Audio, Video and Security Stereos, Subs, In-Dash Tv's and alarms

Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2002, 06:46 PM

Stereo

I am going to replace the stock cd player with all Kenwood audio components, and add some subs. I heard that if you have too more than like one 10 then the watts from the amp will blow the stock speakers. Do i really have to replace them. I am thinking about these Kenwood dual 10 inch subs in a ported bandpass box but i dont know if that is too much bass. I also want to be able to turn the sub volume up and down. How can i do that. I am just afraid of having too much bass. I dont drive in an Impala so i dont want my bass to sound like i do. Bass sounds good to any type of music. I dont listen to that much rap. If i dont listen to rap do i need that much bass. The guy at Electronics Express has no idea what i am talking about. Someone help me....
Old 06-30-2002, 12:53 AM

Re: Stereo

Originally posted by KingJimmyJones
The guy at Electronics Express has no idea what i am talking about.
That makes 2 of us
Old 06-30-2002, 11:27 AM
Ex-Mod :)

Well, IMO, I wouldn't need anything above a good 10 inch sub, thats just my taste, I don't need too much bass, but you could be different.

Anyways, with getting a sub, I'd recommend getting new speakers anyways, and possibly putting a small amp on them as well. The quality will be higher, and they shouldn't blow. With the sub, most subs now come with a bass control **** that is completely separate from the stereo, so you could use that to turn the bass up and down. Also, if you get a decent head unit as well, most have a built in equalizer that should give you more control over the sound.

Here's a pic of my brother's bass **** in his car(next to jack ball):

Old 06-30-2002, 04:33 PM

Re: Stereo

Originally posted by KingJimmyJones
i heard that if you have too more than like one 10 then the watts from the amp will blow the stock speakers.

your stock speakers aren't connected to the amp...just the subs are (unless you wanna replace ur stock speakers than it would be reccomended you get an amp (4 channel) for them )

I am thinking about these Kenwood dual 10 inch subs in a ported bandpass box but i dont know if that is too much bass.
its not
I also want to be able to turn the sub volume up and down. How can i do that.
get a good head unit

Old 07-02-2002, 01:27 AM

imo there is no such thing as too much base, however i listen to all gener of music. I have happend to squeeze in 2 12"MTX subs in a homemade sealed box into the back of my 240hatchback. I have a Kenwood KAC-923 amp just to the subs, along with a Alpine 2002 180watt headunit. It makes you forget where you are and helps everyone else pinpoint you. Eventhough i only have 270 wats per speaker with one cap, it sounds like a ton more.

Last edited by subsound; 07-02-2002 at 01:29 AM.
Old 07-11-2002, 01:04 PM
Contributing Member

KingJimmyJones

it would help this forum if you checked back at our responces and responded yourself....and if neccassary thanked the people that helped you, or (in your case) try to be more specific as to what your asking
Old 07-11-2002, 06:47 PM

Let me offer a little advice about your car audio woes.

First, I'll talk about subwoofers and how you can best select whats right for you.

No matter what kind of music you listen too, bass makes it sound better. Artist and studio engineers don't put in low frequencies just so you can ignore them. But an improperly tuned 12v sound system can make you wish you never purchased an artist CD (or downloaded it for that matter). In my experience, I've found that a sealed box combined with a high power amplifier produced the most accurate and best sounding bass reproduction no matter what the subwoofers size. This held true in all manner of vehicle from Ford Excursions to Honda Civics. The theory is simple. Subwoofers reproduce sound by moving air, if the subwoofer continues to move after the proper frequency has been achieved then sound quality is adversly affected. High powered amplifiers have the power to control a subwoofers movement therefore eliminating most sound quality degradation. Don't get me wrong, when I say high powered amplifier I mean one that can comfortably handle the subwoofer load, not a 3 Gazillion Watt monster that requires you adding 9 additional batteries to your cars electrical system. That said, let me pause a moment to dispel a misconception about amp power and "blowing" a subwoofer.

