S-Chassis.com

S-Chassis.com (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/)
-   Drifting (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/drifting-47/)
-   -   Is it Possible to drift with open diff (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/drifting-47/possible-drift-open-diff-7264/)

stannyboy 11-06-2003 08:24 PM

Is it Possible to drift with open diff

does anyone know if its possible to do decent drifts with open differintal meaning no lsd. I know lsd is good for traction. but i can't afford it right now and want to start drifting. will i be ok?

-HyJynX- 11-06-2003 09:02 PM

Re: Is it Possible to drift with open diff

Originally posted by stannyboy
does anyone know if its possible to do decent drifts with open differintal meaning no lsd. I know lsd is good for traction. but i can't afford it right now and want to start drifting. will i be ok?
u should be 0k, u wont be the best drifter out there but u can get pretty good with a Open diff. You will be more prone to spinning out so u have to have more control of ur car, which might actually help u become a better driver.:dunno:

l2aine 11-07-2003 04:35 AM

Fully possible... I've been practicing with an open diff since I got my car, but in the long run eventually if you continue with drifting start saving money for a good 2-way LSD :thumb:

4984 5fsdskfvjdsntr4 11-07-2003 05:42 AM

I second that motion, just watch it when you exit the drifts, one tires gonna grab and pull you suddenly.

l2aine 11-07-2003 06:04 AM

Originally posted by Nunook
I second that motion, just watch it when you exit the drifts, one tires gonna grab and pull you suddenly.
So true... but it quickens your steering reaction quite a bit after you experience it many times :thumb:

StanBo 11-11-2003 10:15 AM

Lend me your car. I will blow that ****ing tire up before it even thinks to grip again. Then we will only have to change one every couple runs.

l2aine 11-11-2003 10:33 AM

Originally posted by StanBo
Lend me your car. I will blow that ****ing tire up before it even thinks to grip again. Then we will only have to change one every couple runs.
so true LOL!

SHIFT_Lock 11-14-2003 02:38 PM

it's actually best to learn to drift with a open diff first.

the best drifts are left hand turns.

i like stanbo's remark....so true. but the other would still be usable. when i got my first 240 with a sr i toasted many rh side rear tires.

open diff left hand circles and wet ,is a decent combo for cheap fun.

and basic control exercises.

Jonas 11-17-2003 08:16 PM

yes you can drift with open diff... and i stand behind the tampa florida no ants drift team that was once all open diff... and owned all in drifting...

make life fun though and get an lsd multi purpose mod mang

240sxguy72 11-22-2003 02:05 PM

i was drifting once and my tire caught traction and flung me into a fence.............i need more practice!! Getting there though.

StanBo 11-22-2003 02:32 PM

Originally posted by 240sxguy72
i was drifting once and my tire caught traction and flung me into a fence.............i need more practice!! Getting there though.
You might not have had enough steam behind you. I drift with open diffs and they both scream. The car is thrown into a turn faster and the dominant tire usually doesn't have the grip to catch.

That used to happen to me when I first started.

Just hit the turn faster. Twice the speed at least.

Jonas 11-22-2003 03:39 PM

Originally posted by 240sxguy72
basically your need to not drift where there are objects that will F your car up...

and stanbo... basically all i see in your sig is your car doing a burnout with your front wheels turned??!!! lol :naughty: jk

StanBo 11-22-2003 04:38 PM

Originally posted by Jonas
basically your need to not drift where there are objects that will F your car up...

and stanbo... basically all i see in your sig is your car doing a burnout with your front wheels turned??!!! lol :naughty: jk

It is hard to do that. I had one turn but had to stop going because it was in an industrial area where dump trucks ride. They deal with cement and would powder the turn. Sliding towards ditches sucks.

Jonas 11-22-2003 05:23 PM

its ok, bust a few tie rods be hardcore and call it a night!!!

240sxguy72 11-22-2003 06:27 PM

Originally posted by StanBo
You might not have had enough steam behind you. I drift with open diffs and they both scream. The car is thrown into a turn faster and the dominant tire usually doesn't have the grip to catch.

That used to happen to me when I first started.

Just hit the turn faster. Twice the speed at least.

Yea, i think that was my problem. i didn't have enough speed going into the turn and i let off the throttle too soon. it's hard to find a decent place to drift around here. man i wish people would stop being so uptight. just be glad we aren't street racing.