Go Back  S-Chassis.com > Competition > Drifting
Reload this Page >

Is it Possible to drift with open diff

Drifting Like to go sideways? Check this forum out.

Is it Possible to drift with open diff

Old 11-06-2003, 08:24 PM
  #1  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
stannyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: California
Posts: 60
Question Is it Possible to drift with open diff

does anyone know if its possible to do decent drifts with open differintal meaning no lsd. I know lsd is good for traction. but i can't afford it right now and want to start drifting. will i be ok?
stannyboy is offline  
Old 11-06-2003, 09:02 PM
  #2  
Contributing Member
 
-HyJynX-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Pasadena,ca
Posts: 10,109
Re: Is it Possible to drift with open diff

Originally posted by stannyboy
does anyone know if its possible to do decent drifts with open differintal meaning no lsd. I know lsd is good for traction. but i can't afford it right now and want to start drifting. will i be ok?
u should be 0k, u wont be the best drifter out there but u can get pretty good with a Open diff. You will be more prone to spinning out so u have to have more control of ur car, which might actually help u become a better driver.
-HyJynX- is offline  
Old 11-07-2003, 04:35 AM
  #3  
Contributing Member
 
l2aine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Socal, 909/626
Posts: 6,587
Fully possible... I've been practicing with an open diff since I got my car, but in the long run eventually if you continue with drifting start saving money for a good 2-way LSD
l2aine is offline  
Old 11-07-2003, 05:42 AM
  #4  
Banned
 
dKedkj33j@$'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 189
I second that motion, just watch it when you exit the drifts, one tires gonna grab and pull you suddenly.
dKedkj33j@$ is offline  
Old 11-07-2003, 06:04 AM
  #5  
Contributing Member
 
l2aine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Socal, 909/626
Posts: 6,587
Originally posted by Nunook
I second that motion, just watch it when you exit the drifts, one tires gonna grab and pull you suddenly.
So true... but it quickens your steering reaction quite a bit after you experience it many times
l2aine is offline  
Old 11-11-2003, 10:15 AM
  #6  
Contributing Member
 
StanBo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,817
Lend me your car. I will blow that ****ing tire up before it even thinks to grip again. Then we will only have to change one every couple runs.
StanBo is offline  
Old 11-11-2003, 10:33 AM
  #7  
Contributing Member
 
l2aine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Socal, 909/626
Posts: 6,587
Originally posted by StanBo
Lend me your car. I will blow that ****ing tire up before it even thinks to grip again. Then we will only have to change one every couple runs.
so true LOL!
l2aine is offline  
Old 11-14-2003, 02:38 PM
  #8  
Registered User
 
SHIFT_Lock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: in my car!
Posts: 204
it's actually best to learn to drift with a open diff first.

the best drifts are left hand turns.

i like stanbo's remark....so true. but the other would still be usable. when i got my first 240 with a sr i toasted many rh side rear tires.



open diff left hand circles and wet ,is a decent combo for cheap fun.


and basic control exercises.
SHIFT_Lock is offline  
Old 11-17-2003, 08:16 PM
  #9  
Registered User
 
Jonas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 398
yes you can drift with open diff... and i stand behind the tampa florida no ants drift team that was once all open diff... and owned all in drifting...


make life fun though and get an lsd multi purpose mod mang
Jonas is offline  
Old 11-22-2003, 02:05 PM
  #10  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Elizabethtown, pa
Posts: 32
i was drifting once and my tire caught traction and flung me into a fence.............i need more practice!! Getting there though.
240sxguy72 is offline  
Old 11-22-2003, 02:32 PM
  #11  
Contributing Member
 
StanBo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,817
Originally posted by 240sxguy72
i was drifting once and my tire caught traction and flung me into a fence.............i need more practice!! Getting there though.
You might not have had enough steam behind you. I drift with open diffs and they both scream. The car is thrown into a turn faster and the dominant tire usually doesn't have the grip to catch.

That used to happen to me when I first started.

Just hit the turn faster. Twice the speed at least.
StanBo is offline  
Old 11-22-2003, 03:39 PM
  #12  
Registered User
 
Jonas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 398
Originally posted by 240sxguy72
i was drifting once and my tire caught traction and flung me into a fence.............i need more practice!! Getting there though.
basically your need to not drift where there are objects that will F your car up...

and stanbo... basically all i see in your sig is your car doing a burnout with your front wheels turned??!!! lol jk
Jonas is offline  
Old 11-22-2003, 04:38 PM
  #13  
Contributing Member
 
StanBo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,817
Originally posted by Jonas
basically your need to not drift where there are objects that will F your car up...

and stanbo... basically all i see in your sig is your car doing a burnout with your front wheels turned??!!! lol jk
It is hard to do that. I had one turn but had to stop going because it was in an industrial area where dump trucks ride. They deal with cement and would powder the turn. Sliding towards ditches sucks.
StanBo is offline  
Old 11-22-2003, 05:23 PM
  #14  
Registered User
 
Jonas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 398
its ok, bust a few tie rods be hardcore and call it a night!!!
Jonas is offline  
Old 11-22-2003, 06:27 PM
  #15  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Elizabethtown, pa
Posts: 32
Originally posted by StanBo
You might not have had enough steam behind you. I drift with open diffs and they both scream. The car is thrown into a turn faster and the dominant tire usually doesn't have the grip to catch.

That used to happen to me when I first started.

Just hit the turn faster. Twice the speed at least.
Yea, i think that was my problem. i didn't have enough speed going into the turn and i let off the throttle too soon. it's hard to find a decent place to drift around here. man i wish people would stop being so uptight. just be glad we aren't street racing.
240sxguy72 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is it Possible to drift with open diff


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.