Audio, Video and Security Stereos, Subs, In-Dash Tv's and alarms

removing stock stereo

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 08:24 AM

removing stock stereo

anyone happen to have any instructions for this? and will any new headunit fit in there or will i have to buy some type of adapter kit?

thanks
Old 06-16-2005, 07:07 PM

it fits with most cd players..but u may not beable to put the thing on the outside of teh cd player ..the thing that goes on teh outside of the cd player...its cheaper to not get the kit thing..u dont really need it..pece bro
Old 06-16-2005, 11:08 PM

hey illipse, no you don't have to buy a mounting kit! Just the same size will fit, except you might have to cut the stock connector off and use the one the cd or whatever player it is to connect. It's quite simple E-mail me and I'll be able to send you a how to and wiring diagram if you want.
Old 06-17-2005, 03:37 AM
Contributing Member

to do this right you do not need a kit but you should use a wiring harness and you will need an antena adaptor... what you will do is remove the stock radio by first pulling off the trim piece that goes around the radio and shifter...you will see the radio and a set of brackets behind the trim piece... remoce the screws that are holding in the radio brackets... once you have them removed pull on the radio... it will come out a good distance... disconnect the harness that is plugged into the radio as well as the antena that is plugged into the radio as well...

your car requires that the radio be mountred in a way that is called iso mounnt... which means you screw the radio into the factory brackets... on each side of the stock radio you will see 2 small screws holding it in place... remove the screws and set the stock radio aside... now look at your new radio... it will have holes in the side of them... match up the holes in the bracket and the radio and put the screws from the side of the stock radio into the bracket and screw them into the new radio... do this on both sides and test fit the radio back into place... put the trim piece back into place and see if the radio sits flush with the trim piece... once you have it mounted right it will be flat with te trim piece...

next is to connect the wire haness that you bought to the radio harness... match up colors and it will all be good... you will notice there is no ground wire in the harness like there is in your radio harness... attach the ground wire to a rgound point behind the dash...

plug in your antena adaptor and plug that into the back of the stereo... put the radio in place and turn it on... everything should work just fine...

put everything back in place and you are set to go...

this is not the only way to do it but it is the right way to install a stereo in our cars.. to get the harness and the antena adaptor go to best buy or any car audio shop to get them... then you will have everything you need to do the install the right way...
Old 06-17-2005, 07:45 AM

Good call wikd, what he said.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:26 AM

Originally posted by wikd240
to do this right you do not need a kit but you should use a wiring harness and you will need an antena adaptor... what you will do is remove the stock radio by first pulling off the trim piece that goes around the radio and shifter...you will see the radio and a set of brackets behind the trim piece... remoce the screws that are holding in the radio brackets... once you have them removed pull on the radio... it will come out a good distance... disconnect the harness that is plugged into the radio as well as the antena that is plugged into the radio as well...

your car requires that the radio be mountred in a way that is called iso mounnt... which means you screw the radio into the factory brackets... on each side of the stock radio you will see 2 small screws holding it in place... remove the screws and set the stock radio aside... now look at your new radio... it will have holes in the side of them... match up the holes in the bracket and the radio and put the screws from the side of the stock radio into the bracket and screw them into the new radio... do this on both sides and test fit the radio back into place... put the trim piece back into place and see if the radio sits flush with the trim piece... once you have it mounted right it will be flat with te trim piece...

next is to connect the wire haness that you bought to the radio harness... match up colors and it will all be good... you will notice there is no ground wire in the harness like there is in your radio harness... attach the ground wire to a rgound point behind the dash...

plug in your antena adaptor and plug that into the back of the stereo... put the radio in place and turn it on... everything should work just fine...

put everything back in place and you are set to go...

this is not the only way to do it but it is the right way to install a stereo in our cars.. to get the harness and the antena adaptor go to best buy or any car audio shop to get them... then you will have everything you need to do the install the right way...

quick question bout somethin i dont understand, why do i need to buy a new harness and antenna, how come i just cant reconnect the old ones?

