Audio, Video and Security Stereos, Subs, In-Dash Tv's and alarms

will these speakers fit?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 01:41 PM

i guess i could install them onto the hatch........ i never heard of a 5x8... 5x7 yeah.

does a 6x9 speaker make a difference in the rear? say i desided just to swap an other 6.5 speaker in the rear. which one would give better sound? 6.5 or 6x9?
Old 04-19-2007, 06:24 PM
Contributing Member

Do you have subs? Do you have any means of separating the frontwave and backwave? What kinda sound are you looking for?

BTW ive put 6.5's in my hatch cargo cover before.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:27 PM

ill be puttin 1 10 alpine type R or 2 not sure if ill need 2. i found some 5x7s would those fit with little modification?
Old 04-19-2007, 09:45 PM
Contributing Member

I would still say no. Thats a tight fit back there to begin with, but just go out there with a tape measure man.
Old 04-20-2007, 03:28 PM
Contributing Member

I'll be honest with you. If you're going to get subs later, larger rear speakers won't make a big difference.

6x9's are put in factory cars to add a lot more depth to the music, bass wise. If you're building a system, 6.5 components would be your best bet, since you want your mids and highs to be as clear as possible. (They're also known as separates) The reason behind that is that you want each component to do a separate job. For example, a 4-way speaker is built to handle every single range of frequency, from your bass, your lows, mids, and highs. It can do them all; but not very efficiently.

In contrast, a component speaker separates your highs from your mids (thats why they come with crossovers), and they allow for a sub to handle bass, which gives you an overall better sound.

Ultimately, you want to build your system to suit your needs. You want to first determine what kind of sound you're looking for based on your musical preference. If it's more rock than hip-hop, I'd be more conservative with the size of the sub, as a smaller sub would give you more precise bass notes. If it's classical, I suggest just getting a 4-channel amp to power a set of components.

In regards to your question, a 5x7 or 6x8 speaker(roughly the same size) will fit with slight modification(You will probably have to cut your rear deck), but a 6x9 will probably need something more extensive.

Personally, I'd go with a 6.5, if thats what your car is able to fit, then go with 6.5 components in the front, all linked to a strong 4-channel amplifier, then a mono d-class amplifier for your subs (something that will be able to deliver enough power to the type-r(s)). That would sound fairly nice without breaking too much bank. You may not even need to go with a 4-channel amp, and just run it off the headunit.

If you have anymore questions let me know, I'll be glad to assist.

Hope this helped a little bit. Good luck!
Old 04-20-2007, 04:29 PM
Contributing Member

I would put them in the cargo hatch cover thing. Worked great for me, and with some nice grilles they look factory!
Old 04-20-2007, 04:38 PM
Contributing Member

Sorta ironic, today I was at the junk yard getting a new (used) alternator and the 240 I pulled it out of had two 6' speakers in the back, in the stock locations. The speaker covers wouldnt fit over them though and they were only able to be held in by one screw. Ghetto spekers FTL. Too bad I didnt have a camera.
Old 04-20-2007, 04:59 PM

good news sorta.... i took on the panels to see what i have to work with...
front im just going to get some 6.5 cause i have a template to make them fit. and strangly enough my rears already have 6.5s so ima swap those out with some type Rs but a different type i'll post both up so you guys can tell me what they mean and which would work better in the back/front set up then i'll post pics again im trying to make it look stock you the covers might just back on. then i'll get 1 12inch type R sub cause like the poster said i listen to hiphop/techno <-- weird combination i know. so it would be better to go with a bigger deeper sound
Old 04-20-2007, 10:57 PM
Contributing Member

hey soulstrong post up some pics of that rear speaker setup you got goin.
Old 04-21-2007, 12:15 AM
Contributing Member

Sounds good man! You know we expect to see pictures and the build up of your sound system! Haha! :P

Let us know if we can help out any more...
Old 04-21-2007, 12:23 AM
Contributing Member

I ain't even got no radio!
Old 04-21-2007, 05:10 AM

ok ill take a pic of whats already in there and now i need to deside which one will go in front.

Alpine Type-R SPR-17S
General
Speaker Size 6 3/4
Design 2-way
Tweeter Design 1" Ring-dome
Tweeter Composition Silk
Woofer Composition Hybrid-fiber pulp
Woofer Surround Rubber
Parts Warranty 1 Year
Labor Warranty 1 Year
Specifications
Sensitivity 87 dB
Frequency Response 65 - 27k Hz
RMS Power Range (Watts) 8-110
Peak Power Handling (Watts) 330
Impedance (Ohms) 4
Top-mount Depth (Inches) 2 3/8
Bottom-mount Depth (Inches) 2 5/8
Cutout Diameter or Length (inches) 5 5/16

Alpine SPR-17C
General
Design 2-way
Tweeter Design 1" Ring-dome
Tweeter Composition Silk
Woofer Composition Hybrid layered pulp
Woofer Surround Rubber
Parts Warranty 1 Year
Labor Warranty 1 Year
Specifications
Sensitivity 87 dB
Frequency Response 65 - 27k Hz
RMS Power Range (Watts) 2-100
Peak Power Handling (Watts) 300
Impedance (Ohms) 4
Top-mount Depth (Inches) 2 1/2
Bottom-mount Depth (Inches) N/A
Cutout Diameter or Length (inches) 5 3/8

now im just going to assume that the SPR-17Cs are supposed to go in fron since they offer lows and mids and the rear to handle the highs, which should be good until i find a good deal on a 12 inch type R sub, and then a AMP of wait... i remember my friend telling me something about a deal on 2 12 and a 1000 watt amp type R stuff for 600.... now to find out where that was... T_T
Old 04-21-2007, 07:44 AM
Contributing Member

two 12's in a 240 takes up a lot of space... you will most likely have to build a custom box for them. I want to get rid of my single 12. And remember, bass is gonna suck no matter what if the windows arent rolled down.

Last edited by ryguy; 04-21-2007 at 07:48 AM.
Old 04-21-2007, 07:47 AM
Contributing Member

damn people actually listen to the radio in 240s?
Old 04-21-2007, 07:49 AM
Contributing Member

No ruiz, theyre there for decoration. Actually sometimes I'm too lazy to put the faceplate back on so I just listen to the sounds of the engine. It's relaxing.

Quick Reply: will these speakers fit?