Drifting Like to go sideways? Check this forum out.

D1GP question...

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2004, 06:32 PM

D1GP question...

i tried the search but didn't find the answer to my question about the D1GP...so yeah here is my question...

how does the D1GP actually work? how does it get judged?

i haven't been to any of the D1GP events, the closest thing i have to being at a D1GP event is the videos on my computer hahaha
Old 03-18-2004, 09:06 PM
Contributing Member

http://d1gp.com/about_drift.html

That should help you out
Old 03-20-2004, 04:41 AM
Contributing Member

Re: D1GP question...

Originally posted by E Spin
i tried the search but didn't find the answer to my question about the D1GP...so yeah here is my question...

how does the D1GP actually work? how does it get judged?

i haven't been to any of the D1GP events, the closest thing i have to being at a D1GP event is the videos on my computer hahaha
well it's probably going to be only once a year, so if you plan on going to one, fly to Japan or come south to Irwindale early next year
Old 03-20-2004, 07:04 AM

early next year eh? hopefully i can go. i sorta doubt that because i'm not going to be living in ca. long, i'm moving to texas.

here's a link to an interview that super street had with the drift king. he talks about the D1, D2, and the different licenses super, a, b, & c.
http://www.superstreetonline.com/web/130_0402_keiichi/
Old 03-20-2004, 12:34 PM
Contributing Member

Link doesnt work Hey I noticed the admine changed your s/n E spin
Old 03-20-2004, 01:14 PM

hehe SOMONE NOTICED! haha yeah i did what you said, and PMed PSM...and he changed it for me.

the link works for me, but oh well here is the interview...

Keiichi Tsuchiya Exclusive: Post D1 Interview courtesy of BEST MOTORing International
Formula 1 had Ayrton Senna, Champ Car had Mario Andretti, NASCAR had Richard Petty...Drifting has Keiichi Tsuchiya.

By Armaan D. Almeida

If you're like us, you'll find yourself in a conversation amongst friends or colleagues regarding some sort of sport. With us, it's either pro basketball or some form of racing. More often than not, I find myself in discussions about Formula 1. Who do you think the best F1 Driver of all time? The two popular choices of combatants are the late Ayrton Senna and Michael Schumacher. No disrespect to Juan Manuel Fangio, Nigel Mansel, or Alain Prost, but ask 10 people (that are true fans of F1), and I can guarantee 9 will name either Senna or Schumacher. They were that damn good. Obviously, this genre doesn't cater well to the average enthusiast in terms of participation. One form of motorsport that does however is Drifting. And if you were to get into a discussion regarding who the best Drifter is or was, make no mistake about it, Keiichi Tsuchiya is the One. We at Super Street Online were fortunate enough to have an opportunity (thanks to BEST MOTORing International ) to get this exclusive interview with none other than the man, the number one man in Drifting, Keiichi Tsuchiya. Enjoy.

BMV: What did you think about D1 USA?
KT: Wow it was a great event. Did you see the people? I heard 28,000 people showed up. All the drivers did great too. The 16 from Japan and the 8 Americans.

BMV: Which US drivers caught your eye?
KT: Ernie Fixmer and R. Millen. These two can compete in the Japanese D1 series. Daijiro the young kid would be ranked at D2. From next year we are squeezing D1 to only 60 cars and everyone else will have to compete from D2 to move up. Just like a minor league. There is much gap between the level of drifting so we're making another rank for the lower level.

BMV: So the top 16 drivers who went to the States are the cream of the crop?
KT: The top 16 drivers from D1 can really make a crowd go wild and give you goose bumps. Just like at D1 USA. The rest are just like, "yeah, he's a good drifter". The top D1 drivers can move you. We only brought the best to the US. But actually that doesn't mean they are all top notch. Actually we only invited 12. The remaining 4 came on their own. The drivers or team paid for the expenses. From next year we are actually going to divide the drivers into 3 ranks. D1 Super License, A class license and B class license. If you don't have enough points you can't move up to the next level. There will be a special judge license as well. Only someone who has the ability and eye to judge D1 will be able to obtain it. So these judges can be invited to go judge drifting events all over the world. From next year, it will be very important which license you have. The organizers of D1 USA asked us about all of these Japanese drifters coming to the US. I told them, "who are these guys? I don't know most of them!" What we want the people in the US to know is that, not everyone is a D1 driver. From now on if they don't have a D1 license they are just drifters from Japan. It will be more clearer next year.