thanks
Old 06-17-2005, 09:02 AM

I'll answer that! Well, you see, the connectors that are from car harness is well, stock. Later on, Car manufactures and car cd player or radios or whatever unit, created their own specifications for their head units, such as wiring configurations. If your gonna do it your self you could splice your own wires and attach them the harness/ connector on the new head unit. I got a nice pdf file that can help you out if you want it, email me for it.
Old 06-17-2005, 11:41 AM

Originally posted by ramnailz
I'll answer that! Well, you see, the connectors that are from car harness is well, stock. Later on, Car manufactures and car cd player or radios or whatever unit, created their own specifications for their head units, such as wiring configurations. If your gonna do it your self you could splice your own wires and attach them the harness/ connector on the new head unit. I got a nice pdf file that can help you out if you want it, email me for it.
aight word, you sent me the file, ill take a read. thanks
Old 06-17-2005, 12:21 PM
Contributing Member

Ground actually depends on the head unit. The factory ground is the antenna (a brown wire on the harness). So if your head unit will operate without a separate ground (thus preventing shorts and interference) don't hook up the head unit ground wire, tape it off. I did that on my old 240 and it worked fine. Granted, it was a Sony Xplod head unit (aka piece of sh*t) but it worked for me. I got interference when I used a separate ground.
Old 06-17-2005, 12:45 PM

hey ram, you're talking about splicing into an aftermarket connector, RIGHT??

if not : NEVER CUT STOCK. the main reason is because if you need to change in the future, it could be a pain in the butt, plus, no room to work with. and it's a retarded idea when you could buy a harness for $15.
Old 06-17-2005, 02:04 PM

word...I'm going to attempt to install my alpine CDA-7893 in my 240 today, I bought a wiring harness, but not an atenna adaptor. I dont need a radio anyways...but as for the groud, how do I connect it to a point behind the dash? Errrr I guess, wheres a good place to connect it to?
Old 06-17-2005, 02:29 PM

Well, you could, but I had no luck looking for a "conversion" to the new harness. This is how i looked at it, I needed a stereo because mine was f-d as $hit and I wanted a cd-player for now. I don't want to get a whole new blown out system. IF I DID, I would REWIRE the whole wiring to some better quality stuff. You get better sound, also depends on what your gonna run. Also, if your gonna do it yourself, DO NOT CONFUSE GROUND and NEGATIVE! People get this stuff confused! Ground is ground is ground. As far as not cutting, do what you want.

Joel, I grounded mine by the shifter ( or e-brake?) , I unscrewed a screw and wrapped it around and screwed it down. Ground is for a safety precaution for your head unit.
Old 06-18-2005, 12:52 PM

another question:

the stereo im tryin to put in was already installed on my older car, do you think it has the proper harness and everything already?
Old 06-19-2005, 04:57 AM
Contributing Member

the harness is vehicle specific... unless it came from a nissan as well... around the same year... nissan has 2 style of plugs they used... get the one for your year of car and it will all be good...

Preston as far as grounding through the antenna... this is a bad idea on high power stereos of today... it works for stock where max output was 15 watts... this can lead (notice i said can ) lead to head unit failure due to voltage problems... or it can result in what is known as a ground loop... the funny nise you get through your amps that whines with the speed of the alternator... i would advise anyone who is installing a high power head unit to ground the radio to some part of metal under the dash...

i used to install car audio and owned my own shop... i dont say this to bost but i say this so that you might take advise from someone who has done audio work for 14 years... it is never a good idea to cut the factory wires... if you ever want to sell the car it makes for headaches... or if you ever want to install another head unit it makes it easier to wire it up with a harness... match color to color... and the plugs are made by people who have done the hard work for you... the testing of all the wires... in nissans it is not a big problem... the wires are all for audio systems only... but take some hinda civics that have keyless entry systems... the radio actually controlls the keyless entry system and te dome light... or even on certain vw makes... installing a stereo will fry the dealerships consult tools... mindless cutting and hacking of wires under the dash is not needed in these days... you would not hack your power mods why hack the electrical system in the car???
Old 06-27-2005, 05:22 PM

one other things, like an idiot i broke the area around the stereo cus i didnt realize there were 2 screws coming from the backside.

anyways how the hell do you get to those, it seems like youd have to take off the whole side panel or crawl back there with a long *** screwdriver.

thanks

Quick Reply: removing stock stereo