S-Chassis.com

S-Chassis.com (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/)
-   Drifting (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/drifting-47/)
-   -   Drift techniques and pointers for rookies (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/drifting-47/drift-techniques-pointers-rookies-44996/)

BlackZenki82 11-08-2008 03:03 PM

Drift techniques and pointers for rookies

As it says guys, tips and pointers...

I'm a rookie at drifting, fair share of track time as far as road courses but not so much at drifting. I've done the research, read "how tos" on drifting, and have found a few things that might work for me and my driving style that's not too advanced or hard on the drive train...

As i've said, you can read read read read about how to do it, kinda like reading about how to ride a bike, you can study it for years, and get on one and fall flat on your face. So what this thread is about is driver experience, first hand tips and pointers from people who got out there and have it mastered or close to mastered, to help out with the guys like me who are just getting started.. So please, explain what it is you do, and how you do it, details are required (IE speeds, gears, maneuvers, techniques, procedures).

No flaming please, this is intended to be instructional.

BlackZenki82 11-08-2008 03:05 PM

So far what seems to me to be the most viable thing to start on learning is..

power over
feint
shift lock

got any tips on those techniques? the most exp i've had is "controlled doughnuts" in parking lots, figure 8's wide sweeping slides, but nothing on a track..

i've found some interesting tips on this site.... *here*

USMCDrifter 11-08-2008 03:31 PM

So yeah, we've already discussed that shift-lock ISN'T a good idea for your car, especially since you wish to drive it home. It WILL destroy your transmission and your drive gear. Not fun!

You mentioned your clutch kicking doesn't work. How are you applying it?

Clutch kick is usually applied AFTER turn in, even if you combine clutch kicking with the feint movement, you would want to:

Lift
Turn out, back on the throttle,
Lift
Turn in, back on the throttle
Clutch kick
Counter

At least that's how I've applied it at events and I don't clutch kick, LOL!

For a basic clutch kick, just turn in, push on the clutch BRIEFLY (don't lay on the clutch letting your engine bang off the rev limiter). Just turn in, step on the clutch, side step or lift rapidly, and keep your right foot BURIED!

Essentially, when you clutch kick it should quickly wind up and wind down . . .

I'll try to post up some videos of each and every technique that I use to drift (mostly just feint, braking and lift off) and those I don't (I won't cover shift-lock, I like my car) that way they can be explained in full.

Sometimes seeing us grassroots guys apply the techniques makes it a little easier to get a full grasp.

-Dave

BlackZenki82 11-08-2008 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by USMCDrifter (Post 375964)

Sometimes seeing us grassroots guys apply the techniques makes it a little easier to get a full grasp.

-Dave

thats exactly what this thread is about...

so no shift lock... check...

i'll work on the clutch kicking, seat time/practice makes perfect.. i'm going to try to keep it kinda slow at this event thats coming up on the 15th... i don't want to have fun hitting a wall or anything, i'll prob try to stay close to the infield....

here's the course...
http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/i...8b4bb8947c.jpg

USMCDrifter 11-08-2008 03:47 PM

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a63...majik/hmmm.jpg

Hmmmm . . . that'd be some tire shredding goodness

And because I'm a jerk . . . the BIG BOY COURSE!!! For those with big skill or big power . . .or a little of both :FIREdevil:

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a63...gboycourse.jpg

Biggamehit 11-09-2008 08:50 AM

nice track... get on it... learn learn.

drive with-in your limits.. but with out limits.

USMCDrifter 11-09-2008 10:09 AM

Wise and Noble that lesson was . . . .

http://www.the-planets.com/star-biog...iography_3.jpg

240smoke 11-09-2008 11:47 AM

This is my first year for drifting, I mostly favor the clutch kick with the feint technique. Power-over is possible with my car but I tend to get some understeer around certain turns.

I use the E-brake to slow myself down when I am approaching a turn too fast, which happens quite often. haha. I dont know what it is but just flooring the car and having a cloud of smoke behind you just makes you feel AWESOME. haha.

I use shift-lock in the rain alot. I have only accidently dont this a couple of times in the dry.

USMCDrifter 11-09-2008 12:48 PM

Sounds like you suck . . .

