Audio, Video and Security Stereos, Subs, In-Dash Tv's and alarms

issues bypassing front amp 93 s13

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 08:43 PM

issues bypassing front amp 93 s13

hey guys

i was recently given a set of component speakers for the front of my s13. after pulling apart everything and hooking up the wires to test i ran into a problem. the drivers side speaker is getting some power but isnt hitting hard like the other side is. the input wire from the back of the head unit appears to be the issue. i troubleshooted it and its not either speaker, crossover unit, or tweeter. they all work fine on their own.

after reading a bit on here i decided to bypass the amp and go directly from the head unit into the crossover to see if that was the problem. no luck with that either. so i followed it up to the back of my head unit (pioneer AVH-P5700 in-dash dvd player 50x4).

i'm not too good with wiring which is why i'm here. the blue/white and blue/yellow wires run into a harness that connects into the head unit. between the harness and the head unit the wire is spliced and appears to go from a 16 gauge to a 14 gauge - but what the hell do i know, thats what it said on the connector where the splice was. then that wire runs into the back of the unit.

my questions are:

1. if i want to test it again closer to the unit and cut the wire where is the best point to do this from?
2. i saw some people suggest running your own wires...should i just go for this and cut the wire closest to the head unit and wire it from there?
3. what gauge wire and what brand should i pick up? i tried a bit of searching but its hard to narrow it down to that given gauge is such a common word.

if the answer to number 2 is yes. how do i know it will work after i run the wire? i'd like to at least test it at some point so i know i can at least splice it at a good point.

pics below - starting from door speaker running up to the back of the head unit - thanks in advance for the help!

Old 06-16-2007, 08:04 AM
Contributing Member

damn man i have the info Archived on my harddrive somewhere, i have to find it....

edit,
i Pmed you the link

Last edited by Biggamehit; 06-16-2007 at 08:09 AM.
Old 06-16-2007, 02:57 PM

i appreciate the help...unfortunately that diagram is for an s14. however, it does clear up a previous post that i had some questions about that are now answered.

i cut into the wires directly coming out of the back of the unit and hooked it directly into the speaker but my speaker is still not hitting the way it should! i really hope its not the head unit but it seems to be the only option at this point. any thoughts?