Audio, Video and Security Stereos, Subs, In-Dash Tv's and alarms

What kind of alarm should I get?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 08:52 PM

What kind of alarm should I get?

I need an alarm and I was wondering what kind should I get? Viper or clifford? What model?? Any sites, links?
Old 12-11-2007, 10:14 PM

www.directed.com , you will see that both Viper and Clifford are owned by the same company, as are a bunch of other brands. I'd get one with a two-way receiver, so if your car alarm goes off and you are within a certain distance, the remote will alert you so you can go and kick a thief's ***!
Old 12-14-2007, 12:34 PM
Contributing Member

I know that Directed actually has a newer line of 2-way paging systems that are about 1 mile radius. Honestly, any of the directed products with a shock sensor, tilt sensor, siren, and keyless entry would be a decent system. The thing about vehicle security though is that you want it in layers, rather than crossing your fingers and relying on a single unit to do the job.

Furthermore, your alarm is only as good as the installation itself, so be careful when choosing who installs it, or if you install it yourself, make sure that you hide the brain carefully as well as the wires and sirens.

Good luck and let us know if you have any other questions. :]
Old 12-15-2007, 11:37 PM

if your putting money into an alarm I would go either with nothing and just lock your doors or do a little extra and possibly get a kill switch only you can turn on, take your wheel with you, get multiple alarm horns and all the basics
Old 12-16-2007, 08:57 AM

^^^you must not live in california. I happen to live in Stockton California, the capitol of auto theft. Out here when they install alarms they switch all the wires colors to confuse the thieves because most thieves were once audio/alarm installers.
Old 12-16-2007, 10:45 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by energy0uth
if your putting money into an alarm I would go either with nothing and just lock your doors or do a little extra and possibly get a kill switch only you can turn on, take your wheel with you, get multiple alarm horns and all the basics
Now that's just silly. Any alarm at all is way better than no alarm.

Or you could move to Japan where you could leave the car running and unlocked with the windows rolled down in a dark alley and come back in an hour and it would still be there.
Old 12-16-2007, 12:32 PM

^^^I love japan!
Old 12-16-2007, 03:26 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ryguy

Or you could move to Japan where you could leave the car running and unlocked with the windows rolled down in a dark alley and come back in an hour and it would still be there.
i've left the windows down over night with the keys in the ignition with the car parked in the street on more than one occasion.

but yeah any alarm is better than no alarm. i've installed about 6 alarms on my cars and friends cars and they've ranged in price from $50-$200. for the most part they all do the same thing but the more expensive do it better. that's not to say the more it costs the the better it is. some alarms have features that you might not want or need.

just get something cheap and makes a lot of noise then get a gun with the left over money.
Old 12-16-2007, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by bucket240
^^^you must not live in california. I happen to live in Stockton California, the capitol of auto theft. Out here when they install alarms they switch all the wires colors to confuse the thieves because most thieves were once audio/alarm installers.
MD...thats a great idea with the wires

Originally Posted by ryguy

Many of my friends have had alarms and done them no good. The only ones I know who have had success are the kill switches and one friend who had i think 5 horns placed around the car. Personally I do like a lil safety but it just didn't seem to be working around here.
Old 12-17-2007, 11:44 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by energy0uth
MD...thats a great idea with the wires

Many of my friends have had alarms and done them no good. The only ones I know who have had success are the kill switches and one friend who had i think 5 horns placed around the car. Personally I do like a lil safety but it just didn't seem to be working around here.
To be honest with you, if a thief wants your car, he'll get your car. They can hot wire it, get a duplicate key, or even flatbed it. There really is no 100% security system, but to say that an extra layer of security won't help is absurd.

Like I said before, you want layers and layers of security to make it that much harder for your car to be stolen. Even if the thief damages your car out of frustration--at least he didn't take it.

Layers, guys! Layers!
Old 12-18-2007, 01:04 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Initial Daniel
To be honest with you, if a thief wants your car, he'll get your car. They can hot wire it, get a duplicate key, or even flatbed it. There really is no 100% security system
Lojack, hidden with a hidden battery.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:29 AM
Contributing Member

now a days no one pays much attention to an alarm going off and as stated thieve are good at what they do and some are very resourceful. bells and whistles are not gonna keep your car from being stolen not even a hidden battery or fuel cut off. in some cases the cars don't even get started, they are just towed away.

the only thing you can do is make it harder and more time consuming for the thieve to try to get away.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by jramosthe1st!
now a days no one pays much attention to an alarm going off and as stated thieve are good at what they do and some are very resourceful. bells and whistles are not gonna keep your car from being stolen not even a hidden battery or fuel cut off. in some cases the cars don't even get started, they are just towed away.

the only thing you can do is make it harder and more time consuming for the thieve to try to get away.
yea thats basically what I am thinking or trying to say and i agree on the layers
Old 12-20-2007, 01:30 PM

im gonna install motion sensors around the car with 180 decibel sirens and sleep with a .50 cal sniper rifle
Old 12-20-2007, 09:04 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by MiaS13
im gonna install motion sensors around the car with 180 decibel sirens and sleep with a .50 cal sniper rifle
I mean nowadays, I think it's pretty much come to that. I think movies like "Gone in 60 Seconds" is kind of like "Fast and the Furious" for thieves. Haha. It's just gone way out of control.

The only problem I have with LoJack is that your local police department has to have the equipment in order to find the vehicle. Even if they do, when you say "My car has been stolen", they fill out the paperwork and most of the time put it at the bottom of the to-do list.

I think a better alternative is accutracking.

Quick Reply: What kind of alarm should I get?