Audio, Video and Security Stereos, Subs, In-Dash Tv's and alarms

Would this be a good pair?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 02:40 PM
Contributing Member

Would this be a good pair?

Just browsing around....If I Run the dual voice coils in parellel with this Pioneer sub and hook it up to this Kenwood amp, you think it will sound good 800 watts RMS...Mmmmmm. Not to bad either....around 500 for the pair + box.
Old 08-02-2005, 03:36 AM
Contributing Member

if you run the wires in parallel the amp will see a one ohm load and most likley get hot and sut down... you need to remember that the amp will only see half of the actual ohm load... meaning that if you wire 2 4 ohm voice coils in parallel giving you a a 2 ohm load and then hooking that up to an amp the amp will only see half of the ohm load...

the reason for this is that it being a one channel amp all of the bridging has been done inside of the amp... it is still a 2 channel amp that has been bridged internally...
Old 08-02-2005, 05:27 AM

ummmmmm. try to stay away from pioneer amps... my boy had 3 of them.. 2 of them blew and they were not even running at thier max power...
Old 08-02-2005, 12:17 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by shotty53
ummmmmm. try to stay away from pioneer amps... my boy had 3 of them.. 2 of them blew and they were not even running at thier max power...
Thats a Kenwood amp....So Wikd...If I got a sub with 2 ohm DVC's and wire them up in a series...the amp would still see a 2 ohm load? Or because its a series is that different? Im leaning towards that sub, so what amp would you recomend to power it?

Last edited by Fast1One; 08-02-2005 at 12:20 PM.
Old 08-02-2005, 03:09 PM
Contributing Member

it's a mono amp.
Old 08-04-2005, 07:45 PM
Contributing Member

Okay, let me speak from MY personal experience.
First off, try to stay away from DVC's if you dont know what youre doing... ive blown 2 audiobahns like that... (i hate audiobahn anyway... they make crappy amps)... anyways, with my new Memphis 12's (which are phenominal) I have my ol' alpine 2 channel amp still hooked up. The subs are dvc's. I have each sub hooked up as an 8 ohm sub. Then, i have the wires spliced VIA a custom piece i had one of our machinists make. The wires go into my amp as a bridged mono channel, so it runs as a single 4 ohm sub. Bridging a 2 channel amp, from what i understand, reduces stress and helps pull more power out of it than as a 2 channel. When i had my old subs hooked up as 2 2 ohm subs, the amp got really hot, but never shut down (hooray for alpine amps!). Now, it doesnt get quite as hot, and still sounds awesome. I would recommend looking for an old school (mid to late 90's) alpine amp, which the high end are fan cooled like mine, and almost never shut off... hell i even had some wires come loose and short across the chassis of the amp, and it kept on chuggin along as soon as i hooked it back up right, and never even shut the car off. Wonderful amps if i do say so myself.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:36 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah the alpine amps look really good...Im just going to a proffesional when I do this lol....Ill install it and just ask him for advice...Do they charge for that? lol...
Old 08-05-2005, 05:36 AM

its easy to install yourself.

as for the ohms, the fewer ohms on your speakers, the more juice your amp can push out to power them. One problem though. You want a 2ohm load or 4, 1 is too low. And you must make sure that your amp can handle that low of a load. I wired my speakers in parallel form each speaker is runing at 2 ohms and then straight to my 2channel amp. Cheap amp off ebay for $106 shipped. Never shut off on me, ground was disconneceted and it still continued to play. Just shop around and read up
Old 08-05-2005, 10:17 AM
Contributing Member

if you wire the 2 2ohm dvc subs up in series it will be a 2 ohm load at the amp which will work... it will still get hot and might shut down after time but under normal listening preiods it should handle the power...

as far as asking a pro... um i think i qualify... as i did this for 14 years and owned 2 stereo shops in my time...

here is the funny thing about a mono or one channel amp that most people dont know... it is still a 2 channel amp that has had all of the bridging done inside of the amp... if you want serious power then get into high current amps... old ppi and old orion amps were the **** when it came to what we called cheater amps... rated at low power untill you dropped em down to 1 ohm and then they hammered... like an hcca 250 was rated at 50 watts per channel at 4 ohm... but put out 800 x 1 watts at one ohm...

when using a mono amp or when bridging an amp the amp will only see half of the ohm load that you present to it... the reason for this is that you use the positive from one channel and the negative from the other channel...each channel is only seeing half of what is really there... in choosing an amp the forst thing you have to take into account is the ohm load it is suggested to run at... even most mono amps are not designed to run at 1 ohm...

look for amps that are rated to run the ohm load you want to run... here is a good starting point...

i am biased towards orion when it comes to high current high wattage and low ohm load amps... they have never let me down when it came time to design a spl vehicle...

orion: http://www.orioncaraudio.com/amps/Dmono.asp
us amps: http://www.usamps.com/

these are a few of the high currant amps i have used to build record breaking spl vehicles... i lean mor towards orion but us amps have the ability to do the same thing... check em out read on em or get the alpine amp either way make sure what ever amp you get can handle the ohm load you are trying to run at...
Old 08-05-2005, 11:52 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks a lot Wikd.....Ill come to you for advice K? Ill probably go with alpine since Ive heard nothing but good things from them. Thanks for the help...