Audio, Video and Security Stereos, Subs, In-Dash Tv's and alarms

Question on Custom Sub Boxes - Ported or Sealed

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 05:52 AM

Question on Custom Sub Boxes - Ported or Sealed

Whats up guys?!
I was thinking and i cant figure out whats better for me to get. .

A) A Single Ported Sub Box
. . . . . . OR
B) A Single Sealed Sub Box

Can anyone please tell me what exactly is the difference in sound and whatever else there is to know. Please let me know everything you know about this, because i want to make up my mind on one but i still cant. Thanks
Old 06-09-2006, 08:16 AM

well considering you have a 240, i say go sealed. with a single sealed you won't need as much airspace for the sub. ported boxes require more volume. as far as the difference in sound, ported boxes will be more boomy and will get louder (thus competition go-ers have ported boxes often times), while a sealed box is going to deliver a more punchy bass and is usually preferred for SQ systems.
Old 06-09-2006, 09:32 PM

Thumbs up

Originally posted by Mika
well considering you have a 240, i say go sealed. with a single sealed you won't need as much airspace for the sub. ported boxes require more volume. as far as the difference in sound, ported boxes will be more boomy and will get louder (thus competition go-ers have ported boxes often times), while a sealed box is going to deliver a more punchy bass and is usually preferred for SQ systems.
the only thing true is that ported boxes most times require bigger boxes.

its all really going to depend on the sub of choice. but generally speaking sealed boxed have a flatter responce and will play all sub bass frequencies more evenly. as where a ported box has a peak (Hz) where it is tuned to and it will play around and above that area in the frequency range with more emphasis. the port kinda acts as a second sub in the frequency range that it is tuned to. you have to under stand that the port is not just a hole cut in the box. box volume and port size and length have everything to so with tuning frequency.

sealed boxes will get deeper in sound the bigger they are and play tighter and punchier if the box is smaller.

for more info on sub boxes go to site like jlaudio.com or kicker.com or rockfordfosgate.com and look in through the site for tutorials. or try looking around http://forum.sounddomain.com/ubb/ult...ubb=forum;f=11

if you tell me what kind of sound system your looking for or what your goals are for your sound system or if you have a sub already in mind or a price range ill be glad to help with the rest.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:39 PM

i should take pics of mine. i made an L shape to fit in the space right behind the rear seats. 2 12" sealed, but no trunk when i get time i plan to try and design something better, but i got it down probably within the square inch, pretty sweeeet.