Audio, Video and Security Stereos, Subs, In-Dash Tv's and alarms

How to Test for Stable Headunit Power?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 02:13 PM

How to Test for Stable Headunit Power?

Okay, kind of a basic question, so I searched first but didn't find my answer.

Some of my instrument lights (gauges, auto shifter) are out, and that is high on my list of things to fix, but I am probably not going to be able to do that before drivng 4 hours to go to my brother's graduation next weekend. No problem, I'll just stick to daylight hours.

But my car also came to me without a radio/cd player, and I definitely don't want to be spending 8 hours on the road with only the engine and wind to listen to. It'll numb my mind.

I can borrow a multimeter, no problem, but I haven't done any electrical testing before. What wires do I want to check for what voltages, to make sure that if I buy a new mp3cd player, it will be getting the proper power?
Old 05-06-2005, 07:28 PM

i'd say check fuses first, and when you check you should pull them out just to be sure. your manual might tell you what's where, or the fuse box covers. i know i had a bad ground on my radio so i had to rerun that.

my ac/heating guages are out, i don't know if they're supposed to light up or not, but i saw them light up ONCE. i think that might be a bad ground too that i haven't fixed yet.
Old 05-30-2005, 08:24 PM

O.K., if anyone has the same problem as shark then email me in regards to the stereo file. I got a file with some stuff that will help you out. Color codes and what not. Of course keep the wire config or diagram from the stereo or mp3 player you want to install and go off the file I have. Oh, it's 12V to your stereo dude. Ground is not the same as negative, alot of people get that confused. Find out about basic electronics as far as what the symbols mean. Peace out!
Old 05-30-2005, 08:29 PM

Oh I forgot one more thing. Constant voltage can be measured with a multimeter yes! You want to check Current as well. But first start off by testing the live wire when the car off. Then start the car, then turn on your headlights, then A/C. What you're looking for is a drop in voltage. 1/2- 2V drop is ok but some stereos can go up to 3 volts off. Thats were current comes in. But test your battery and see if that has the juice you need!
Old 05-31-2005, 05:30 PM

hey, those instrument lights could be the bulbs themselves... your car is 16 years old, some lights don't last that long. you'd have to take out your instrument panel. i haven't dont that yet so that's as far as i can say. on other cars there are bulb holders, so you might get lucky and just twist them out after pulling the cluster out.