Audio, Video and Security Stereos, Subs, In-Dash Tv's and alarms

whats a good battery??

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2003, 04:33 PM

Lightbulb whats a good battery??

i am just curious what a good "performance" battery would be....

for a high powered stereo system and for performance of the engine on quarter mile runs.
Old 10-17-2003, 08:46 PM

good battery for 1/4 mile runs and car performance would be a:
Odyssey PC680 its a tiny battery 3"tall only weighs 15lbs (stock battery weighs in at about 30ish lbs). it will basicly power your car and all nessecary items for going fast.
sorry dont have more info on the above battery.

as for system and performance:
Optima yellow top D34/78 priceabout $160, link
specs i found:
If you're like most people, you probably listen to your car audio system for extended periods with the engine off. Why worry about draining the battery and compromising your starts? Get the famous "Yellow Top" Optima battery. The D34/78 (formerly D750U) uses unique Spirelcell technology that gives the Yellow Top a life span that is two to three times longer than conventional batteries. The Yellow Top has the cranking power of a starter battery and the long life of a deep cycle. The Optima design results in extremely high power and very low internal resistance so you don't have to worry about capacity reduction at high current loads. Optima batteries are also the safest batteries on the market. They won't leak, spill, corrode, or emit fumes and can be mounted in any position - even sideways or upside down. The D34/78 comes with top-mount posts as well as side-mount (GM style) posts, and accepts top- or side-mount terminals (sold separately). Features 870 amp peak discharge current with 750 cold cranking amps (CCA).
Features

Peak Discharge (MCA) of 870 amps
Cold Cranking Output (CCA) of 750 amps
Reserve Capacity of 120 minutes @ 25 amps
Nominal (C/20) Capacity of 55 Ah
Ultra-Fast Recharge
Top- and Side-Mount Posts
Internal Resistance: 0.0028 ohms
Dimensions of 10" L x 6.8" W x 7.8" H (top of posts)

Shipping Weight: 45 lbs
Warranty: 2 years

the yellow top is used it TONS AND TONS of car audio applications.
so it is a very reliable battery.
hope that helps some.
Josh
Old 10-17-2003, 09:16 PM

i was told that the red top would be better because the yellow top has higher restriction or something...and it takes a little longer to get the power you are looking for?

is it normal to have 2 batteries in a car?

maybe a red top in the engine and a yellow hidden in the trunk...and attacted the yellow top to the engine so it gets charged too....?? is that possible?? is it necessary???

Old 10-17-2003, 09:35 PM

Its not normal to have two batteries in a car, but it is done alot, most of the times more than one are used when people have a large sound system set up. I've seen cars with alot more than two batteries before
Old 10-17-2003, 09:36 PM

yes

very very possible. more then likely not necessary. yellow top is a widely used battery for tons off applications. link to Optima's site

give me a run down of what it is you are wanting a better battery for (ex: type of system, amps, and whatever else you may be running) and i will do my best to help you find what you need.
Josh
Old 10-17-2003, 09:44 PM

yellow top or red top

straight from Optima's site:
17. When should I use a Deep Cycle OPTIMA as a Starting battery?
"Deep Cycle" batteries are designed for applications that require deep, repetitive amperage drain, like trolling motors, golf carts, and electric wheelchairs, or RV house power sources. However, there are other applications, called "Heavy Cycling" or "High Cycling", when a Deep Cycle OPTIMA can successfully replace a starting battery to provide longer life and better performance.
In heavy cycling or high cycling applications, a vehicle will pull unusually high amperage levels from the starting battery due to extra accessories or limited alternator capacity. Public safety professionals, such as police, fire, and ambulance fleet managers often find that traditional starting batteries cannot provide adequate life and performance due to heavy cycling. This is an excellent opportunity to provide your customer with longer life and better performance by using an OPTIMA Deep Cycle battery in this type of application.

In any vehicle or equipment that will use the battery only for Starting, Lighting, & Ignition requirements and has a properly working alternator, the OPTIMA Red Top Starting Battery will perform extremely well, often providing up to two to three times longer life than conventional batteries. If the vehicle has few or no after-market accessories and uses a stock or upgraded alternator, the OPTIMA Red Top Starting Battery is the appropriate choice.

Remember, it is possible for the customer to have a completely discharged Yellow Top OPTIMA that will not start their engine; the advantages of the Yellow Top are that it can accept a rapid recharge and it will recover from discharge many more times.

To provide the customer the best OPTIMA solution, it is, necessary to consider both the application and the charging system before recommending the correct OPTIMA. For example, if your customer has a Ford Expedition with an after-market alarm system, which OPTIMA would you recommend? If the customer drives the car every day, the Red Top would be the correct choice, since the amperage drain will be nominal and the battery would be recharged on a daily basis. However, if the customer stores the vehicle for a long period of time with the alarm system engaged, you should recommend the OPTIMA Yellow Top, since the amperage drain over several weeks would damage a Red Top and reduce its life.
Old 10-18-2003, 03:08 AM

guess whos gonna get a JL W7...?!??

i just cant decide whether i want a 10 or a 12....or two 10s...or two 12s....two 13's maybe??
Old 10-18-2003, 03:09 AM

oh...and how are our cars for stereo's with such high power??? do they take it well? or do they rattle like a biaaaatch??
Old 10-18-2003, 10:08 AM
Contributing Member

ive seen the optimas go for 90-110 around here, and that version goes for 130. 160 is a lil to much
Old 10-18-2003, 07:33 PM

well for starters there is almost no way to get two 12" or 13" W7's in the trunk of your car. unless you plan on getting rid of the rear seats. two tens easier but still tough.
and two any car with a powerfull sub is gonna rattle. it doesnt really matter what kind of car it is. it only matters how many loose things you have to vibrate. anything loose will rattle like a mother.
Just my $.02
Josh
Old 10-18-2003, 10:58 PM

my batttery is from japan so it must be good..pretty jdm if you ask me. arnold says f*** japan bats weak 9volt stuff, but i like german 15volt stock no turbo or anything
Old 10-19-2003, 05:23 AM

i havent looked in the trunk much yet....the trunk release inside the car is busted....its getting fixed on monday...as well as a couple other things for the certification..then i'm on the road!

man i really need to beat my friends t-bird...he has a t-bird...with a 3.8 i think...something like that...and he always seems to win or keep up with cars....he rapes my tempo....of course i ripped him apart with my 2000 impala ex-highway police car...ehehehehe but i am hoping i can take him with the 240....the 240 doesnt seem that fast tho.
Old 10-21-2003, 08:20 PM

it'll be tough. most t-birds are v8's i think. might have come with a v6 in them also. but your sitting there with a 4 and about 140ish hp im pretty sure but you do have a weight advantage.
i think you'd have to get him off the line to have a chance. and if you dont i think your prolly gonna lose.
Just my $.02
Josh
Old 10-21-2003, 08:27 PM

12 volt
Old 10-22-2003, 01:39 PM

Anything deep cycle thats charged right...

Best bet is a Gel-cell optima... Got a real long amp hour and they dont spill... they weigh alot.... but they're very good batteries..

I work for ACDelco in a battery warehouse, we refurbish batteries and all that and I get optimas all the time... REAL good battery, I juice em up on the chargers and get a nice 1300+ CCA out of them..

If anyone needs any optimas let me know... forget paying 130$ I'll give em to you for 30-50 bucks. The more the cheaper.

Quick Reply: whats a good battery??