BMV: What do you think of the whole drifting movement in the US?
KT: Great. Well the US has a better environment to improve your skills. I think there are fewer Touges but more tracks to practice. Did you know that they have more than 1000 oval tracks in the US? They have tons of mini circuits too. And with all of that space to practice. I'll give them 3 years to catch up to the Japanese level. Especially with guys like Ernie and Millen out there. I was a little skeptical when I saw the US drivers in June for the preliminaries but after I saw how much Ernie and Rhyse had improved in just 2 months it just blew me away. They just kept getting better, every time they went. They watch the Japanese drivers and the next time do exactly the same moves. It was incredible watching them improve each time. They are talented and have it in them to become great drifters. Honestly I was surprised. The US level will rise for sure. Watch the Drift Bible to learn how to drift. (laughs) I know the US will catch up to Japan because I saw those two guys.

BMV: How about drifting in Japan?
KT: Drifting in Japan will become more thrilling and dangerous. Nobody wants to see nice and clean drifting anymore. They want to see bumper to bumper and cars just skimming the wall. Things that'll make people scream with excitement like, "holy sh_t, no way!". Exciting and thrilling show drifting is the future of Japanese drifting.

Last edited by E Spin; 03-20-2004 at 01:35 PM.
Old 03-21-2004, 12:06 AM
Contributing Member

"courtesy of BEST MOTORing International"

easy way out LOL

I admire Tsuchiya a whole lot, he's a friendly guy and all when I met him, but I honestly don't think the comparison to Ayrton Senna, Mario Andretti, and Richard Petty is accurate.

All 3 of those people dominated the motorsport they were involved in, racking up win after win, championship after championship, leaving the rest of the competition fighting for 2nd place. ALL DOCUMENTED.

Drift King may be "Drift King" and I may have watched the infamous "Drift Bible" countless times, my ages-old VHS Option videos from WAY back with him in them too, but 2md in LeMans and a host of local wins can't compare to what Senna, Andretti, and Petty have done on a global scale.

Plus, I love the drift, but drift competitions are more subjective than objective. For all intensive purposes you could dominate a drift competition if the judges favored you. Not the same with F1, Champcar, and NASCAR. Those aren't dependent on judges... those are decided by the clock
Old 03-21-2004, 01:04 AM
Contributing Member

Tsuchiya and some D1 drivers did great on the JGTC series. Great road race drivers and drifters.
Old 03-21-2004, 03:08 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by -HyJynX-
Tsuchiya and some D1 drivers did great on the JGTC series. Great road race drivers and drifters.
Yes I know, but think "legend" - Senna, etc. are known worldwide as legends... not just in their home country
Old 03-21-2004, 03:38 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by l2aine
Yes I know, but think "legend" - Senna, etc. are known worldwide as legends... not just in their home country
True, you got me there
Old 03-21-2004, 07:12 PM

out of the three ppl you mention i know who andretti and petty are, but i never heard of Senna..who is this senna person you speak of?
Old 03-21-2004, 07:15 PM
Contributing Member

A legend of Formula 1, one of my fav. motorsports
Old 03-21-2004, 07:31 PM

is he one of those drivers in the F1 that i wouldn't know because he was racing while i was in the single digit age? haha
Old 03-21-2004, 08:04 PM
Contributing Member

Michael Schumacher < Ayrton Senna. I'm a fan but if I spelled it wrong it's because I've been watching more NBA than F1 lately.
Old 03-21-2004, 10:25 PM
Contributing Member

You missed a great race yesterday raine

Senna was racing in F1 back in the eighties(mid 80s to mid 90s I believe) and died in a crash in 94.

Quick Reply: D1GP question...