Audio, Video and Security Stereos, Subs, In-Dash Tv's and alarms

viper alarm system question

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 09:27 PM

viper alarm system question

I've never owned a car with an alarm system neither have any friends i've talked to so i need some help.

When i first bought my 240 (my second one) i found some switches under the dash and had no idea what they were for but didn't touch them, i also kicked this like clear box thing that was attached to the steering column under the dash, a magnet or something fell off along with different resistors and capacitors and junk.

I recently took out my dash to swap the speedo and found a black box with viper alarm systems written on it and all those wires and those switches and the box were attached.

So what i was wondering was, what is this box? can i replace/fix it? and how much to get the alarm system wired back up and keyless entry and all that? ballpark would be ok. just want to know if its worth hooking up or i'd rather sell it.
Old 10-27-2007, 09:41 PM
Contributing Member

Pull a model number off it and see if you can get a manual for it. You will probably need remotes, if you can get them programmed to match the brain. If not you'll need a new brain. The two boxes coming out of it are probably a shock sensor and a proximity sensor.

Last edited by ryguy; 10-27-2007 at 09:43 PM.
Old 10-27-2007, 09:47 PM

yeah, i'll probably just bring it to one of the shops in town. i'm sure they could quote me on what i'd need to get. i think i know enough about alarms not to get screwed over.
Old 10-27-2007, 09:48 PM
Contributing Member

that "magnet or something" sounds like a fuel cut off device. rys got a good idea, but if you can't find the information you need i'd just find all the alarm wires, disconnect them and get a new alarm.
Old 10-27-2007, 09:48 PM
Contributing Member

Call or email Viper or something first. Taking your car to a shop to have an alarm put in is like asking for it to be stolen.... I distrust alarm shops.
Old 10-27-2007, 09:58 PM

well they're like a pimp my ride shop. they do tons of custom stuff, yeah i know what you mean, some shops are pretty shady. i'll just have them quote it and stuff anyway. if i have to buy a new system then no way. i don't have any subs or anything like that anyway. anyway the magnet was just like a magnet for a switch, you know like it had rubber around it and one open face and then it could attract to the other part and close a circuit or not close the circuit, thats what it looked like to me anyway
Old 10-27-2007, 09:59 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ryguy
Call or email Viper or something first. Taking your car to a shop to have an alarm put in is like asking for it to be stolen.... I distrust alarm shops.
you and me ry.

actually i don't trust anyone to work on my cars.

a shop will sell you a $200 alarm for $350 (or so) and install it for free or sell it for $200 plus another $200 to install. i say buy a $150 alarm and install it yourself it's not hard at all.
Old 10-27-2007, 10:08 PM

well i had no clue about alarms, i'm sure i could, but still. compared to a motor swap? i did the wiring harness on my buddy's swap from NA 13B rx7 to jspec turbo 13B. i don't know, i'll just climb under tommorow. So where could i get that new box, do you know if viper sells those separate?
Old 10-27-2007, 10:49 PM
Contributing Member

Yes, Viper sells them separate. The other boxes are add ons to it.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:35 AM

ok cool. i'll crawl under today and check out the model and stuff