check all the fuses - it will save you a big headache.

thanks for all the help.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:25 PM
Contributing Member

Duuuude, please whatever you do--DO NOT use a test light to check for voltage. There are other things you can use now like METERS that will be able to tell you, and you can get them for real cheap.

If I were you, I'd meter all the wires, check which one's aren't getting what, and go from there. Easiest way. That way you'll be able to find out if it's a bad fuse or what.

Quick Reply: head unit wiring issue - no power + antenna stuck up