BlackZenki82 11-09-2008 03:26 PM

good tips so far guys, and remember no flaming please... cause i suck too.... lol

i fully plan on pushing the limit, of myself as well as my car, yet still keepingmy it and myself within some form of comfortable reason... i'm not just going to get out there, go big like the pros and wreck.. i'll take it easy at first and then pound on it....

i use the feint, at a high speed (ie 30mph 2nd gear), and in a low gear with the RPMs just shy of wheel spin on a "feint" move, so when i do feint, they break loose and start spinning... is that a good way or what? i went out and practiced a bit today, and tried the other techniques but it was weird... i hope to be able to work em out more on the track without looking like a complete idiot...

Biggamehit 11-09-2008 05:08 PM

hahah no flaming here lol.. we all started from some where.

i have been doing it for 2 years of of my 5 seriously.... and im just and advance rookie at this point.

you cant hold back you must commit

USMCDrifter 11-09-2008 06:33 PM

I'm not flaming

This guy is flaming . . .

http://paxarcana.files.wordpress.com...rd_simmons.jpg

I'm just pickin on Smoke, he'll bite back, I'm just waiting for it, LOL!!!

-Dave

240smoke 11-09-2008 06:50 PM

I dont bite *****es. Haha. Yeah, I am still a rookie but I can connect entire tracks.

Drifting in circles around a pole helps alot. Start small and then work your way outwards, stopping to change tires as needed. haha. This helps you learn throttle control.

Unless your like Dave, he was born sideways.

USMCDrifter 11-09-2008 06:59 PM

LMAO! Nah, I still suck, I haven't learned how to adjust to various tires yet. Some people nailed it. You know what I mean? When you get a set of tires and they have HORRIBLE cold grip and EVEN WORSE hot grip?

I'm used to rocking good tires so when I put on a pair of Sh1t-Storm 100's, they tend to pull the rug from underneath me . . . .observe . . .

Note that these tires had AWESOME grip as they warmed up, then out of no where . . . the grip decided it didn't want to be a part of the equation anymore . . . .I don't get how people drift on crappy tires, it's just not practical.

240smoke 11-09-2008 07:18 PM

was it the tires or the track? The track that I go to has random dirt patches on it that makes it difficult to hold a drift.

This day we called the dust bowl. It was horrible.

Is there any way to post videos from other websites?

This is the video.

http://videos.streetfire.net/vidiac....0-9b14000ec231

Hand Brake Drift (E-brake)- one of the basic drift techniques. pull the E-Brake (hand brake) to lose rear tire traction. throttle is needed to continue the drift. (this technique can be used to initiate drift, slow down, correct errors, or fine tune drift angle)

Clutch Kick- this is performed by holding throttle constant and "kicking" the clutch pedal to give a sudden jolt through the driveline to upset rear traction. (this technique can be used to initiate drift, speed up, correct errors, or change drift angle)

Feint Drift- this is performed by rocking the car towards the opposite direction of a turn and then using the rebound of grip to throw the car into the normal cornering direction. (note: this can be used in conjunction with other techniques to improve the results of that texhnique)

Braking Drift- this is performed by braking before a corner while starting to turn in. weight is shifted to the front wheels, causing the brake to have more effect on the rear wheels. steering and throttle control is then needed to compensate the initial oversteer effect.

Power Over- this is performed by entering a corner using heavy throttle to initiate drift. (note: high horsepower is needed to achieve suitable results on this technique)

Shift Lock- this is performed by downshifting into a corner and then releasing the clutch to slow the rear tires, losing traction. (this causes the rear tires to spin slower than the front: pulling the E-brake, with the benefit of being ready to get on the throttle. note this technique stressed the drivetrain)

Dirt Drop- this is performed by dropping the rear tires off the road into a lower traction surface to maintain or gain drift angle. (note: this technique is very useful for low horsepower cars, also good show move to produce a dirt rooster tail)

Kansei Drift- this is performed at race speeds. when entering a high speed corner the driver lifts his/her foot off the throttle while slightly turning into the corner to induce a mild oversteer and then balances the drift through steering, braking and throttle motions. (note: the car that is being used for this style of drift should be a neutral balanced car therefore the over steer will be induce when this technique is applied, if the car plows through any turn this technique will not work)

Jump Drift- in this technique the rear tire on the inside of a turn or apex is bounced over a rumble strip to help lose traction resulting in oversteer.

Choku Dori- this is done by pulling the E-brake through a straight to start a high angle drift and to hold this angle to set up for the turn ahead. (note: this can only be done at high speed)

Manji- this is a slow swaying faint like drift where the rear end sways back and forth down a straight.