It takes an incredible amount of power to blow a building up.
So when people say they blew a subwoofer they assume its because of the incredible about of power unleashed upon their subwoofers by the 50 Watt amplifier bolted under the passenger seat. Get it? Subwoofers are rarely ruined because of high watt amplifiers. It's the low power amp's who are guilty of blowing you're precious subwoofers. Speakers are like a weight, and amplifiers are like weight lifters. If a lifters bench press limit is 300 lbs. and she tries to lift 500lbs. then shes in trouble. She may get it up but she wont be able to control it on the way back down. Same thing with the amplifier. An underpowered amp may get the speaker up, but its gonna come back down, hard. Enough of this and the speakers spider breaks and then the voice coil bends and then... you get the picture. While this isn't the only way to blow a speaker it is, in my experience, the most common.

High output amp's are much like high output motors (sr20det mmmmmm) they ain't cheap. But if you want a tight, crisp, solid sounding bass coming from the rear of your car, theres no better option than a sealed box coupled with a high output amplifier.

A more cost friendly option is a ported or bandpass box and a less powerful amplifier. You will lose sound quality but you save quite a bit of dough. These style boxes are tuned to a specific frequency range and are often used in SPL competitions because of their tendencies to be loud and very effecient with amp power.

One more thing on sound systems and performance cars and I'll move on. Weight = Bad. You figure the rest out. I've put together a light weight and awesome sounding sound system for my car and I'll go over it a little later.

If you want to be able to control the bass volume separately from the overall volume you'll need a head unit with sub pre outs as well as front and rear pre-outs.

I'll continue Audio Theory with anyone who wants to learn more. Just email me. mikepolite@msn.com

btw fanatic, thats not a "bass ***" its a gain control. As gain in a amplifier goes up it takes output with it. Only bad thing is that when the amp goes over its optimal output levels (like when you turn the gain control ***) it adds distortion to the mix. Ahhhh distortion.... a wonderful way to blow subwoofers.

Last edited by Sequel; 07-11-2002 at 07:00 PM.
Old 07-11-2002, 06:59 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Sequel

I'll continue Audio Theory with anyone who wants to learn more. Just email me. mikepolite@msn.com
what the hell is wrong with you? just keep spouting out information without us having to e-mail you...too lazy to e-mail

btw....thats one strong lady
Old 07-11-2002, 07:00 PM
Contributing Member

that wasn't meant to be rude or nothing ilke that...so dont take it as that
Old 07-11-2002, 07:03 PM

stopped typing... simpsons on... dont email me... will spew info later...
Old 07-11-2002, 07:06 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Sequel
stopped typing... simpsons on... dont email me... will spew info later...
lol
Old 07-27-2002, 05:55 AM
Contributing Member

Post more info dude I was liking that!

I don't really like systems but I would like one for my Astro van when I get it. I really know nothing about stereo systems 'cept I got a *****ing Pioneer headunit that plays my MP3s.

All I know is that I heard my friends system with a loner sealed box with one w7 12" (i think that was the size) and it cranked. I would like a box like that.

He was running two amps. One for the box and the other for his mids.
Old 08-01-2002, 06:26 AM
Contributing Member

Those W7s kick *** man. They say there they equivalent of 3 10" subs. But that's why they cost that much. But u definitely need a big amp to run that.
Old 08-01-2002, 09:57 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Import Fanatix
Those W7s kick *** man. They say there they equivalent of 3 10" subs. But that's why they cost that much. But u definitely need a big amp to run that.
oh hell nah...the W 7's are a lot better than 3 10's
lol

and its my understanding that you dont need that much more power to run them, cause they are VERY efficent
Old 08-01-2002, 05:28 PM
Contributing Member

I would like a little bazooka that I could swap between the civic and the 240. It would be real nice in the civic seeing that the stereo works in there.

The 240 is a whole other problem. I have two speakers working in there and they suck.

Any cheapo advice. I think I might try to shove the speakers I have left over from my 240dl in the 240sx.

Quick Reply: Stereo