Drifting Like to go sideways? Check this forum out.

What kind of tires are suggested 4 drifting???

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2003, 06:22 AM

What kind of tires are suggested 4 drifting???

Yo, i cant decide on what kind if tires i should get...so if any of you have any recommendations...please tell me (if you have the time)...im asking you all because i cant find shiat on any websites...so can you help a bra out???

i heard i could get firestones but...
Old 09-23-2003, 07:34 PM
Contributing Member

Any kind of tires Your ganna kill them anyways
Old 09-23-2003, 08:03 PM

i've asked this question a couple of times on other forums...and the majority of replies were the same.

FRONT - Any high performance or ultra high performance tire...to grip the road because the front tires are the tires that help you go in certain directions

REAR - a all season tire with High tread wear. I THINK it's the higher the tread wear the longer the tire lives.

...i'm still a beginner in drifting, so if someone more experienced reads this and i'm wrong PLEASE correct me.

....oh and -HYJNX-...everyday i constantly make the same wish...but the problem is that it doesn't come true
Old 09-23-2003, 08:10 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Dj E Spin
i've asked this question a couple of times on other forums...and the majority of replies were the same.

FRONT - Any high performance or ultra high performance tire...to grip the road because the front tires are the tires that help you go in certain directions

REAR - a all season tire with High tread wear. I THINK it's the higher the tread wear the longer the tire lives.

...i'm still a beginner in drifting, so if someone more experienced reads this and i'm wrong PLEASE correct me.

....oh and -HYJNX-...everyday i constantly make the same wish...but the problem is that it doesn't come true
pretty much got it right there..im not a pro but there are a few people on here that might help ya out on this a lil more. Oh and i still wish it
Old 09-23-2003, 08:21 PM

oh i'd also like to add that i've seen many people use Nitto Nt555 tires, Falken St115, Yokohama ADB 2, Bridgestone Potenza S03..and then theres the BFGoodrich GForce T/A KD...hope that helps too.....oh and there is also the Dunlop FM901..also by the way these tires might heavy on the wallet

Last edited by E Spin; 09-24-2003 at 05:46 AM.
Old 09-23-2003, 10:43 PM
Contributing Member

Re: ...

Originally posted by Dj E Spin
oh i'd also like to add that i've seen many people use Nitto Nt555 tires, Falken St115, Yokohama ADB 2, Bridgestone Potenza S03..and then theres the BFGoodrich GForce T/A KD...hope that helps too.....oh and there is also the Dunlop FM901
WOW all the tires on that list are expensive as hell, IMO i wouldn't use them for drifting, you might as well as take ur wallet and throw it in the toilet I'm no pro but when i go "try" to drift i put on my stock SE wheels with some perelli "el cheapos" in the front and some dunlop sp"el crapos" in the rear
Old 09-24-2003, 06:24 AM

Ok dudes thanks for the advise!!!

Old 09-24-2003, 06:39 AM
Contributing Member

The three front tires I have used so far are:

Potenza S03
Azenis Sport
Kumho Victoracers

I run what I can afford in the rear. Kumhos, Michelins, Goodyears bla bla bla.

I try to get new tires because they are not old and rotten.

I run through a lot of money getting tires. I mounted and balanced:

2 x 16
4 x 15

For $180. I roasted a pair yesturday but I lucked out because there were still some wet spots on the track.

Today should be insane.
Old 09-24-2003, 07:31 AM

what track are you talkin about???
Old 09-24-2003, 08:06 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by NOS_is_4_cheat
what track are you talkin about???
Englishtown Raceway Park.
Old 09-24-2003, 07:19 PM

which tyres to use depends a lot on your setup/experience. If you are running a relatively stock setup and you are a newbie, stick to the cheapest stuff you can find. You want tyres with great treadwear and the fronts should be a little grippy, but it isn't a big concern because you won't be makin much power. However if you are swapped/tuned you are gonna want nice grippy rubber up front to keep your nose pointed in the right direction and in the back I still recommend running a summer only tyre but look for affordability and treadwear over performance, this tyres are supposed to spin not grip eh?
Old 09-25-2003, 06:28 AM

sounds good...thanks dude...and do you mean i should get used tires on the back and new ones on the front.......or should i just get all new tires and roast em' down to very little tread...oh yea ive never drifted b4...but i will soon...
Old 09-25-2003, 08:57 AM
Contributing Member

would be best to have Newer or brand new tires up front and used tires in the rear.
Old 09-25-2003, 11:41 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by -HyJynX-
would be best to have Newer or brand new tires up front and used tires in the rear.
New all around.

Used old tires get brittle and only last one run. That means now you wasted your time dragging that pair of rims out to the event and could have had more runs with a newer tires. They might cost more at the begining but they will give you more life.

Last night I had my wife follow me in the truck. She carried 8 spares for me and I had 4 in my car.

6 made it home. I will post some pics and video when we get it.

Signal crashed.

A new gut smashed into a pole.

Josh the guy that won banged into a concrete barrier.

I left drift marks 1' from the barriers, leaving my *** about 6" from the concrete.

JR hit the barrier in the finals backed up and kept on trucking.

It was insane!
Old 09-25-2003, 12:07 PM
Contributing Member

Pics now stan! And on the new tires..when starting out dontcha think it would be best to do it on used tires? Then again im a newb at this hehe.

Quick Reply: What kind of tires are suggested 4 drifting???