Go Back  S-Chassis.com > Competition > Drifting
Reload this Page >

Is it Possible to drift with open diff

Drifting Like to go sideways? Check this forum out.

Is it Possible to drift with open diff

Old 11-06-2003, 08:24 PM

Question Is it Possible to drift with open diff

does anyone know if its possible to do decent drifts with open differintal meaning no lsd. I know lsd is good for traction. but i can't afford it right now and want to start drifting. will i be ok?
Old 11-06-2003, 09:02 PM
Contributing Member

Re: Is it Possible to drift with open diff

Originally posted by stannyboy
does anyone know if its possible to do decent drifts with open differintal meaning no lsd. I know lsd is good for traction. but i can't afford it right now and want to start drifting. will i be ok?
u should be 0k, u wont be the best drifter out there but u can get pretty good with a Open diff. You will be more prone to spinning out so u have to have more control of ur car, which might actually help u become a better driver.
Old 11-07-2003, 04:35 AM
Contributing Member

Fully possible... I've been practicing with an open diff since I got my car, but in the long run eventually if you continue with drifting start saving money for a good 2-way LSD
Old 11-07-2003, 05:42 AM
Banned

I second that motion, just watch it when you exit the drifts, one tires gonna grab and pull you suddenly.
Old 11-07-2003, 06:04 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Nunook
I second that motion, just watch it when you exit the drifts, one tires gonna grab and pull you suddenly.
So true... but it quickens your steering reaction quite a bit after you experience it many times
Old 11-11-2003, 10:15 AM
Contributing Member

Lend me your car. I will blow that ****ing tire up before it even thinks to grip again. Then we will only have to change one every couple runs.
Old 11-11-2003, 10:33 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by StanBo
Lend me your car. I will blow that ****ing tire up before it even thinks to grip again. Then we will only have to change one every couple runs.
so true LOL!
Old 11-14-2003, 02:38 PM

it's actually best to learn to drift with a open diff first.

the best drifts are left hand turns.

i like stanbo's remark....so true. but the other would still be usable. when i got my first 240 with a sr i toasted many rh side rear tires.

open diff left hand circles and wet ,is a decent combo for cheap fun.

and basic control exercises.
Old 11-17-2003, 08:16 PM

yes you can drift with open diff... and i stand behind the tampa florida no ants drift team that was once all open diff... and owned all in drifting...

make life fun though and get an lsd multi purpose mod mang
Old 11-22-2003, 02:05 PM

i was drifting once and my tire caught traction and flung me into a fence.............i need more practice!! Getting there though.
Old 11-22-2003, 02:32 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by 240sxguy72
i was drifting once and my tire caught traction and flung me into a fence.............i need more practice!! Getting there though.
You might not have had enough steam behind you. I drift with open diffs and they both scream. The car is thrown into a turn faster and the dominant tire usually doesn't have the grip to catch.

That used to happen to me when I first started.

Just hit the turn faster. Twice the speed at least.
Old 11-22-2003, 03:39 PM

Originally posted by 240sxguy72
basically your need to not drift where there are objects that will F your car up...

and stanbo... basically all i see in your sig is your car doing a burnout with your front wheels turned??!!! lol jk
Old 11-22-2003, 04:38 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Jonas
basically your need to not drift where there are objects that will F your car up...

and stanbo... basically all i see in your sig is your car doing a burnout with your front wheels turned??!!! lol jk
It is hard to do that. I had one turn but had to stop going because it was in an industrial area where dump trucks ride. They deal with cement and would powder the turn. Sliding towards ditches sucks.
Old 11-22-2003, 05:23 PM

its ok, bust a few tie rods be hardcore and call it a night!!!
Old 11-22-2003, 06:27 PM

Originally posted by StanBo
You might not have had enough steam behind you. I drift with open diffs and they both scream. The car is thrown into a turn faster and the dominant tire usually doesn't have the grip to catch.

That used to happen to me when I first started.

Just hit the turn faster. Twice the speed at least.
Yea, i think that was my problem. i didn't have enough speed going into the turn and i let off the throttle too soon. it's hard to find a decent place to drift around here. man i wish people would stop being so uptight. just be glad we aren't street racing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is it Possible to drift with open diff

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.