Drifting Like to go sideways? Check this forum out.

how to exit a drift

Old 01-15-2004, 09:23 PM

how to exit a drift

ok as you may know im somewhat new to the drift scene (atleast doing it first hand) and i was curious how you exit a drift a few of my friends said let go of the wheel to straighten back out but im a little hesitant to just let go of the wheel while im sideways and just go straight into something or somethin crazy, and the way i been doin it the exit is a little rough with some body roll and a lil swirve type action and after watching people drift I noticed they dont seem to do that, but just curious what you guys techniques might be and any other tips would be cool I read through most the drift rules and tips and I didnt really find any posts on technique but thanks
Old 01-16-2004, 10:38 AM
Contributing Member

just let go of the wheel and keep on the trottle you will be fine
Old 01-16-2004, 03:58 PM

yea thats what they said but i didnt know if they were being serious cause they play around alot so i thought id ask yall to be sure
Old 01-18-2004, 11:20 AM
Contributing Member

Letting go of the wheel may seem scary at first because of that brief moment when you're not actually steering your car, but remember that cars are designed to try to go as straight as possible. The toe, caster, camber, etc. all are set mainly to keep the car straight and stable.

Keep in mind you only would do the "let og of the wheel" thing at the absolute end of the drift, where you're already pointing the right direction. I'd hate to hear of someone who tried to drift, got into the middle of a mean right hander... then let go of the steering wheel thinking that it's automatic
Old 01-18-2004, 01:09 PM

I let go of the steering wheel when I drive. And I'm not even drifting.

But really, if you straighten out the steering wheel and work the throttle properly, it'll be fine.
Old 01-18-2004, 10:34 PM

Well, being my first post, you guys wont take me seriously. I have a AE86 and was in DD6, but joined the forum cuz I just got a S13.
Anyways, from my experiences with the 86 (or drifting in general), you never want to take hands off the steering wheel. The roads aren't always smooth and what if you hit a pothole or bump and that sudden jerk can cause major destination change. I always keep both hands on the wheel exiting a drift, but thats just me. I like to feel in control and by making sure my hands are on the wheel, I wont get nervous. Have fun learning! Drive safe
Old 01-19-2004, 02:12 AM

Originally posted by MayanWarrior
Well, being my first post, you guys wont take me seriously.
Why wouldn't we take you seriously?
Old 01-19-2004, 06:19 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by s13 240
Why wouldn't we take you seriously?
that's what i'm wondering. don't sweat it, guy. we're good people here (and less judgemental than u'd think ).
Old 01-19-2004, 08:43 AM

woohoo another club4ager lol.. yeah man they all koo ppl .. but yeah i'm wit him on the ae86.. man i cant let go of the wheel..i havent drifted the s13 yet .. but from what i got on the 86 if i let it go sometimes i'll shoot off the road or maybe it'll whip around faster than i can catch the wheel.. but man if your just gettin a lil wiggle at the end of the drift.. just keep practicing.. i think the end of your drift will be determined by how you drive how your cars set up and how the road is.. SO JUST KEEP WORKIN AT IT think smooth before you drive think about what it would take to smooth that out .. but you doin good peace
Old 01-19-2004, 03:11 PM
Contributing Member

you should not release all contact of the wheel open your hands move them just mm your palm should be in contact with the wheel so you can grab back on... you shouldnt let go and scratch your *****.... if you watch video from any d1 the drivers let g of the wheel offten...
Old 01-19-2004, 06:13 PM

lol thanks for all the helpful replies i been workin on it and figurin it out and startin to progress and i still cant rev past 4k so i cant even use any power to drift and im driftin almost as well as my friend with a sr (i know that has nothin to do with skill its the driver when it comes to drifitn but he still has the advantage to get mor sideways than me) and hes been in it longer he been helpin out too hopefully soon I'll get some action shots to post up